Let's talk EDGE - what are your first impressions?

russg140

I thought it was a beautiful ship ,BUT the rooms seem very white and sterile.I also think the Magic Carpet is a dumb idea.But hey who am I to judge.Lets just say I won,t be getting on it.What if it breaks??;p

The carpet doesn't carry pax when mobile

I will wait to see more about the public areas. I am also concerned about pool space and loungers based on the artists rendition but seeing it is just that there will likely be more space than it seems, I hope. The solarium also looks quite small but hoping the same applies, the drawings look smaller. I am worried that the suites only venues will take up a great deal of space and may affect the experience for the rest of us. Again, time will tell.

I am not sure about the Magic carpet, don't think I would like a verandah cabin that would have this go in front of it. A larger platform for tendering would be nice but the presence of tables and chairs seems like this may be awkward.

One of the first things that I thought of when seeing the infinite balcony is, will the air turn off as it does on the Anthem. I actually have never had an issue with the cabins being too small. I feel compared to other lines they are a good size, same with the bathrooms. We spend such little time there it's not an issue.

The prices are a bit too high for us right now so will likely wait until she has her first cruises in to see how things are. Lots of cruising options out there so won't worry if this ship isn't our cup of tea, it will appeal to many others.

That solves your suite but currently when one balcony is open it affects the whole section. I'm sure there's a solution as I'm sure most people will be having it open when they're in their room.

I don't believe any suites have the infinity balcony. That's based on a comment written by Celebrity on Facebook.

We were also told today by a large online cruise agency not to be named, but books ALOT of Celebrity that neither Concierge nor Aqua class will have the infinite balconies either. Seems very strange to me. I suspect this is their way of up-pricing standard veranda cabins by throwing that in as a design perk. 30% more space = 30% higher prices from what I have seen.

As to my overall impression - not all that impressed so far. The design seems too modern (read that as cold) to me, but everyone has different tastes. I think the Magic Carpet is ridiculous but when I see it in person perhaps I will change my mind. I am going to keep an open mind as computer renderings leave a lot to be desired and there is still so much unknown. But for now, I am frankly in no rush to book the ship. I am not one of those people who believe newer is always better (in fact, I prefer M to S class, but do love both). Have seen nothing so far that makes me want to pay 30% more for the same cruise I can get on one of the other beautiful Celebrity ships. If I could afford suites, I suspect the Retreat area would entice me. But since I can't.......just booked three cruises on other Celebrity ships for 2018:)

All concierge and aqua class have infinite balconies, according to Celebrity rep I spoke with yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

And on website if you go to book. With fluffy robes better shower (I think) canapés pillow menu...

That solves your suite but currently when one balcony is open it affects the whole section. I'm sure there's a solution as I'm sure most people will be having it open when they're in their room.

Considering that there were several mentions of the staterooms looking more like hotel rooms in both the reveal and in subsequent videos released by Celebrity, I would not be surprised to see individual A/C systems for each room, just as in many hotels. That would minimize or completely eliminate the problems currently experienced on existing ships. Individual A/C systems sized for small rooms are quite common and very reliable. I just installed a mini system for my 200 sq ft shed out back that I am converting into an office. Not expensive, either. Just $800.

We were also told today by a large online cruise agency not to be named, but books ALOT of Celebrity that neither Concierge nor Aqua class will have the infinite balconies either. Seems very strange to me. I suspect this is their way of up-pricing standard veranda cabins by throwing that in as a design perk. 30% more space = 30% higher prices from what I have seen.

As to my overall impression - not all that impressed so far. The design seems too modern (read that as cold) to me, but everyone has different tastes. I think the Magic Carpet is ridiculous but when I see it in person perhaps I will change my mind. I am going to keep an open mind as computer renderings leave a lot to be desired and there is still so much unknown. But for now, I am frankly in no rush to book the ship. I am not one of those people who believe newer is always better (in fact, I prefer M to S class, but do love both). Have seen nothing so far that makes me want to pay 30% more for the same cruise I can get on one of the other beautiful Celebrity ships. If I could afford suites, I suspect the Retreat area would entice me. But since I can't.......just booked three cruises on other Celebrity ships for 2018:)

This is simply wrong. Per Celebrity, one the booking agent and the second a real time chat person who had been specially trained to answer Edge questions, Concierge and Aqua cabins will have the infinity balcony. Suites do not, and there are only a few veranda cabins that do not.

