Cruise ends in Los Angeles is LAX the closest airport?

Details

How long will it take a taxi to get from cruiseport in Los Angeles to LAX. I'm trying to make "air" reservations and wish to know how long I should plan for. Would a 1pm departure be "too soon". Thanks in advance.

LAX is about 20 miles away, but in LA traffic an extremely good day or time would mean 30 minutes, but could often take an hour or more. Long Beach airport is a little closer, probably less traffic, but does have less flight options, depending on where you are going. What day of the week will you be traveling on?

How long will it take a taxi to get from cruiseport in Los Angeles to LAX. I'm trying to make "air" reservations and wish to know how long I should plan for. Would a 1pm departure be "too soon". Thanks in advance.

Long Beach is the nearest.

I've not sailed out of LA, but I assume the pier is near Queen Mary. If so and if you have to fly United, LAX will be closest to San Pedro. Traffic, even around noon, won't be that bad on a Sunday. The service will either take the 110 or 710 freeways to the 405 (freeway) and that's a straight shot until, and if, they make a short connection on the 105 into LAX, via the Imperial Highway or West Century Blvd. In my experience, the only place you could potentially run into traffic is the 405. It's one of the busiest freeways in the world, and I believe the busiest in the USA. You may have heard the name San Diego Freeway; that's it. If you do hit traffic on the 405, it will be in pockets and most likely only near construction and at major interchanges. But don't quote me on any of that. Traffic and the weather sometimes like to defy predictions. :D

Edited by scamper
additional information

Sunday morning,

We arrived at the cruise port on a Sunday morning in October and easily caught an 11:45 am flight out of LAX. We could have caught the 10:45 flight. Traffic was light.

The only caveat is that I regularly drive on the 401 throughToronto which is the busiest highway in North America, so my definition of light traffic and yours might be a bit different.

Edited by DirtyDawg

Traffic won't be bad on Sunday morning. As other have said a 1pm flight will not be a problem. Even noon wouldn't stress me out and I like to get to the airport regularly. 45 min tops on Sunday to LAX. Security will likely take longer unless you have pre-check.

Noon on United should be no problem. Sunday traffic is almost always light. Being Los Angeles, as others have said, it can take longer than usual. But United's security lines at LAX are pretty efficient. If you were flying Southwest or any other airline that may be departing from terminal 1, I would say take a later flight.

You can arrange for Uber or a shuttle van service from the port in San Pedro to LAX.

I have used PrimeTime Shuttle in the past: http://www.primetimeshuttle.com/locations/airportshuttle_Los_Angeles_Harbor.html

I have also used SuperShuttle. Put in Los Angeles as the airport and "World Cruise Center, Los Angeles, CA, United States" as the pickup location. https://booking.supershuttle.com/

I have used these shuttle services in the past, but not for that specific route. The problem with the shuttles is they often make multiple stops to pick up others heading to LAX.

This link is fairly recent and has a lot of info about transportation options from LAX to the port (the reverse trip that you are taking is going to be about the same rate). http://www.cruzely.com/how-to-get-to-the-los-angeles-long-beach-cruise-port-without-a-car/

Celebrity uses the World Cruise Center in Los Angeles Harbor, located in the city of San Pedro. The Queen Mary is located quite a distance away, and as far as I know, only Princess uses that port. When making arrangements make sure they are quoting and booking the World Cruise Center in Los Angeles Harbor in San Pedro.

Edited by fshagan
Added link

Celebrity uses the World Cruise Center in Los Angeles Harbor, located in the city of San Pedro. The Queen Mary is located quite a distance away, and as far as I know, only Princess uses that port..

Princess sails out of World cruise center in San Pedro, Carnival uses Long Beach.:)

I don't know what prompted me to think of the Carnival pier as San Pedro. That was just dumb. Anyway, as I mentioned, I have never sailed from LA, although I have been to Queen Mary a few times. The Queen has a really good Sunday brunch, by the way. Anyway, good to know all the Carnival-owned, as well as a few other lines use Long Beach and others use San Pedro. I may need that for future reference.

Well that bubble quicky burst

No flights from Islip on the day we need and for the return it'd have 4 stops over 14 hrs..Also no non stops from JFK so we' ll likely do JFk to Long Beach or LAX if we have to... .our luggage would be on same plane all the way.!

Not LAX and Not LGB, but we flew out from Santa Ana (Orange County Airport) SNA when we returned from our last Princess cruise. It was absolutely fantastic. The airport is small, modern, and it's served by all major airlines including United, Delta, American and Southwest. We were sitting at our gate with 3 hours to kill by 9:30am. Best of all, they offer nonstop fights home to Atlanta (thank you Delta!)

We got off the ship and made arrangements on the spot to take a Super Shuttle to SNA. Within ten minutes, we were on our way. The drive was a bit longer (40 minutes maybe) but in zero traffic. We arrived at the airport and proceeded straight to the security checkpoint. We were literally the ONLY people in line. Compare that to the horrendous and chaotic scene at LAX with thousands and thousands of passengers pouring into the airport at all hours of the day. The traffic can be so insane that just looping around the airport to be dropped of at your terminal can add 20-30 minutes to your drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums