Bottle or glass ?

swanmark

Can someone answer this dilemma, if your on an all inclusive drinks package, why can't you order a bottle of wine to take to your room without being charged for it. And I can never understand why you can't use the drinks in the mini bar without being charged, it doesn't make sense if your on an all inclusive drinks package.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

1. Because if they give you the bottle you might share it with someone else.

2. Because they don't know who drank what from your mini bar.

BTW, if you sail on MSC in the Yacht Club it is somewhat different:

1. You don't get the bottle but your butler brings you whatever you want whenever you want.

2. Everything in the mini bar is included and it is replenished daily. More often if requested.

What cruise line? RCI / Celebrity's drink packages with regards to wine are by the glass, but are unlimited in the amount you can get. The "mini bars" are mainly coolers that are not stocked with alcoholic beverages - just sodas, water, and snacks which are separate from the packages and are for a charge as a result. But that point is moot now as RCI has stopped stocking them unless requested by the passengers.

Well, mostly because everyone does it that way so they can...

Think the wine by the glass vs by the bottle is that there are many fewer choices available by the glass than by the bottle. They'll give you the wine by the glass for free with your package but if you want the 'good stuff' they'd rather you pay for a bottle

Think the minibar is both the sharing and it being a convenience item. Again, if they can get you to spend money on top of your drink package they will...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can someone answer this dilemma, if your on an all inclusive drinks package, why can't you order a bottle of wine to take to your room without being charged for it. And I can never understand why you can't use the drinks in the mini bar without being charged, it doesn't make sense if your on an all inclusive drinks package.

You may or may not see it as a rational business decision (although the cruise line certainly does), but it is not a dilemma. The cruise line provides you the option (with all of its featured benefits and exclusions) and you decide whether the value to you is worth the price. That's how informed consumption decisions work in a free society.

You can bring your own wine (2 bottles per cabin, assuming there are 2 adults in the cabin) on almost every line....NCL does charge a "corkage fee", but none of the other lines do. (Well, some will charge if you take the BOTTLE to the dining room...RCI doesn't do that).

The packages are PER PERSON....if they allowed you to buy quantities of booze at one time, or use the mini-bar items, you could conceivably share with others....which is against the "package" rules. That's why.

Really? You don't know why? Kind of obvious!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They will not know if you shared the wine.

They will not know if you were the one who consumed the drinks in the mini bar.

<p>

Really? You don't know why? Kind of obvious!</p><br><p><br>

<br> Well its not obvious to me as I am a first time cruiser, I was looking for advice not a sarcastic reply, luckily others on this list are a bit more helpful.<br>

<br>

Sent from my iPhone using <a href="https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=76452" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Forums</a>

<br>

<br>

</p><br>

If it is so obvious, please explain it to everyone since you seem to know all about cruise economics.

Not that tough to understand if you have any understanding of what a drinks package is. Virtually all packages provide for up to a certain number of drinks per day - but have a ceiling per-drink price. If you want a super-premium scotch, you will pay the difference, for example. Any drink costing more than the ceiling (usually about $10) will require a supplemental payment.

Any bottle of wine costing anything near that $10 ceiling would not be worth drinking.

But simply put: no drinks package is promoted with no limits. You get what you pay for - as described in the particular program.

I was under the impression, that if one person in a cabin purchased a drinks package, then all in that cabin had to purchase the same package, Is that correct? At least on some lines?

If so, that would solve most of the "sharing" concerns....

On the other hand, if they gave you the whole bottle, you could take it off the ship with you, instead of drinking it on board, I suppose....