Naples - can you walk into centre...

Mmaazzaa

Is it possible to walk into the centre of Naples from the cruise terminal or is it a shuttle bus. My port list says 10 minutes but not sure if this is on foot or by bus?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

10 minutes is definitely on foot.

Depends how long you have to wait for the traffic to stop when crossing "The Road of Death".

ANYONE who has walked into Naples from the terminal knows exactly what I'm talking about ... best of British and may the force be with you ;p

We walked from the cruise terminal past the castle to a shopping area. I think the city is quite big so it may depend on what you want to see. I wanted to go to the archeological museum but it closes the day I was in the city. There are lots of street sellers and excursion operators from the port to the city. They were not too bothersome. I loved Naples it seemed like a big European cross roads for people. Ferries going everywhere. It has probably been like that for centuries. Obviously be careful as you would expect in any city.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Depends how long you have to wait for the traffic to stop when crossing "The Road of Death".

ANYONE who has walked into Naples from the terminal knows exactly what I'm talking about ... best of British and may the force be with you ;p

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Is it possible to walk into the centre of Naples from the cruise terminal or is it a shuttle bus. My port list says 10 minutes but not sure if this is on foot or by bus?

There are a good selection of shops in the large terminal building.When you walk outside there are masses of taxis parked.

The main road is within 300 yards of the terminal and is full of vehicles watch​ out for the scooters as they often come on the path and all the drivers are nuts.

You walk up a hill for another 3-400 yards and you reach the main shopping street.

You can walk several hundred yards in either direction for shipping.Behind the main streets there are many side streets where the locals shop but watch out for the scooters and pick pockets.

We cruise with RCCL and P&O.

Fascinating city and well worth making the effort to get out on foot especially on the narrow throughfares further up the hill. One of my favourite destinations

A tour to Sorrento or Capri is a brilliant alternative.

43 cruises and counting.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Made me laugh out loud.

Have read on here somewhere about other folk from cruises not feeling 100% safe in the bit between the ship and the town centre. I personally would not walk in to town here. No disrespect to this part of Italy and the many lovely people here (we love this place), but we have friends who have Italian relatives who live in this area who would agree.

Get a taxi !!!!

We just follow an Italian.

Last time we were there we went up the top on the funicular. We were walking down the street when we came to the road which was coming up from the town. We were there a while when an elderly Italian lady came and just walked straight across! Anyway she looked back at us still standing there, walked out into the road again, stopping all the traffic, took hold of our hands and lead us across. It was so funny, but we were very grateful.:)

We just follow an Italian.

Last time we were there we went up the top on the funicular. We were walking down the street when we came to the road which was coming up from the town. We were there a while when an elderly Italian lady came and just walked straight across! Anyway she looked back at us still standing there, walked out into the road again, stopping all the traffic, took hold of our hands and lead us across. It was so funny, but we were very grateful.:)

That is so sweet !

We have been to Italy a lot and we think that we are more confident now crossing the road.

Basically, put your toe on the road as if you are walking out and go for it. They avoid you! Show no fear!!!!

The other secret is ........ prayer !!!!!!

There are queues of taxis i don't think they would be to keen to lose their place for someone just traveling about half a mile as they are touting mainly to take you on a tour.

43 cruises and counting.

I'll check with my friend re this one and see what they say --- personally I really would be careful which way I walked in to town, but to their own

That is so sweet !

We have been to Italy a lot and we think that we are more confident now crossing the road.

Basically, put your toe on the road as if you are walking out and go for it. They avoid you! Show no fear!!!!

The other secret is ........ prayer !!!!!!

There are crossing lights which helps.

43 cruises and counting.

I think the worry is trying not to get mugged between the ship and town .......... you may survive the road but not the back streets .............. unless you have a nun on hand

There are around 2 million people living around the centre of Naples and when you get off the main shopping streets there is a massive maze of back streets where the locals shop and live but leave any valuables on the ship because it can be scary and the motor scooters whiz around the back streets and can grab your bag and lose themselves easily.

43 cruises and counting.

There are around 2 million people living around the centre of Naples and when you get off the main shopping streets there is a massive maze of back streets where the locals shop and live but leave any valuables on the ship because it can be scary and the motor scooters whiz around the back streets and can grab your bag and lose themselves easily.

43 cruises and counting.

Just be aware of mad drivers , scooters and pickpockets on scooters. Don't wear anything of value. But enjoy.....Naples is one of my favourite cities. Full of life and manic.

That's what we mean.

Love it too but there is a need to take care.

I never carry a bag or have lots of jewellery so leave necklaces on the ship. Why tempt fate?

Italy ...... full of life and manic :) BUT we take care and just love every second

PS Feel far safer in Rome than London ............

That's what we mean.

Love it too but there is a need to take care.

I never carry a bag or have lots of jewellery so leave necklaces on the ship. Why tempt fate?

Italy ...... full of life and manic :) BUT we take care and just love every second

PS Feel far safer in Rome than London ............

We have visited Napoli(Naples) ten times and it is a very vibrant city where there are loads of street vendors and lots to see.

The streets are always full of people.

There are lots of independent shops in the back streets and they sell a lot of interesting items quite cheap because it is where the locals shop.

43 cruises and counting.

We have visited Napoli(Naples) ten times and it is a very vibrant city where there are loads of street vendors and lots to see.

The streets are always full of people.

There are lots of independent shops in the back streets and they sell a lot of interesting items quite cheap because it is where the locals shop.

43 cruises and counting.

I'm thinking the back streets where there aren't as many people ;p