While I think it looks good, my real concern is the number of loungers and absence of shade at the main pool.

The ship is similar in size to the S Class. Now think of the S Class pool area where most of one side is taken up by costly private cabanas. The other side has almost no shade, as its only covered by a narrow jogging track.

In addition, on S class, there are hundreds of loungers on the upper deck surrounding the pool area. On this ship, it looks like the port side will not have loungers on the upper deck/jogging track.

So the math is simple...less space for loungers on both the pool deck and the deck above the pool.

That's going to be a huge problem on warm sea days!

Furthermore, the limited shade areas is a huge problem :eek:

Hi, Concerige Class Cabins do have the Infinite balconies....Not sure who the TA is that told you otherwise, but I had originally

booked another category and changed to one with the new balcony.........it is a CC class and I was told by 2 different

reps at Celebrity that it does have the "infinite veranda".

I'm overall impressed. I really like the idea of the Magic Carpet (not crazy about the name), although the track better not be orange when she finally sets sail. Even just for a platform for tendering, that seems like a huge step forward. And the new tenders seem really cool.

My favorite thing is the Rooftop Garden. It takes the Lawn Club idea, but makes it a little more useful. The Central Park/Boardwalk is one of my favorite parts of the Oasis-class, and this looks like a more refined version of it.

The Retreat doesn't really bother me. It's basically just an expanded version of Michael's, and since all of the lines seem to be shifting towards it (and heck, Cunard's been doing it all along), it pretty much had to happen. Since this is the first time that it's been a purpose-built space and not cordoning off something that use to be communal, I think it's actually an improvement.

Assuming the prices don't go insane, we're planning on booking an April '19 EC when we're aboard Solstice this summer.

I suspect that my husband and I are also exactly the demographic they're aiming the E-class at, so if that's true, they hit the bullseye.

I think the ship looks cool. It will be something new and fresh. Looking forward to the reveal of the rest of the ship. One thing that makes me wonder is this magic carpet. It reminds me, slightly, of RCIs rising tide bar. I know during high seas and high winds they don't operate it and that bar is inside the ship. Wonder how this space will do being on the outside of the ship. Could be stuck on one level for sometime depending on conditions.

Either way, it will be fun to explore and experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

New ships are always exciting.

I am looking forward to the Edge various dining venues and what the Sunset bar area will look like on this ship.

Will it have a new improved Martini bar ? I still liked the original Century martini bar as best in class even better than M or Solstice ships.

Our first Celebrity cruise was on the Century and it will always hold a special memory for us. We loved the martini bar on the Century but quickly discovered there were other Celebrity ships with so many wonderful alcoves, hammocks, martini bars, and enticing venues that we had to try them all. Since we are both inpatient, it will be difficult to wait until 12/18 to travel on this new ship, but we are especially excited about the thought of doing an inaugural sailing on The Edge. It looks innovative and we can't wait to see all it has to offer.

Overall I think Edge looks great so far. But I'm not sure about those infinite verandas. It feels more like a bigger room with a giant window you can open or close, rather than an balcony. The walls go right up to the edge of the ship and it just looks a touch claustrophobic when compared to a traditional balcony.

I love Celebrity's S class ship designs and am looking forward to a new ship.

I too was curious about the magic carpet. I'll have to reserve judgement until I see it, or until reports come in on cruise critic from people who have seen it :)

I'm really looking forward to the technology and mobile-controlled features via the Celebrity App. I'd love to hear more about this from others who are in the know.

Will our stateroom doors unlock for us if we are in proxity with our cell phone - like keyless entry???

I’m extremely surprised that no one seems to see the new balconies like I see them: what I see is a significantly larger ocean view room, that is indeed closer to the see since you can open the window… :halo:

Overall I think Edge looks great so far. But I'm not sure about those infinite verandas. It feels more like a bigger room with a giant window you can open or close, rather than an balcony. The walls go right up to the edge of the ship and it just looks a touch claustrophobic when compared to a traditional balcony.

My thoughts exactly. Though I did think they'd be good in a cold environment or in bad weather etc So great for cruises in Antarctica or maybe even Alaska. Not very enjoyable in the Caribbean though.

I think it looks gimmicky - gaudy - and appears to be "trying too hard" -- I have not seen anything that makes me want to run and book on this new ship. I'm very happy with my Celebrity suite on the Reflection. I prefer "elegance" as opposed to "hip" which is the feeling I get from this new design.