Compare Star to RCCL ships?

aggiejeff

I've never been on NCL, but looking at a Panama Canal cruise on the Star. I've cruised on Royal Caribbean the most is their a good ship comparison of Star to a RCCL ship?

How does everyone like NCL's freestyle dining?

• 1 month later...
I've never been on NCL, but looking at a Panama Canal cruise on the Star. I've cruised on Royal Caribbean the most is their a good ship comparison of Star to a RCCL ship?

How does everyone like NCL's freestyle dining?

look up NCL STAR problems on utube or facebook :mad::mad::mad::mad:

It's unfortunate that scooterdad had a horrible experience on the Star but thousands have been very happy with the ship and have cruised that Star numerous times. All the problems have been solved on the Star and freestyle cruising is one of the reasons I cruise with NCL.

Just curious, and I'm not trying to be petty. I see many of the negative comments are coming from those that according to the signature cruise history, has not even sailed on the Star. My family and I have booked the Star next summer for a European cruise. Candidly, our choice for this cruise was more for the destinations than the ship. That being said, I would be interested in feedback on the Star, specifically those that have sailed after the refurb a couple of years ago. FYI, I am familiar with the azipod issue earlier this year.

Thanks!

Hi, OP. I haven't sailed on RCI, yet, but from the countless hours I've spent reading on CC, I understand that the brands are very similar with the exception of Freestyle.

Having sailed 15 cruises now with NCL, I can tell you Freestyle works very well. If you only ever want to eat in the MDR and do so at the same time every day, you can do that. If you want to purchase several nights of specialty dining, I would recommend it. I think the food is very good on NCL generally; the main advantage of specialty dining is the menu variety and the superior service. If that isn't a priority for you, and on a port-intensive European cruise it might not be, just stick to the MDR and you will be fine.

I sailed Star in the Med last October, post dry dock, and she was a perfectly serviceable ship. The two features that are missing on Star and her sister Dawn that all the other smaller NCL ships have is a forward observation lounge and a fantail cafe aft of the buffet. As you will be in Europe, you might not have time to use either and likely won't miss either. Star has two brand-new production shows that are excellent. NCL does excel in the entertainment department.

Good luck with your choice, but please don't avoid Star. She will be more than adequate for a European cruise.

The Star is not similar to any RCI ship that I have sailed on (Jewel, Serenade, Radiance, Brilliance, Navigator or Empress). Your experience on board could be totally different......

I would disagree that the food is more varied and the service is superior. In the main dining room we often sat way too long between servings without any attention and the food was mediocre at best. The entertainment was good but not any better than RCI on our western Caribbean cruise from Tampa.

So, if you are booking with the European itinerary and ports as your priority - go for it. Just don't try and compare. That way you probably won't be disappointed.

My family and I have booked the Star next summer for a European cruise. Candidly, our choice for this cruise was more for the destinations than the ship. That being said, I would be interested in feedback on the Star, specifically those that have sailed after the refurb a couple of years ago. FYI, I am familiar with the azipod issue earlier this year. Thanks!

We sailed on the Star in May 2015 after the Portland & Bahamas dry docks. The ship was in great shape.

We were also on the Star in February in Australia when the ship became adrift at sea due to the azipod problems. The ship was still in pretty good shape, but is showing some wear in public areas. Le Bistro is in a small, dark space on this ship. But all the other specialty dining venues are good. The Venetian MDR is nice. We had 8 cabins on the cabin crawl and I will say the suites are the way to go on the Star! The Garden Villa is huge.

Just curious, and I'm not trying to be petty. I see many of the negative comments are coming from those that according to the signature cruise history, has not even sailed on the Star. My family and I have booked the Star next summer for a European cruise. Candidly, our choice for this cruise was more for the destinations than the ship. That being said, I would be interested in feedback on the Star, specifically those that have sailed after the refurb a couple of years ago. FYI, I am familiar with the azipod issue earlier this year.

Thanks!

Let´s see - I´ve cruised with both lines before and not just once, I think I am able to compare.

NCL was always one of my favourite cruiselines because of the freestyle concept. So I am without prejudice.

I returned from the Star on April 30, 2017, so my impression is new. I wrote a review at cruisecritics too - just have a look.

My conclusions of the Norwegian Star is not a good one - I was not very satisfied with the "performance", the food and some staff.

Would I cruise with the Star again - yes, but it would be depending on the price. If there is another line with a similar price and a similar itinerary, I would prefer another line.

Would I choose NCL again - yes - because experiences could be very different at another ship.

I am not a loyal customer to one cruiseline – I made my decisions depending on date, price and itinerary. Additionally We book solo balcony cabins – so the solo supplement is an important factor too.

A cruiseline charging more than twice the double rate is out of the picture too….

Wendy

NCL was always one of my favourite cruiselines because of the freestyle concept.

Wendy

I've been on NCL twice and Royal Caribbean four times. I don't see any difference between "freestyle" and MTD. With the possible exception being that on "freestyle", you HAVE to make reservations for specialties.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums