Wifi phone call

lumpyi

If I have the wifi package, set my phone to airplane mode (to disable cell use) and turn on wifi calling ( advanced calling settings) , will I be able to make calls to onboard passengers and call home too thru the ships wifi? I have a Samsung S6.

Thanks for reply . I've tried at home using my home wifi and I'm able to make calls which shouldn't be any different as using ship wifi, I hope. As long as connect to ship wifi (air plane mode disconnects wifi) and remember to turn ON airplane and turn OFF data roaming. Sounds like a plan to try when onboard.

Is your cellphone carrier a USA carrier. Just be careful. It depends on what number you are calling. I have ATT and you have to be connected to a domestic wifi network otherwise you will be charged. I do not know if the ship's wifi counts as domestic. If you call an international number you will be charged based on your plan.

I have a Magic Jack at home and I use their app. I used it on my last cruise and it worked great. I also used that app to text.:D

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/features/wifi-calling.html

If I have the wifi package, set my phone to airplane mode (to disable cell use) and turn on wifi calling ( advanced calling settings) , will I be able to make calls to onboard passengers and call home too thru the ships wifi? I have a Samsung S6.

Once you are on the ship and have access to the ship's wifi, all you have to do is make sure your phone is in airplane mode. Then you can use either Google Hangouts or FB Messenger to make a phone call to home. With FB Messenger the party you are calling needs to also have the FB Messenger app (but not Facebook) but that's not necessary for Google Hangouts.

If you want to reach someone on the ship, you don't need to call. Just send a message through either app. That person needs to have both apps on their phone.

My DH and I just spent 28 days on the ship and were able to easily make phone calls and send texts this way. It was sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will need an app to connect to someone at home since they won't be connected to the ship's wifi. People on the ship's wifi would be able to connect to each other direct without using any app since they're on the same wifi ?

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will need an app to connect to someone at home since they won't be connected to the ship's wifi. People on the ship's wifi would be able to connect to each other direct without using any app since they're on the same wifi ?

If the people at home have their own wifi, that's what they use if you call them on FB Messenger. If you use Google Hangouts, on your end you're using the ship's wifi to connect to their phone--no wifi involved. It really works and is very simple once you try it. Work out how to do it at your house and call a neighbor, for example. It's the exact same procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will do that. Although expensive, using the onboard wifi is practical for communication on board with multi party passengers as well for home contact, entertainment, business, etc. Considered a luxury because of the high price, but if price was lowered its a practical convenience that may one day be a common inclusion on cruises. Just need to live long enough for that day!

Thanks for reply . I've tried at home using my home wifi and I'm able to make calls which shouldn't be any different as using ship wifi, I hope. As long as connect to ship wifi (air plane mode disconnects wifi) and remember to turn ON airplane and turn OFF data roaming. Sounds like a plan to try when onboard.

That is correct. If your phone works on WiFi calling at home it will work on the ship. I have done it the last two cruises with the Unlimited WiFi package.

No, you won't need an app. Those who you are calling don't need to be on the same WiFi network or any WiFi network. When you are using WiFi calling you are tunneling over the internet to your cell carriers network.

We were on a Mediterranean cruise last summer and made WIFI calls the entire time. We also used WhatsApp to keep in touch. I had a Iphone6 at the time which allows for WIFI calling when I put the phone in Airplane Mode. It was excellent to be able to keep in touch because our travel agent called our son in NJ to tell him our hotel in Rome had been cancelled. Thankfully it all worked out for the best and without the WIFI calling we would have had a real hassle when we got to Rome.

Awesome responses, hopefully a guide for phone use on cruises without cellphone charges. An alternative for passengers to look at when choosing cruise lines with packaged internet choices like Celebrity. Maybe a start for cruise line to compete for passengers by providing internet provisions and lowering cost.

Would a cellphone carrier charge be made if the phone you're calling is in another country other than your home? Just inquisitive question, I don't intend to call international.

You will be charged at international calling rates same as you would be at home if you call a country not on your plan. Except I believe that if you are on T Mobile, T Mobile does not charge for international calls to many countries while on WiFi calling.

You will be charged at international calling rates same as you would be at home if you call a country not on your plan. Except I believe that if you are on T Mobile, T Mobile does not charge for international calls to many countries while on WiFi calling.

With T-mobile all wifi calling is free. You also have free international data and texting(on land). Also there are some countries from which you can use regular calling for free.

I have a Samsung phone S7 (not the exploding kind) and tablet (Galaxy Tab A). I downloaded a free app called hangouts and was able to make free wifi calls from both my tablet and phone. Turn off phone data if using your phone.

Not true. I called home (Pennsylvania) on sea days, and from St. Maartin, Antigua, Bermuda, on board ship using WIFI and Hangouts app. You are using VOI with the app. We have Verizon and had NO charges.

As long as your carrier supports wifi calling, it couldn't be any easier. Turn on airplane mode, Wifi on and use your phone like you're at home. No third party apps needed.

My bill says I used 63 minutes of wifi calling last month. Largely from calls made on the Reflection. $0.00 charge.

Not true. I called home (Pennsylvania) on sea days, and from St. Maartin, Antigua, Bermuda, on board ship using WIFI and Hangouts app. You are using VOI with the app. We have Verizon and had NO charges.

What is not true? You are misunderstanding what I said. It was not about calling home. The OP was wondering about international calls. When you are on WiFi Calling it is like you are at home, whatever is on your home plan will be the same. So there won't be charges for calling home. But there would be charges for calling for example, St. Maarten even if you are calling from St. Maarten on WiFi Calling. (unless you have that slick T Mobile plan)

As long as your carrier supports wifi calling, it couldn't be any easier. Turn on airplane mode, Wifi on and use your phone like you're at home. No third party apps needed.

My bill says I used 63 minutes of wifi calling last month. Largely from calls made on the Reflection. $0.00 charge.

Who is your cell phone carrier?

Who is your cell phone carrier?

The major US cell carriers AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon support WiFi Calling. Some of the lessor carriers do also. But all phones don't support it. Generally iPhone 6 and later including the iPhone SE can do WiFi Calling. Some earlier iPhones can do it on T Mobile. Some Android phones can do WiFi Calling. It depends on the version of Android the phone is running. If you have Android your cell carrier can tell you.

• 1 month later...

For UK vodafone wifi calling..

• If you make any calls to UK mobiles or landlines over Wi-Fi whilst roaming, your calls will be charged in accordance with your usual UK bundle and treated as if you’ve made the call from the UK. This means if you have uk minutes included when at home you can use these for free calling home from abroad :)