under-age platinum benefits denied

msk1

I don't think many of you realize how "connected" kids are nowadays. Many kids age 8 - 17 would burn through an Elites internet alottment in a day or two, never mind a whole cruise.

So yeah it seems kind of unfair ... however, rules are the rules. I do agree with the idea of complaining about it both here, on social media and directly to Princess though. It's the only way to possibly see future changes.

In all honesty I doubt this will be an issue a few years from now. It's obvious that cruiselines are excruciatingly slowly but surely moving to free unlimited or minimal charge unlimited internet.

Aside from the fact that clients demand it and will pick one line over another based on internet access, having free internet is free advertising. Instagram and Facebook pictures uploaded is free advertising for a cruiseline, advertising that is even more valuable as its friends advertising to friends.

Free or next to free internet on cruise ships is already here on some lines and will soon enough be on the rest.

Surely you will have enough minutes to share. If not, you must have some port stops and you can usually find free WiFi on shore. If you don't know where to find it in port ask the crew.

It's probably wise that those under 18 aren't allowed those internet benefits since internet minutes are so overpriced. When I was a teenager, we went on the Caribbean Princess in a suite and I took full advantage of the unlimited free internet. While that full suite perk has sadly gone by the wayside, I racked up a nearly $2k bill between using my laptop and the internet cafe. I could only imagine how pissed a parent would be to see their ten year old downloaded some new game from iTunes that took an hour.

In all honesty I doubt this will be an issue a few years from now. It's obvious that cruiselines are excruciatingly slowly but surely moving to free unlimited or minimal charge unlimited internet.

Not always minimal. Royal Caribbean as a corporation has told stock analysts that their recently increased profits derive in great part from income from beverage packages and Internet packages.

Celebrity, owned by Royal Caribbean's parent corporation recently eliminated all Internet packages that were numbers of minutes and now offers only unlimited packages which has an on board cost of $264/person for a one-week cruise, not what I would call a minimal charge. (There are discounts for paying pre-cruise and at certain loyal club levels.)

Not always minimal. Royal Caribbean as a corporation has told stock analysts that their recently increased profits derive in great part from income from beverage packages and Internet packages.

Celebrity, owned by Royal Caribbean's parent corporation recently eliminated all Internet packages that were numbers of minutes and now offers only unlimited packages which has an on board cost of $264/person for a one-week cruise, not what I would call a minimal charge. (There are discounts for paying pre-cruise and at certain loyal club levels.)

Oh I don't doubt that they are currently making money hands over fist off ridiculously priced internet packages. The industry is competitive however ... all it takes is one line to offer free access or lower priced all inclusive internet and the race to the bottom will be on -- I actually believe this is already in the process of happening.

Millenials have demanded it.

Oh I don't doubt that they are currently making money hands over fist off ridiculously priced internet packages. The industry is competitive however ... all it takes is one line to offer free access or lower priced all inclusive internet and the race to the bottom will be on -- I actually believe this is already in the process of happening.

Millenials have demanded it.

Millennials may have demanded it but maybe not all of them have fully grasped the concept that nothing is truly free.

If cruise lines include lower priced all inclusive internet they'll just add the cost into the cruise fare so that every passenger pays extra...even those who won't fully use it.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Millennials may have demanded it but maybe not all of them have fully grasped the concept that nothing is truly free.

If cruise lines include lower priced all inclusive internet they'll just add the cost into the cruise fare so that every passenger pays extra...even those who won't fully use it.

That isn't nessecarily true (although it could certainly happen). It depends how cut rate/competitive other players get with their internet pricing.

One thing is for sure, as cruiselines compete for the younger market, you will continue to see internet prices on ships drop. Whether the money comes out of profit/from cutbacks in other areas/higher overall cruise fares etc ... it WILL happen. It's already happening.

There are cruise lines that offer free internet. These are generally premium, and do not compete with princess.

With regards to this entire thread -- this is an ongoing theme on cruise critic...

"I read the rules. Do they apply to me?"

I know youngsters are very smart, particularly in terms of technology.

But, if a four year old child is given, say 100 minutes, of internet time this will require them to understand that they need to log off at the end of each session to stop their minutes running down.

However, if this child is smart enough to do that, then they are also probably smart enough to know how to enable a pay as you go when the free credit runs out, but probably without the ability to fully appreciate the cost aspects.

So, what happens if, unbeknown to the parents / grandparents, this four year old child runs up a $2000 internet bill?

My guessing that all of a sudden the same folks who argue that the child should be given some free internet time, will be very quick to argue that they should not be liable for any bill for subsequent use on the basis that Princess should not have allowed a four year old child to run up the bill.

I know youngsters are very smart, particularly in terms of technology.

But, if a four year old child is given, say 100 minutes, of internet time this will require them to understand that they need to log off at the end of each session to stop their minutes running down.

However, if this child is smart enough to do that, then they are also probably smart enough to know how to enable a pay as you go when the free credit runs out, but probably without the ability to fully appreciate the cost aspects.

So, what happens if, unbeknown to the parents / grandparents, this four year old child runs up a $2000 internet bill?

My guessing that all of a sudden the same folks who argue that the child should be given some free internet time, will be very quick to argue that they should not be liable for any bill for subsequent use on the basis that Princess should not have allowed a four year old child to run up the bill.

This reminds me up a thread many years back when some young child used his card to buy all his new found friends all sorts of sodas etc. on the ship because he thought they were "free". I think the restriction is a good idea.

IMO........

Will not be reconsidered.

Its 18 years or older, that's it.

If they did........

They would "owe" us many perks including thousands of minutes for our son's who were Platinum/Elite long before they turned 18.

Yup, my kids were Elite before they turned 18. We did it the hard way - by days sailed. Our cruises were always 10 days or longer.

My grandkids are on their way. My 10 YO DGS is at 37 days and cruise number 6. I too wish they would get the benefits. Not so much for the internet although as time has changed those are more important then when my were kids but for the 10% off in the stores and tenders. At 16 they certainly can get on and off by themselves. It just ain't gonna happen.

This goes along with the argument - I paid for their cruise why don't I get the credit. Man, oh man. I would be Super Elite and then some.

Way back in the 1990's when we queried "why the restriction for under 18" we were told there was some sort of legal issue dealing with a minor that restricted Princess from granting benefits and Captain's Circle status to minors. I think it had something to do with needing a parent/guardian to administer the benefit, adding needless complication. (I could be remembering incorrectly).

I remember the same thing.

The whole point of the cruise is to show the child the world and to meet/interact with new people. A 4 year old doesn't need to be on the computer daily.

If they absolutely need to talk to Mom/Dad at home, since the Grandparents are Elite they can use 5 minutes of their time to also say hello to those at home at the same time. Or have the parents provide some $$ to purchase him an internet plan.

Nothing is being denied him, he hasn't earned the perk yet.