TV Show "Travel Guides" on a cruise

Madwoofter were all the rooms decorated as nicely as the one we saw?

It's been 7 years since I have been on P&O and the room I remember was very basic.

Yes they were sewgood. I had an OV on one of the lower decks and the room was quite spacious. The bathrooms were a bit outdated, having a small bath with a shower over the top. I have a dodgy knee and struggled a little bit, so getting in & out just to shower if you had some mobility issues would be a bit of a nightmare!

The rumours about plumbing are definitely true. Toilets in the public areas were often out of order, and I had plumbing crews enter my room late at night to fix problems (not just mine, they were doing the whole floor)

Thanks for your comments, good to hear from someone that was actually there.

I would have been really annoyed had a film crew been onboard, it's bad enough with video cameras, phones and selfie sticks filming everyone these days!!

I watch the show for the locations, they have done backpacker, camping, campervan, stayed in 5 Star and some interesting locations over the last 5 weeks.

Lets face it, they were all hand picked to bring the best and worst of travellers. I remember when they were advertising on TV for people to apply. I am sure there is a bit of acting up in there and a lot of editing;p

Just have to look at similar reality type shows, the facial expressions and dialect isnt always the way it happened.

Edited by cheznandy

Thanks for the reply Madwoofter.

Sounds good about the rooms though not good about the plumbing.

I see by your tag that the cruise was about 11 months ago. It sure takes a lot of time to get these things edited and ready for viewing.

Cheznandy I too enjoyed the show for the shots of the places they travel to. Some I have already been to and and some I have decided I wouldn't want to go to.

Cheznandy I too enjoyed the show for the shots of the places they travel to. Some I have already been to and and some I have decided I wouldn't want to go to.

I know, I loved the episode on Oman, just beautiful and somewhere we had'nt thought of visiting.

Last weeks episode on NT bought back our 2 year trip in our caravan, we were saying "we camped there", "we swam in those springs" the sail through the Katherine gorge is so much better in real life, we did a sunrise cruise.

And even though I have lived in NZ and cruised there, I haven not been to Queenstown, so I really enjoyed that one too!!

I don't usually watch Gogglebox, but I did see an episode where they were commenting on Travel guides......I had to laugh, a couple of Asian girls were commenting on the two girls from the outback, their comment was " OMG, do these sorts of people still exist" :'):') Think those two need to be on Travel guides and experience the country they live in!! Hey, come take a walk down our main street, we all wear Akubras here:D

I absolutely despise the show. It was an absolute disgrace seeing Australians embarrass us on the world stage with their disgusting and racist antics towards the Japanese. The show was cringeworthy and you could clearly see the visibly uncomfortable locals in Japan that suffered from their childish behaviour. Examples include that dumb woman shaking hands with a hotel receptionist and then commenting on the size of her small hands. Who the hell does that!!!! The woman who did that would have to have serious mental health problems to be behaving like that in public without any regard as to how the person is feeling that she was patronising. Even more bizarre is who on earth shakes hands with a hotel receptionist. It is not formal and is totally disrespectful in Japan. Their culture does not shake hands, they bow.

In my opinion the show was nothing more than a disgusting display of bogans and common trash damaging our international reputation by continued racist and childish behaviour all for cheap slapstick television. I was absolutely disgusted with the show and totally ashamed to be Australian watching how these pieces of trash behaved. It was cringeworthy and screwed up beyond any possible chance of repair. The first episode was enough for me to deem this trash television fit for being flushed completely down the toilet.

Rant over. Disgusting show.

I agree Brisbane41. I suspect that the producers have picked totally, my first choice of word to describe them would not acceptable on here, so idiots will have to do, to get the most ratings and comments from the show. To think that the views that some people overseas will have of Australians would be based on this show doesn't bear thinking about.

It seems from what I saw last night, the show is a cross of Gogglebox and Getaway, The bogans from Gogglebox touring as reporters on Getaway!

Haha yes, that is exactly my thought!! put some crazy travellers on to give the Goggleboxers something to complain about!!

I have seen all those types of Travel Guide groups on my cruises.

I absolutely despise the show. It was an absolute disgrace seeing Australians embarrass us on the world stage with their disgusting and racist antics towards the Japanese. The show was cringeworthy and you could clearly see the visibly uncomfortable locals in Japan that suffered from their childish behaviour. Examples include that dumb woman shaking hands with a hotel receptionist and then commenting on the size of her small hands. Who the hell does that!!!! The woman who did that would have to have serious mental health problems to be behaving like that in public without any regard as to how the person is feeling that she was patronising. Even more bizarre is who on earth shakes hands with a hotel receptionist. It is not formal and is totally disrespectful in Japan. Their culture does not shake hands, they bow.

In my opinion the show was nothing more than a disgusting display of bogans and common trash damaging our international reputation by continued racist and childish behaviour all for cheap slapstick television. I was absolutely disgusted with the show and totally ashamed to be Australian watching how these pieces of trash behaved. It was cringeworthy and screwed up beyond any possible chance of repair. The first episode was enough for me to deem this trash television fit for being flushed completely down the toilet.

Rant over. Disgusting show.

Totally agree.

I think we could be new B.F.F,s

Someone just told me it is the same people (groups) on every show going on different holidays and having differing places and experiences. IMO, that makes the show even worse, must be a put up job catering for the lowest category of viewer. Certainly not my idea of entertainment.

Welcome to reality TV which for some unknown reason many people are drawn to. Assemble a bunch of wannabe personalities with as many contrasting backgrounds as possible for a free holiday and hope they all make fools of themselves which they invariably will. Cringeworthy and embarrassing at best. The last show anyone with an interest in cruising would want to watch.

I like the show - but purely as entertainment - I think they've come up with some entertaining "Guides" - and of course it's scripted or directed to entertain and get attention (seems they've got it right given everyone here watched and has a view (they might not like it but they watched some or all of it)

I wouldn't make my holiday plans or choice of destinations based on it

I like the show - but purely as entertainment - I think they've come up with some entertaining "Guides" - and of course it's scripted or directed to entertain and get attention (seems they've got it right given everyone here watched and has a view (they might not like it but they watched some or all of it)

I wouldn't make my holiday plans or choice of destinations based on it

The annoying thing about shows like that is that they can actually turn people off destinations. A friend on another forum who has just started cruising has just said that if that was what the South Pacific islands were like she wouldn't bother going there. We've been there a few times and loved the islands - they certainly weren't shown in the best light on that show.

I didn't watch it.

Are the guides separate from the travellers? Or are they calling first time travellers guides, for the viewers?

I didn't watch it.

Are the guides separate from the travellers? Or are they calling first time travellers guides, for the viewers?

The latter the travellers are the "guides"/ reviewers - although while it may be their first time in some of the places for some of them I don't think too many of them are first time travellers

Welcome to reality TV which for some unknown reason many people are drawn to. Assemble a bunch of wannabe personalities with as many contrasting backgrounds as possible for a free holiday and hope they all make fools of themselves which they invariably will. Cringeworthy and embarrassing at best. The last show anyone with an interest in cruising would want to watch.

Well at least it wasn't an Info-mercial. Another reason to avoid the commercial network programs.

I agree Brisbane41. I suspect that the producers have picked totally, my first choice of word to describe them would not acceptable on here, so idiots will have to do, to get the most ratings and comments from the show.

A commercial network determining content to increase ratings - who would have thought!

Who also would have thought that a light entertainment TV show would be as divisive on cruise critic as, say... tipping!

Anyway, it's helped me to compile a lost of people I'd rather not cruise with and be exposed to their value judgement of others (or me) such as "bogans", "common trash", "morons", "idiots" or "pigs at the buffet" (notwithstanding that Aria doesn't have one).

For the record, while I have enjoyed the series for pure entertainment, I found this episode the poorest in terms of memorable moments and laughs.

