Changes at Uniworld

caviargal

Essentially, no paid options.

No dining up-charges no extra tours at extra cost, no special wines/spirits etc. at additional cost...

I'm not suggesting that this is what I want, but it does seem to appeal to some people.

You mean if I want a special bottle of wine to celebrate our anniversary, they don't have one for me? I am sure the every day wines are fine, even very good, but i can't imagine they pour grand cru wines every night.

And are massages included?

Or maybe they just don't offer these things to maintain their "all inclusive" title

I am not sure that is a superior product. But i guess some will settle for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am not sure that is a superior product. But i guess some will settle for that.

Tauck isn't exactly what I call "settling". I ended up choosing them because of no single supplement-- uniworld's pricing on this was just out of hand. But I think both are excellent products and most would be happy on both. I don't think either option would be resorting to "settling".

Edit: I was curious to know what lines you consider all inclusive-- looking at the forums you post on, none are. Then essentially the same "I was ready to book and then found a charge" on silverseas-- I think you need to lower the expectations on this-- the prices are always going to include/exclude certain things. The more inclusive lines are higher priced up front-- you're still paying for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tauck isn't exactly what I call "settling". I ended up choosing them because of no single supplement-- uniworld's pricing on this was just out of hand. But I think both are excellent products and most would be happy on both. I don't think either option would be resorting to "settling".

Edit: I was curious to know what lines you consider all inclusive-- looking at the forums you post on, none are. Then essentially the same "I was ready to book and then found a charge" on silverseas-- I think you need to lower the expectations on this-- the prices are always going to include/exclude certain things. The more inclusive lines are higher priced up front-- you're still paying for it!

I was being a little facetious with the "settling" comment.

I am a very satisfied Uniworld customer. But I have to admit it is the only river cruise line I have sailed. I am still trying to get an idea of the true "all inclusive" lines. Can a line be considered "all inclusive" if it simply does not offer certain item it does not want to include in its base price? Would that make it a superior product?

I just got off a Uniworld cruise. It offered grand cru wines and massages for an added price. I would be interested in hearing if any cruise lines offer these things, unlimited, as part of their basic package.

Dena,

There are Uniworld cruises with no single supplement. I know, I took one. Not every itinerary on every date, but they're out there. Just wanted to get this info out there for solo cruisers who may be following this thread.

Roz

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

I just got off a Uniworld cruise. It offered grand cru wines and massages for an added price. I would be interested in hearing if any cruise lines offer these things, unlimited, as part of their basic package.

No, and it is hardly surprising of course.

If I remember correctly, pretty much the only way you can spend money on a Tauck ship is on laundry and spa services.

As I've said before, you just have to decide where your particular 'bar' is set for 'all-inclusive'.

For us, Uniworld would not qualify due to the on-board speciality dining up-charge, but the optional excursions with an up-charge wouldn't bother us at all.

No, and it is hardly surprising of course.

If I remember correctly, pretty much the only way you can spend money on a Tauck ship is on laundry and spa services.

As I've said before, you just have to decide where your particular 'bar' is set for 'all-inclusive'.

For us, Uniworld would not qualify due to the on-board speciality dining up-charge, but the optional excursions with an up-charge wouldn't bother us at all.

On our recent uniworld cruise on two ships we had a dinner that was part cooking class and included premium wine pairings. For us it was worth it for one night. (Got nice aprons and chefs hats as well) All other alternative dining locations on both ships had no surcharges. So if that is enough to cross them off your list, so be it.

I persist in this thread because I would not want someone to get the wrong impression. I view cruise critic as an important vehicle to share experiences. It is easier to get the right impression when more specific information is shared.

I don't have any recollection of a dining up charge on Uniworld. What did I miss?

Roz

I believe one past criticism of Uniworld was that there was only one dining location on their ships. In recent years, Uniworld has added alternatives. On the two ships we were just on, one had a bistro in the front of the ship, and a supper club in the back of the ship. There was also a wine cave that offered dinners. On the other ship, there was a wine room as well. For all of these locations, there was only one instance of an up charge required. That was in the wine cellar where they offered a cooking class combined with a five course wine pairing dinner. All other alternative locations required no charge.

Have one thought about all of this----TRANSTAFL. For some if you have to pay for laundry, it is not all inclusive. Like Ozjohno, we do spreadsheets of all the lines doing the itinerary we want to travel. It is all in personal preference. You pay for all of it, either before you go or while on the trip. Many still paying after the trip. Pat;)

On our recent uniworld cruise on two ships we had a dinner that was part cooking class and included premium wine pairings. For us it was worth it for one night. (Got nice aprons and chefs hats as well) All other alternative dining locations on both ships had no surcharges. So if that is enough to cross them off your list, so be it.

Thanks for the further clarification, I can understand why it wouldn't bother some people and equally I can see how it does bother others.

Uniworld are off of our list (at least in Europe) due mainly to the interior design choices that have been made, but absent that, yes, the dining up-charge would probably also have them off the list for us.

Some people are egalitarian purist. They demand one size fits all for everyone, with no options. Some of those people post and bitch on the Oceania board because it's two larger ships have a Concierge and Executive Lounge for the higher suites. Not egalitarian. People have both incredible included choices, but also the ability to buy up. I like that system but the egalitarian purists don't.

Uniworld provides a great product, with outstanding included tours, great food and drinks, included gratuities, and the option, in a few cases to ( as Emirl would say) step it up a notch. If that doesn't work for you fine, won't have to hear you complain later!

Some people are egalitarian purist.
Some people are afraid the included product will be downgraded. You don't like jug wine. Would you like to see our wine list? You want more then a ticket for a HO-HO bus. Would you like to purchase a deluxe excursion?

This isn't what Uniworld seems to be doing. That's the fear some posters have, exaggerating to make my point. Look at ocean lines. Many people believe the food in the up charge restaurants aren't even as good as the food which was served in the main dining room 10 (20?) years ago. Most NCL passengers get a cheap booze plan. Posters complain the variety, and quality, of the wines by the glass took a big hit when wine by the glass were given for free.

The issue isn't so much current up charges for uniworld as much as what the future may bring.

Dena,

There are Uniworld cruises with no single supplement. I know, I took one. Not every itinerary on every date, but they're out there. Just wanted to get this info out there for solo cruisers who may be following this thread.

Roz

You are correct-- however Tauck offered them for every cruise. The cruise I wanted was for 2018-- the single supplement wasn't waived for this year, even when it said on the site that it was for that cruise. I wasn't waiting around to take the chance.

"Uniworld are off of our list (at least in Europe) due mainly to the interior design choices that have been made..."

I like Uniworld's interior design choices. Definitely something different. I like the fact that Marie Antoinette exploded in my cabin. ;)

Roz

"Uniworld are off of our list (at least in Europe) due mainly to the interior design choices that have been made..."

I like Uniworld's interior design choices. Definitely something different. I like the fact that Marie Antoinette exploded in my cabin.;)

... and that's good too, having a very strong and distinct style is a decision I can admire, even though I dislike the choice made at an almost visceral level :)

People say the the new Joie de Vivre isn't as over the top as the other recent ships.

Thanks, that could be good news for us at least.

I also hear the ships used in places like Burma are different too, so there is hope yet.

I know we have beaten this dead horse, but my only issue with Uniworld is "all-inclusive" used in their brochure. Maybe that came from being a travel agent in the 80's and all-inclusive was new and it was all-inclusive; but don't put on page 2 of your brochure:

"To us, all-inclusive should include, well, everything"

It does give a false impression that everything is included. Not everyone are experienced travelers and understand that through out the brochure is information on what is not inclusive. Be up front, and * the statement with realism.

With this being said, we are going on our first Uniworld and the -2 lunches, and some up-charges didn't stop us. But that is a personal decision from someone that researched the different river lines. We were on Viking, 2 years ago, and had a wonderful cruise. I love that they allow you to bring alcohol on board as we tried a lot of local beers and wine that wasn't offered this way. They even brought us an ice bucket to put the wine bottle in as we were drinking it on the top deck. After many, many ocean cruises, river cruises seem to be our choice of vacations.

People say the the new Joie de Vivre isn't as over the top as the other recent ships.

The JDV is indeed less in your face and more understated than the Catherine, our only other Uniworld cruise. Lots of dark words, more open lounge with comfortable seating and more welcoming bar. Dining room is also inviting with less heavy decor and a cushioned ceiling which really helped with noise.

I know we have beaten this dead horse, but my only issue with Uniworld is "all-inclusive" used in their brochure. Maybe that came from being a travel agent in the 80's and all-inclusive was new and it was all-inclusive; but don't put on page 2 of your brochure:

That was point, and thank you for making it more concisely.:)

It does give a false impression that everything is included. Not everyone are experienced travelers and understand that through out the brochure is information on what is not inclusive. Be up front, and * the statement with realism.

With this being said, we are going on our first Uniworld and the -2 lunches, and some up-charges didn't stop us. But that is a personal decision from someone that researched the different river lines. We were on Viking, 2 years ago, and had a wonderful cruise. I love that they allow you to bring alcohol on board as we tried a lot of local beers and wine that wasn't offered this way. They even brought us an ice bucket to put the wine bottle in as we were drinking it on the top deck. After many, many ocean cruises, river cruises seem to be our choice of vacations.

If your definition of all inclusive is "well, everything" there will be no such cruise line in existence.

If all you read in a 30 page brochure are the words " all inclusive without reading how that term is defined, you will be disappointed by every cruise line