I hope Carnival Corp doesn't try this on HAL

TAD2005

"Sanitize" is a meaningless word in this setting.. Against what micro-organisms, what duration of contact of what specific "sanitizing" agents. Do people mistakenly assume "sterilization" when they hear the word "sanitization".

Basically, anything that wipes down a surface from tables to hands, is merely physically removing some of the contaminants. Wiping down these dining tables at best takes off only the ketchup blobs.

Visit the CDC and NIH for more specifics about surface decontamination.

Thanks. I don't have to visit the CDC to learn more about surface contamination.

Here's a request: Prove that a table cloth is clean.

You don't know it's provenance. You're not sure that it's not been touched by the people who wiped down the Lido tables with sanitizer before they set your MDR table. You literally know zip about the table cloth.

Just admit it. You prefer tablecloths. (I do and I have.) If you are really concerned about sanitation, you'd be begging for antibacterial plastic or vinyl tablecloths.

So, once you pick up the napkin to put it on your lap, where do you put the silverware? Then when they deliver a spoon and fork for desert in advance of the plate and cup, placed on the table. At least a paper placemat like at McDonalds would help.

I do not put a table cloth down every nightbut do use placemetss even at my kitchen table . I do not like plates put on a naked table and would not be happy if HAL put plates on an undressed table. If I eat in Lido for lunch etc, I can place a cloth napkin n ont he table and use it like a place mat. mat

Thanks. I don't have to visit the CDC to learn more about surface contamination.

Here's a request: Prove that a table cloth is clean.

You don't know it's provenance. You're not sure that it's not been touched by the people who wiped down the Lido tables with sanitizer before they set your MDR table. You literally know zip about the table cloth.

Just admit it. You prefer tablecloths. (I do and I have.) If you are really concerned about sanitation, you'd be begging for antibacterial plastic or vinyl tablecloths.

Actually what I don't like is all this ongoing confusion about "sanitizing" anything, when in fact it is a meaningless gesture unless one directly decontaminates the vector contact points. Which in this case would be noro-bugs on the table somehow transferring to the tips of the utensils that are actually contacting food that later enters the mouth.

Sorry, I know I am being overly nerdy here. Be well and thrive - our bodies are designed to have reasonable defenses in most settings. Even ships red-coded for noro only have a small percentage of affected passengers. So most basic cleanliness guidelines for ship board life do work.

Personally I would rather not see the ketchup globs on the table, than pretend I was being protected from noro virus because of a one pass wipe down with some unknown solution.

Carnival is more of a budget cruise line with a younger clientele than HAL. The carnival "demographic" has different expectations than the experienced HAL cruiser. The CCL demographic wants to be totally casual and not be bothered by stewards in the cabin more than once a day, formal dinners, or anything else that might restrict their "freedom"

See my comments above in red.

In my estimation CCL delivers what their demographic seem to want, If that's not the degree of informality you want then don't book Carnival. IMHO:D

Summersigh, My OP was not aimed at Carnival Cruises and the people who enjoy their brand of service. As you said, Carnival is ultra-casual, and aimed at the younger age groups who enjoy casual dining, casual dress for dinner, belly flop contests, hairiest chest contests, and spring breakers barfing over the railings. My OP was addressed to the folks at HAL who set policies and the hope that they read these boards once in a while and realize what may be enjoyed on CCL would never fly on HAL. We can only hope !!

Summersigh, My OP was not aimed at Carnival Cruises and the people who enjoy their brand of service. As you said, Carnival is ultra-casual, and aimed at the younger age groups who enjoy casual dining, casual dress for dinner, belly flop contests, hairiest chest contests, and spring breakers barfing over the railings. My OP was addressed to the folks at HAL who set policies and the hope that they read these boards once in a while and realize what may be enjoyed on CCL would never fly on HAL. We can only hope !!

A tad judgmental, aren't we? I doubt everyone who cruises on something than the 3-7 day E/W Caribbean is into barfing spring breakers and hairy chests... I had some people here on CC to expect drunk spring breakers on my April Eurodam Coastal...

A tablecloth does not guarantee cleanliness. It does imply the fantasy of "dress up" that one poster said she wants on a HAL cruise.