Edited by strathnaver

Anyway, it's helped me to compile a lost of people I'd rather not cruise with and be exposed to their value judgement of others (or me) such as "bogans", "common trash", "morons", "idiots" or "pigs at the buffet" (notwithstanding that Aria doesn't have one).

Good luck with that!!

Not sure which is worse, those or the" know it alls"

Funny story, on our Emerald cruise last November, we had been at the aft pool, hubby in shorts n tshirt and I had a cover up on over swimmers. We decided to check the dinner menu on our way back to our cabin to decide it we would "buffet it" or do the Dining room (we have Anytime) It was about 5.10pm........we took the lift down to the Traditional Dining room to have a look at the posted menu. There were all these people lined up down the stairs waiting for the dining room to open,.

While having a look at the menu, a man came up to us from up the stairs and proceeded to tell us we would not get in dressed like we were, they have a dress code bla bla hahaha!! We laughed all the way back to our cabin, who lines up that early for a 5.30pm dinner when your table is reserved anyway!!!! and who comes up to tell people how to dress?? I am looking at the bl......dy menu!!!!

We strolled back to our cabin, went to the Elite lounge for drinks then had a leisurely 7pm dinner, dressed much nicer than he was!!

Was the joke of the cruise:')

That's a great summary of the show IMO :D

Has anybody been watching this show? Tomorrow night's ep they are on the Pacific Aria. I was on that cruise with some friends, so will be interesting to see how they portray the ship, and how the 'characters' are in comparison to what we saw them being (or acting :) )

I've been catching up online! The cruise episode is now available so I'll watch it tonight!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good luck with that!!

Not sure which is worse, those or the" know it alls"

Funny story, on our Emerald cruise last November, we had been at the aft pool, hubby in shorts n tshirt and I had a cover up on over swimmers. We decided to check the dinner menu on our way back to our cabin to decide it we would "buffet it" or do the Dining room (we have Anytime) It was about 5.10pm........we took the lift down to the Traditional Dining room to have a look at the posted menu. There were all these people lined up down the stairs waiting for the dining room to open,.

While having a look at the menu, a man came up to us from up the stairs and proceeded to tell us we would not get in dressed like we were, they have a dress code bla bla hahaha!! We laughed all the way back to our cabin, who lines up that early for a 5.30pm dinner when your table is reserved anyway!!!! and who comes up to tell people how to dress?? I am looking at the bl......dy menu!!!!

We strolled back to our cabin, went to the Elite lounge for drinks then had a leisurely 7pm dinner, dressed much nicer than he was!!

Was the joke of the cruise:')

Great story. :D

BTW, They have to eat early so that they can be in bed by 7.30pm so as to get their 8 or 9 hours of sleep.:eek:

Great story. :D

BTW, They have to eat early so that they can be in bed by 7.30pm so as to get their 8 or 9 hours of sleep.:eek:

Ha...I think it is eating early so they can grab seats in the showlounge an hour early;p

I have watched a few episodes and didn't care much for the show, but rather just interested in seeing the locations.

I did think that the young couple were pretty objective and just enjoyed what came their way and so I found that I only really showed much interest in what they had to say.

LOL, I didn't think they opened the doors that early.

They don't, they just line up outside the closed doors. Got to love people on a relaxing holiday who take it as their god given right to tell others what they can and can't do.

Once I was lining up to get off ship on a shore excursion. Shore excursion manager had asked us to wait while he brought another group through. Seeing a gap and no one moving a "gentleman" behind me pushed me in the back and I nearly fell down the stairs.

They don't, they just line up outside the closed doors. Got to love people on a relaxing holiday who take it as their god given right to tell others what they can and can't do.

Once I was lining up to get off ship on a shore excursion. Shore excursion manager had asked us to wait while he brought another group through. Seeing a gap and no one moving a "gentleman" behind me pushed me in the back and I nearly fell down the stairs.

Yep, seen that happen, some people have no patience.