Elegant nights on NCL?

linga

It's been a while since we've cruised on NCL. We're on a 13 day transatlantic and wondered if there are there any elegant/formal nights, or is it just all casual now?

I do see that there is a party where folks dress in all white.

If we dressed up would we be out of place?

Thanks!

Norwegian's Night Out there are some people who wear more "cocktail attire". Suits for the gents and fancier cocktail dresses for the ladies. Many use this opportunity to take family and couple photos. You will not feel out of place. We have not dressed up in years but we did see on several NCL ships cruisers dressed up.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 16.0px Arial; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000}span.s1 {font-kerning: none}

There are no formal nights and everything is smart/casual. A few do dress up in long dresses and penquin suits but in my opinion, they look out of place. However, if you wish to look ultra elegant, then go for it

Thanks for the info! I think we'll skip any formal attire on this one.

We cruise other lines that still have "dress-up" nights, so I'll save it for those cruises. ;)

Norwegian's Night Out there are some people who wear more "cocktail attire". Suits for the gents and fancier cocktail dresses for the ladies. Many use this opportunity to take family and couple photos. You will not feel out of place. We have not dressed up in years but we did see on several NCL ships cruisers dressed up.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 16.0px Arial; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000}span.s1 {font-kerning: none}

Thanks for responding! I'm thinking I'll bring a couple of dressy dresses, not too formal, based on the responses.

Transatlantics attract an older demographic and you will find plenty people dressing up for "Dress up or not nights". We leave our formals at home now. In fact, even on the Celebrity cruises we go on, Black Tie (which for us is full Highland regalia) is a thing of the past. But lots of cocktail dresses/lounge suits/smart shirts etc - Elegant I guess - but not OTT ie - very few tuxes or gowns.

There is no more "Official" Dress Up or Not nights. There is Norwegian Nights Out, a suggested dressy night, but Strictly for Photo Opportunities. Many friends now, get all gussied up and take their "formal" family pics in the private photo studio lounge by appointment, much better idea.

On The Norwegian EPIC/Escape:

There are Dress Up Restaurants which are Bayamo and Le Bistro. Jackets are requested in Le Bistro and NO Shorts/Tee shirts are permitted in Bayamo or Le Bistro. I did see folks who were wearing shorts sitting outside on The Waterfront seating area at Bayamo as well as "Al Fresco" dining at Le Bistro outside in the Atrium, so I think it is restricted to "Inside" seating only.

Dress Shorts with collared shirts are acceptable in any other restaurant on any night, including Cagney's.

Sadly, there is No longer the famous White Hot Party night. The Kevin Sheehan "Wings" have been replaced by a South Beach Style GLOW Party. Everyone is still encouraged to wear white but it is a glow stick thump thump thump energetic "beat only" type party, and when they do play an older "Disco" recognized song, it is only on for about 20 seconds, then the music (if I want to call it that) reverts back to the thump thump thump over synthesized beat.

Edited by cruiseguys2009

Photographers are out most nights with backdrops to take photos. Some people dress up (a little) every night. Some stay in shorts and t-shirts. On transatlantics, there more people dressed up at night than not. The ballgowns and tuxes can stay at home, but evening dresses and suits/sports coats are more common.

Just returned from the Getaway, our first NCL cruise, and after reading these boards was very surprised to see how beautifully everyone dressed. The majority wore dressy pants, blouses, summery or cocktail dresses and even simple, elegant long gowns. Few suits for men but most wore long pants, some shirts with ties, with the majority in docker type pants with solid or print button down shirts.

I was most surprised the last nite when I expected casual dress for ease of packing and instead saw many lovely cocktail dresses.

This was a college spring break cruise with many of the students showing us older folks up. My own daughters enjoyed getting dolled up more than I thought they would. If anything, I felt slightly under dressed given how elegant most everyone looked.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess we'll just have to be out of place on the BA next week because we are dressing up for one night.

The beauty of NCL is that you won't be out of place no matter what you wear. I enjoy seeing the handful of folks who dress fancy. I don't enjoy when they frown on the rest of us who don't, so don't be that person. :p No reason you should feel out of place at all. To be honest, I think few pay a bit of attention to what anyone else is wearing.

Sadly, there is No longer the famous White Hot Party night. The Kevin Sheehan "Wings" have been replaced by a South Beach Style GLOW Party. Everyone is still encouraged to wear white but it is a glow stick thump thump thump energetic "beat only" type party, and when they do play an older "Disco" recognized song, it is only on for about 20 seconds, then the music (if I want to call it that) reverts back to the thump thump thump over synthesized beat.

The Glow Party is on the newer classes of ships (Epic, Aways, Escape, Bliss). White Hot Party is still going strong on others.

The beauty of NCL is that you won't be out of place no matter what you wear. I enjoy seeing the handful of folks who dress fancy. I don't enjoy when they frown on the rest of us who don't, so don't be that person.[emoji14] No reason you should feel out of place at all. To be honest, I think few pay a bit of attention to what anyone else is wearing.

We wouldn't frown upon anyone's clothing choices 😊. This is our first family cruise and everyone is looking forward to dressing up for a night. Nothing outrageous - cocktail dresses for the girls, shirts and ties for the guys.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

Does anyone know if you need a jacket for the men in Bistro? On the Pearl, do they enforce it my husband doesn't have a jacket

No jackets are required anywhere on NCL ships.

You can even wear nice jeans to Le Bistro. Most men will probably just have on polos and khakis.