Is P&O for us?

SquishTheWhale

I'm considering a P&O Caribbean 14 night cruise next year and I'm just a little worried if it will be the right fit for us. We are both 31 (getting married this year!), so fairly young and active. We aren't party animals- we like a cocktail or two, but my clubbing days are way behind me lol. I'm just a little worried if we will find P&O boring, or- in the nicest possible way- the demographic too old. We have sailed NCL and I know the feel will be different as NCL is very American. We enjoy a mixed bag of activities, from sports to dance classes to just chilling and reading. We love shows and musicals, not so much tribute acts although I'm sure we'd give anything a go. I'm aware the P&O ships don't have the rock climbing walls and zip wires etc on NCL, but we don't neccessarily need those things to have fun. However if it's all games of bridge and deck bowles then it's not for us.

Any help? Anyone sailed both lines and enjoy both?

Caribbean fly cruises do have a slightly younger element especially those around the school holidays. Not a lot of bridge played on those cruises either. Deck games, well you have to be fit for those. :) I think you just have to try both as only you will be able to judge. P&O are ahead of the others in relation to getting there as they have it sorted. Bags go straight to the ship and off the plane and on to the ship in under the hour is not uncommon.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you! Really useful :) That is partly what appeals to me- that they sort you out with the flights and transfers and everything. I don't mind booking stuff seperatley but NCL can't compete with their prices when you look at it all packaged up like that.

It's good to know that Caribbean cruises are a little younger. Of course I don't mind mingling with all generations, I just don't want us to be the only couple under 60 on the ship lol! You're right, we can only find out by giving it a go.

TBH only you will know by doing your own research online and brochures whether P&O is for you or not. Ask advice for any info but personal info is just that personal there are loads that say P&O are fantastic without ever cruising on any other cruise line so not really a balanced view . Find out as much as you can and then make your own decision because some love certain ships and equally others hate the same ships the same response with regards to food. Whichever cruise line you decide hope you have an enjoyable cruise.

Hi. Don't worry you'll love P&O. There is something for all age groups. Myself & my wife are 38 & been cruising with P&O for 7 years and they have always given us a great holiday. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you! Glad to know you enjoy P&O, I'm feeling more confident that we would enjoy it too

TBH only you will know by doing your own research online and brochures whether P&O is for you or not. Ask advice for any info but personal info is just that personal there are loads that say P&O are fantastic without ever cruising on any other cruise line so not really a balanced view . Find out as much as you can and then make your own decision because some love certain ships and equally others hate the same ships the same response with regards to food. Whichever cruise line you decide hope you have an enjoyable cruise.

Thank you- I have done quite a lot if research, I guess it's just hard to know what it will be like without hearing some first hand experience! It looks good on paper though. I'm keen to try lots of different cruise lines, otherwise how will I know which I like the best! I love the freestyle concept of NCL but I may find I prefer other aspects of P&O.

I'm considering a P&O Caribbean 14 night cruise next year and I'm just a little worried if it will be the right fit for us. We are both 31 (getting married this year!), so fairly young and active. We aren't party animals- we like a cocktail or two, but my clubbing days are way behind me lol. I'm just a little worried if we will find P&O boring, or- in the nicest possible way- the demographic too old. We have sailed NCL and I know the feel will be different as NCL is very American. We enjoy a mixed bag of activities, from sports to dance classes to just chilling and reading. We love shows and musicals, not so much tribute acts although I'm sure we'd give anything a go. I'm aware the P&O ships don't have the rock climbing walls and zip wires etc on NCL, but we don't neccessarily need those things to have fun. However if it's all games of bridge and deck bowles then it's not for us.

Any help? Anyone sailed both lines and enjoy both?

You sound like a younger version of us --- am sure that you will have a great time :D

We were about 33 when we first started cruising, 48 now. We find the demographic varies from cruise to cruise as other posters have said. For example we did a term time no-fly, 24 night cruise last year on an adult only ship, so this rules out most people who work or have kids the average age seemed to be about 70-80. On the other hand shorter cruises get a wider age range. I have to say it doesn't really bother us, we are fairly lazy on holiday and usually manage to find people we have something in common with. I find the shows incredibly dull and repetitive so unless we sail on Britannia we don't go to them, instead we take a memory stick full of films, I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea but once we've had dinner and a bottle of wine we are happy to veg out - we lead a fast paced working life so the contrast appeals. The sea day entertainment isn't great either unless you like crafts, flower arranging, jigsaws or various events which are really just selling events. Again we aren't bothered, happy to read, visit the hydropool if it's a ship with one, go to the cinema, a guest speaker (often war or police related) etc. The Caribbean cruises don't have many sea days I don't think, so I'm sure you will be fine, and at least you will know for the future.

We were about 33 when we first started cruising, 48 now. We find the demographic varies from cruise to cruise as other posters have said. For example we did a term time no-fly, 24 night cruise last year on an adult only ship, so this rules out most people who work or have kids the average age seemed to be about 70-80. On the other hand shorter cruises get a wider age range. I have to say it doesn't really bother us, we are fairly lazy on holiday and usually manage to find people we have something in common with. I find the shows incredibly dull and repetitive so unless we sail on Britannia we don't go to them, instead we take a memory stick full of films, I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea but once we've had dinner and a bottle of wine we are happy to veg out - we lead a fast paced working life so the contrast appeals. The sea day entertainment isn't great either unless you like crafts, flower arranging, jigsaws or various events which are really just selling events. Again we aren't bothered, happy to read, visit the hydropool if it's a ship with one, go to the cinema, a guest speaker (often war or police related) etc. The Caribbean cruises don't have many sea days I don't think, so I'm sure you will be fine, and at least you will know for the future.

Thanks for the useful info! We love watching movies and catching up on box sets so the usb idea appeals. Does that work in the tvs on all ships/cabins? Is the entertainment much better on Britannia then? The 2017 itinerary I like is on Britannia so maybe the 2018 one will be too.

To be honest on our NCL cruise we had 5 sea days and apart from the dance classes we didn't really take part in activities. My fiancé used the gym a lot and I enjoyed just exploring the ship and chilling out. So if the sea day activities aren't to our taste I can live with that. The entertainment on NCL is fantastic in the evening though.

As previously mentioned a lot depends on the itinerary, date and location and not necessarily the cruise line. For example Southampton cruises tend to attract an older clientele who would prefer not to have the added hassle of flights,transfers etc.

Also cruises out of school holidays will also generally have an older crowd.

I am going on my first P&O cruise in a couple of weeks and expecting an older crowd, just hope there's are not too many mobility scooters .

We have done a couple of NCL med cruises and loved them. We are heading out to the Caribbean this Christmas and I don't think that it will be a quiet affair! We considered a lot of lines and we're quite happy with P&O. That said, we haven't yet been on one before but think you should be fine. Sun, cocktails, fab islands, what could be better?!

As previously mentioned a lot depends on the itinerary, date and location and not necessarily the cruise line. For example Southampton cruises tend to attract an older clientele who would prefer not to have the added hassle of flights,transfers etc.

I am going on my first P&O cruise in a couple of weeks and expecting an older crowd, just hope there's are not too many mobility scooters .

Why not, do we who have to use them not deserve to cruise. Rather an offensive post I am afraid.

Edited by daiB

Why not, do we who have to use them not deserve to cruise. Rather an offensive post I am afraid.

Did not intend to cause offence and apologies if I did. Its just that there was a significant number arrogant scooter users who had no consideration for other cruisers on my last trip. I am hoping there will be a better class of driver on P&O.:)

Thanks for the useful info! We love watching movies and catching up on box sets so the usb idea appeals. Does that work in the tvs on all ships/cabins? Is the entertainment much better on Britannia then? The 2017 itinerary I like is on Britannia so maybe the 2018 one will be too.

To be honest on our NCL cruise we had 5 sea days and apart from the dance classes we didn't really take part in activities. My fiancé used the gym a lot and I enjoyed just exploring the ship and chilling out. So if the sea day activities aren't to our taste I can live with that. The entertainment on NCL is fantastic in the evening though.

I can't remember if the USB plugs into Britannia TVs, but, they are better than the other ships I have been on as they have a good selection of pre loaded films, you have to pay for some but it's not much. I do remember trying to hook up an iPad to the TV and I couldn't get that to work.

We preferred the entertainment on Britannia, they had special effects in the theatre and it had a more modern feel. We also liked the limelight club which was a dining and entertainment venue.

You probably know this but the balconies on Britannia are quite small, only enough room to sit. There is a Retreat which is a private subbed area which you can use for a fee.

Good luck deciding!

I don't mind them Dai, until they drive into the back of your legs, which has happened twice!!

Well deal with the individual and do not tar everyone.

Did not intend to cause offence and apologies if I did. Its just that there was a significant number arrogant scooter users who had no consideration for other cruisers on my last trip. I am hoping there will be a better class of driver on P&O.:)

As I have said deal with the individual and do not insult everyone who is stuck in a scooter.

I can't remember if the USB plugs into Britannia TVs, but, they are better than the other ships I have been on as they have a good selection of pre loaded films, you have to pay for some but it's not much. I do remember trying to hook up an iPad to the TV and I couldn't get that to work.

We preferred the entertainment on Britannia, they had special effects in the theatre and it had a more modern feel. We also liked the limelight club which was a dining and entertainment venue.

You probably know this but the balconies on Britannia are quite small, only enough room to sit. There is a Retreat which is a private subbed area which you can use for a fee.

Good luck deciding!

Sounds like the balconies are the same size as on the NCL big ships then! Although my fiancé is talking about us booking an inside (yet he complained about our inside on the Epic!). If I'm in the Caribbean I want a balcony though! Maybe I will sneakily book one and pretend we have been upgraded ;)

If Britannia is bettet for entertainment that would be my choice then! We are fairly easily pleased but I do like some decent evening entertainment.

Sounds like the balconies are the same size as on the NCL big ships then! Although my fiancé is talking about us booking an inside (yet he complained about our inside on the Epic!). If I'm in the Caribbean I want a balcony though! Maybe I will sneakily book one and pretend we have been upgraded ;)

If Britannia is bettet for entertainment that would be my choice then! We are fairly easily pleased but I do like some decent evening entertainment.

Or you could settle on an inside but pay for the Retreat, that way you make the saving on the cabin and get decent loungers with waiter service [emoji3] I always got a bit confused by the Retreat because it looks partially covered, you must get sun though I guess. When we went it was 'around Britain' so it was empty.

I'm getting excited about your holiday lol - I have to wait until October for Britannia!

I can see your point, but we are going from Southampton and don't think we are that old, quite yet.

Cruising out of school holidays - agree ---------- oh to be there rather than paying what we pay now on a packed ship ! Would much prefer the quiet days with no worries re sunbeds and noise...

Re the scooters. We all get old one day ........... some one once told me to 'cherish the old as they may not always be with us' ...... I miss mine. Those in scooters are someone else's 'mine' and none of us knows what the future holds.

One of my favourite memories was a very elderly couple complete with zimmer frames returning from an excursion in Kotor. Have no idea how long this couple had been together. I got choked up thinking that they were at such a great age and still going out there and enjoying their holiday together.

Hi, just seen this. Sorry if a bit 'short' in the last post.

Are they arrogant or just elderly?

If they take advantage then I am with you ------ if they are elderly, then please understand them

https://www.dementiafriends.org.uk/