Buying cigarettes on board

bigenna

Asking this for a friend who has not sailed before. Since I and none of my family smoke, I could not answer her questions.Does princess sell duty free cigarettes on board?

Are there a fairly wide selection of Canadian brands and what are the prices like?

Asking this for a friend who has not sailed before. Since I and none of my family smoke, I could not answer her questions.Does princess sell duty free cigarettes on board?

Are there a fairly wide selection of Canadian brands and what are the prices like?

As of our last cruise they were still selling cartons on board, I don't remember the limits duty free. I really only remember Marlboro, as that is what DS still smokes.

Yes, they do sell cigarettes onboard. It is in the gift shop. I am not sure of the available brands or prices. It the past I did not find their "duty free" price to be great, but we are in a state with a fairly low cigarette tax.

They sell cartons of duty free cigarettes at the ship's 'boutique shop'. However, like alcohol they are not delivered until the last night. There are no Canadian brands.

In January (on the Diamond), a 'take away' pack of Marlboros was $4.99 at the boutique shop and $4.00 at the deck bars.

Edited by Bill B

DH still smokes. Cigarettes can go for as cheap as $30.00 a carton. As we live in California, it is now cheaper for me to cruise and buy his cigarettes at sea. It's a sacrifice, but someone has to do it. ;p

But does he owe CA state tax?

The no cigarettes until the end of the cruise must be a new thing

DW and I have always bought 2 cartons @ $31 per and take them back to the cabin with us for consumption while traveling.

The selection of cigarettes is very weak on board any line we have sailed.

DH still smokes. Cigarettes can go for as cheap as $30.00 a carton. As we live in California, it is now cheaper for me to cruise and buy his cigarettes at sea. It's a sacrifice, but someone has to do it. ;p

Since the tax just went up by another $2 per pack here in California I can see how cruising for cigarettes would be the way to go. I'm hoping my daughter will quit due to the added cost.

The no cigarettes until the end of the cruise must be a new thing

DW and I have always bought 2 cartons @ $31 per and take them back to the cabin with us for consumption while traveling.

Which Princess ships allowed you to take the cartons to your cabin before the last night of the cruise?

Between 2002 and this February I have not been able to do that on the Grand, Golden, Star, Sapphire, Emerald, Ruby, Caribbean, Royal, Regal, and Coral.

Which Princess ships allowed you to take the cartons to your cabin before the last night of the cruise?

Between 2002 and this February I have not been able to do that on the Grand, Golden, Star, Sapphire, Emerald, Ruby, Caribbean, Royal, Regal, and Coral.

On the Emerald Sept 2016 Southampton to Sydney I could buy a carton of cigarettes to take with me to my room. Maybe they allowed it because it was a longer cruise.

The last time we sailed princess was 2015 on the Ruby and we very much brought our smokes back to the cabin.

• 6 years later...

Buy 3 cartons get one free.  Price for Marlboro Reds was in the neighborhood of $160 for the four cartons.   That was a few months ago.  I don't smoke.  We get them for my BIL.   It is likely the pricing at duty free shops at the airports will also be attractive to smokers.    

Note that there are U.S. customs restrictions of one carton per person.   If disembarking at a U.S. port, you probably won't even stop for Customs.  If entering via an airport, it is likely you won't be asked.  Done this several times and I've never been asked. However, if I was asked, I would tell the truth.  

I remember that when you buy the 200 packs of cigarettes you could walk out the shop with them unlike alcohol bottles.  I think this was more to do with selling drinks at bars would decline if you could bulk buy from the shop.  The same applies to these items being bought ashore at ports, drinks get impounded not cigarettes in my experience.

Regards John

• Haha 2

Got off the Ruby 10 days ago.  Marlboro were $60 a carton, buy 3 get 1 free, or $45 each.  

On carnival a month ago, they were $260 for 5 cartons, or $52 per carton.  Definitely stick with princess on the pricing! 

Never been stopped at customs, but I'd tell the truth if they asked.