Summersigh, My OP was not aimed at Carnival Cruises and the people who enjoy their brand of service. As you said, Carnival is ultra-casual, and aimed at the younger age groups who enjoy casual dining, casual dress for dinner, belly flop contests, hairiest chest contests, and spring breakers barfing over the railings.

That puts this whole mess into context. The last part is really condescending. Carnival caters to a younger crowd and a lot of families. They are definitely more casual.

Here's their age policy:

Guests are required to be*21 years old*(on embarkation day) to travel. Guests under the age of*21*must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a parent or guardian*25*or older. The exceptions Carnival will make to this policy are: Married minor couple - The booking must be documented that the couple is married. There is also an exception for active military.

We've never gone on a Carnival cruise, but to put down an entire group of people people like you did is uncalled for.

Carnival is more of a budget cruise line with a younger clientele than HAL. The carnival "demographic" has different expectations than the experienced HAL cruiser. The CCL demographic wants to be totally casual and not be bothered by stewards in the cabin more than once a day, formal dinners, or anything else that might restrict their "freedom"

In my estimation CCL delivers what their demographic seem to want, If that's not the degree of informality you want then don't book Carnival. IMHO:D

To be very clear ... and that's why I reran my quote here ... My comments were aimed solely on the casual nature of the CCL demographic. I made no comments about "belly flop contests, hairiest chest contests, and spring breakers barfing over the railings.":D:D

IMO as experienced on all the lines, it's like the old story of cooking a frog in a pot of water. They will keep trimming and cutting a bit at a time.

Do you think someone brainstorming in a Carnival conference room said "Hey, those people on our ships are lower class and not used to tablecloths so let's get rid of them. They won't even notice."

Sent from my B3-A30 using Forums mobile app

IMO as experienced on all the lines, it's like the old story of cooking a frog in a pot of water. They will keep trimming and cutting a bit at a time.

Do you think someone brainstorming in a Carnival conference room said "Hey, those people on our ships are lower class and not used to tablecloths so let's get rid of them. They won't even notice."

Sent from my B3-A30 using Forums mobile app

Given my experience with marketing people ... that doesn't sound that outlandish. :)

To be very clear ... and that's why I reran my quote here ... My comments were aimed solely on the casual nature of the CCL demographic. I made no comments about "belly flop contests, hairiest chest contests, and spring breakers barfing over the railings.":D:D

We realize that. You only mentioned that Carnival guests may like the more casual atmosphere. It was another poster who wrote the comments that made all Carnival guests out to be low-brow and uncouth:

"Originally posted by TAD2005

Summersigh, My OP was not aimed at Carnival Cruises and the people who enjoy their brand of service. As you said, Carnival is ultra-casual, and aimed at the younger age groups who enjoy casual dining, casual dress for dinner, belly flop contests, hairiest chest contests, and spring breakers barfing over the railings."

My previous comment "barfing over the railings" may be offensive to some, and certainly not aimed at all CCL passengers. But we made the poor choice of booking a CCL cruise in summer, 2016, just for a week getaway. The ship was there, we were there, and we had a week to kill, so why not. It was not even springtime. On the open decks we saw young teens, drinking beer and liquor. Older, young adults were purchasing it for the younger teens. And many drank to excess, there was no supervision, and the natural result was the disgusting scenes we experienced many times. I don't know where their parents were, but they were definitely consuming alcohol (and smoking what they purchased in Nassau, and it wasn't Marlboro).

Edited by TAD2005

Carnival Cruise Lines gets a very bad rap from my experience.

My very first Carnival Cruise was on Carnival Freedom and it was during Spring Break. Many young people were aboard. Many families were aboard. We solos were undoubtedly in the small minority. I SAW NOTHING DURING THAT CRUISE FROM ANY OF THE SPRING BREAKERS THAT WAS OFFENSIVE!

My MDR table was next to a table with 4 young women from Ball State University who would be graduating in June. Several nights, my table companions did not appear. Those your women engaged this Senior Citizen in conversations during dinner as a result. One evening, when one of their party did not come to dinner, they even invited me to join them at their table, which I did.

Have I seen offensive to me behavior by guests during a cruise? Yes. But, I have seen it on HAL as well as other cruise lines.