Price drop? I'm not sure I understand!

gigem_aggies

We have a party of 5 in our stateroom and it seems like we all have different rates on our booking! My husband and I have the highest rate (same), followed by my 5 year old ($200 less than our rate), followed by my 4 year old ($450 less than our rate), followed by my 10 year old ($830 less than our rate). Totally doesn't make any sense. Do they take the average of the 5 booking rates to determine what we booked at for price drop? How does that work? Example: I just found the average rate for the the 5 of us to be $853 for a ocean view cabin. I saw that it was currently listed for $843 average. Will I be able to get a $50 OBC since it's $10 less per person on average? Where can I see that I am able to get price protection? We booked with a PVP. I'm calling her anyway tomorrow to get information about the other parties in our group, so I want to be sure to know what I'm dealing with when it comes to OBC! :)

Edited by gigem_aggies

Since you will be talking to your PVP tomorrow I think I would be a great idea to go over how price drops work. The basics are:

Price drops until final payment date unless you booked early saver. ES allows matching up to two days prior to sail but come with some restrictions.

You compare the same sailing date and exact stateroom type and occupancy to figure a price match. Likely given that you have 5 in your stateroom and are sailing the Breeze you are in an 6N Deluxe Ocean View. You will need to look at the price you paid before port fees, taxes and gratuities if you pre paid the tips. If you go to manage my cruise/ billing/ it will be the top number on the right side. Many find the fare viewer helpful : https://www.carnival.com/BookingEngine/FareViewer

Right now your stateroom is $4235 and given your figures assuming this was before tax/ port fees/tips you paid $4265. So you should get a drop of $30. IF your average per person included taxes and port fees you are paying less than the current rate.

Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise.

We have a party of 5 in our stateroom and it seems like we all have different rates on our booking! My husband and I have the highest rate (same), followed by my 5 year old ($200 less than our rate), followed by my 4 year old ($450 less than our rate), followed by my 10 year old ($830 less than our rate). Totally doesn't make any sense. Do they take the average of the 5 booking rates to determine what we booked at for price drop? How does that work? Example: I just found the average rate for the the 5 of us to be $853 for a ocean view cabin. I saw that it was currently listed for $843 average. Will I be able to get a $50 OBC since it's $10 less per person on average? Where can I see that I am able to get price protection? We booked with a PVP. I'm calling her anyway tomorrow to get information about the other parties in our group, so I want to be sure to know what I'm dealing with when it comes to OBC! :)

Once the cost of the cabin is paid for (you & your husband) Carnival just needs to re-coup the cost of food, entertainment, linens, towels, etc on the remaining 3 guests (your kids).

As stated, use the total cost for all 5 of your for price comparisons.

springs741, it took me a long time to figure out how to figure out the price drop and your explanation is EXCELLENT! I did not know about the fare viewer, so I bookmarked it. I always did a "mock booking" to figure out if I had a price drop. Which brings me to my question: if my category sells out, will they still list the prices? Maybe the last fare before category sold out? TIA

If your cabin category sells out, it no longer has a price for that category, so no more mock bookings since there is nothing to match it to.

Yea, that's what I meant, but if I forget to check, let's say for a week, wondered if I could still find out the last price they charged. :rolleyes:

Yea, that's what I meant, but if I forget to check, let's say for a week, wondered if I could still find out the last price they charged. :rolleyes:

Why? They won't give you a price drop based on what the price was last week before your category sold out. If you aren't timely, it's your loss.

I disagree with Springs741 in that you never want to look at the price before taxes and port fees because if the port fees have gone up, you are matching to that too, and it might mean that there is no drop to be had. In their example, you might save $30 before taxes and port fees, but if port fees have gone up $50, you will then be stuck paying $20 more.

Always do a mock booking, and compare the final price, with everything included. And since you can only match to a room for 5 in your category, determining the average price per person in a room for three, for example, is a moot point.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Why? They won't give you a price drop based on what the price was last week before your category sold out. If you aren't timely, it's your loss.

Oh, didn't know that. :confused::confused::confused: Guess I better keep up with it, then!

I disagree with Springs741 in that you never want to look at the price before taxes and port fees because if the port fees have gone up, you are matching to that too, and it might mean that there is no drop to be had. In their example, you might save $30 before taxes and port fees, but if port fees have gone up $50, you will then be stuck paying $20 more.

Always do a mock booking, and compare the final price, with everything included. And since you can only match to a room for 5 in your category, determining the average price per person in a room for three, for example, is a moot point.

This is true....I noticed a while after I booked that the tax/port fees listed in my booking were $22 less/pp (yes, TAXES went DOWN. BIG GASP!! :eek::eek:) They gave us $44 OBC.

Nope, once your category sells out, Carnival's booking engine can't retrieve a price any longer.

And even if you could, it would do you no good, Carnival wouldn't match to it.

You are correct the taxes and port fee sometimes change. Though in my experience not as often as the price fluctuates.

I should have made it more clear that when using the fare viewer you want to use the amount before taxes and port fees. At one point I had 5 cruises I was checking on and I did it multiple times per day. It was much quicker using the fair viewer. When I thought I found a lower price I did the mock booking to compare the overall picture.

Which ever method, fare viewer, mock booking or third party you must be sure you are comparing the same amount. IE before or after taxes, with or without tips.... And you must compare the same category of stateroom with the same number of occupants on the same sail date.

Websites exist that will monitor fares for you an email you if they change. So you'll be able to make timely requests. It's prohibited to name names, but try googling. The site I use is free to browse, if you want it to monitor your sailing they charge $1 per sailing and then will monitor an unlimited number of cabin categories for that sailing. For me it's been accurate and was able to snag a price drop that existed for only a few hours. As a hint, the site is a little 'fish'y.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Websites exist that will monitor fares for you an email you if they change. So you'll be able to make timely requests. It's prohibited to name names, but try googling. The site I use is free to browse, if you want it to monitor your sailing they charge $1 per sailing and then will monitor an unlimited number of cabin categories for that sailing. For me it's been accurate and was able to snag a price drop that existed for only a few hours. As a hint, the site is a little 'fish'y.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

found it! tks.. I just booked for next Feb.' 18.. lets see what it can do for me!:D

Never mind--just talked to PVP. There is a price drop we qualify for, but we'd have to pay a higher deposit. We have ES, so we can keep checking with her. So, that's good for us. I think? Right? :D

Well at least now you know you are booked: Early Saver with reduced deposit.

I am sure your PVP explained that you will have to pay the full deposit to price match unless the fair you match to also offers the same amount of reduced deposit.

Well at least now you know you are booked: Early Saver with reduced deposit.

I am sure your PVP explained that you will have to pay the full deposit to price match unless the fair you match to also offers the same amount of reduced deposit.

But, we are nearing our full payment due date, so once that's done, the deposit wouldn't matter, right?

But, we are nearing our full payment due date, so once that's done, the deposit wouldn't matter, right?

In my opinion, the deposit means nothing. Who cares how much it is, My only priority is the total, price. I'm not going to pay more on the end price, because, I don't want to bother paying more deposit. The overall savings are the only thing, I'm concern with.

Never mind--just talked to PVP. There is a price drop we qualify for, but we'd have to pay a higher deposit. We have ES, so we can keep checking with her. So, that's good for us. I think? Right? :D

I would certainly pay the difference in the deposit and get the reduced rate