Shorts in main dining room on Indy

My husband wore cargo shorts and a golf shirt to dinner on Indy in February. It wasn't planned. We originally had a 7:30 reservation for the 5 of us, but then the kids asked to eat at the Windjammer with their friends. My husband and I stopped the MDR shortly after they opened to change our reservation from 5 people to just the 2 of us. They said they could seat us right then if we wanted.

My SO wore nice shorts and a colorful African shirt on onenight (Liberty of the Seas, Feb 2017). I think it was the Caribbean themenight. It was great since we had a very long shore excursion in Belize that dayand were too exhausted to fuss over our evening clothes much.

RCI has suggestions for dress, not mandatory dress codes.

Just posted on the Royal Caribbean Blog - They have reversed course and shorts are NO LONGER acceptable attire for the MDR. http://www.******************.com/2017/04/06/royal-caribbean-updates-dining-room-dress-code-again-and-removes-shorts

Gawd sake! I wish they would make up their minds!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
We just got off Indy. My husband wore shorts one casual evening without a problem. As well as a lunch !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are on indy in 13 days,i wouldn't put shorts on in the MTD but its up to the restaurant manager to decide the dress code he allows.

43 cruises and counting.

I read in another thread, RCCL is back to NO shorts and tank top in MD for dinner ! Good !

I also read that this was the case, but I can tell you that the Oasis didn't get the memo. We are on this week and there are a lot of shorts, tee shirts --- advertising your favorite college or conference, themed tee shirts from certain well known restaurant and bar locales, flip flops, sandals, etc. Kids, young adults and adults alike. Normally I wouldn't notice it, but our table for two is along the rail, so there is a lot of traffic going by. Only saw one or two tank tops. This is all at dinner, we have not done the MDR for lunch.

I'm not a fan of the attire, but the food has been quite good.

mac_tlc

I wear shorts everyday (including formal nights) in MDR and Specialty dining venues. Have never had anyone speak up about it. Of course I know it is technically not accepted, but I'm on vacation and some rules are just made to be broken. If someone were to speak up about it, it would just drive me to a different cruise line for the future. RCI could choose to enforce this rule, but then they would lose a large portion of the millennial group they are currently marketing to on their commercials we see.

Kyle

Guess he wears them to weddings too![emoji12]

Actually, my fiancee and I plan on being married in the KISS wedding chapel in Vegas within the next year, and she's already said she wants me in shorts and a Hawaiian-style button-up shirt for the ceremony. "Formal" kinda goes out the window when a Gene Simmons look-alike is giving the vows...

As for the discrepancy between what the phone reps/Internet webmasters say and what happens on the ship: The phone reps and webmasters aren't trapped on a boat with irritated passengers. Best to ignore everything but the most flagrant violations.

As for me: I'll wear shorts to the MDR and Chops. If I'm turned away, I'll cheerfully go back to our cabin and change into long pants.

I wear shorts everyday (including formal nights) in MDR and Specialty dining venues. Have never had anyone speak up about it. Of course I know it is technically not accepted, but I'm on vacation and some rules are just made to be broken. If someone were to speak up about it, it would just drive me to a different cruise line for the future. RCI could choose to enforce this rule, but then they would lose a large portion of the millennial group they are currently marketing to on their commercials we see.

Kyle

The interesting thing is that it's not the "millenials" that are all wearing shorts, or tee shirts or flip flops. Maybe RCI would get back some cruisers if they enforced their own suggested attire?

I happen to have two "millenials" and they have never, nor would they choose to, wear shorts in the MDR.

I never understood who decides which rules are made to be broken and which ones are not..

mac_tlc

We are on the Indy now and at formal night last night there was at least 2 people wearing shorts, albeit smart ones rather than beach ones. I didn't think it was wholly appropriate on formal night.

That's what i think but there is usually a few people who post who think very casual is acceptable on formal night.

43 cruises and counting.

It's up to RCI to enforce their rules. Until then I will continue to wear my shorts to whatever venue I desire. If/when they decide to enforce this rule I will abide, then I will have to decide if RCI is right for my future vacation dollars.

Kyle

Kyle

Where is the list of rules that are made to be broken? I missed getting the memo on this. I imagine the chair hogs feel that rule is made to be broken, too.

If anybody can pick any rule, imagine the chaos.

Where is the list of rules that are made to be broken? I missed getting the memo on this. I imagine the chair hogs feel that rule is made to be broken, too.

Another rule not enforced by RCI is the arrival time at the embarkation pier. I highly doubt I am the only person that disregards the time listed on my set sail pass and shows up earlier.

RCI can choose to enforce or ignore whatever rules they want. They certainly choose to enforce the bringing of outside alcohol onto their ships. They know that a certain percentage of folks would not cruise if they enforced this rule. I just happen to be one of them.

Kyle

Exactly,some rules might be silly but as adults we should set an example and abide by the rules of where we are.

43 cruises and counting.

If I can choose one to break I am not wasting that sucker on the "no shorts in MDR". Far better value in breaking the "no sharing drinks package" rule.

I don't understand why adults say they follow a rule only if someone enforces it. I would be totally embarrassed if stopped at the entrance of a restaurant and requested to go back and hange. For me it is a question of decent education to follow some basic rules.

I do understand that many people don't like suits and ties while on vacation. But shorts in the evening and even on formal nights? It is cold enough in the dining room and an adult should be able to bring along one long trousers. It is not a Taco Bell or McDonalds. Everyone on this forum expects high quality food and kind of luxury atmosphere from the restaurants on Royal ships. Does this match with shorts, flip flops and tank tops in the evening? Would you do this in an upscale restaurant at home?

I don't understand why adults say they follow a rule only if someone enforces it. I would be totally embarrassed if stopped at the entrance of a restaurant and requested to go back and hange. For me it is a question of decent education to follow some basic rules.

I do understand that many people don't like suits and ties while on vacation. But shorts in the evening and even on formal nights? It is cold enough in the dining room and an adult should be able to bring along one long trousers. It is not a Taco Bell or McDonalds. Everyone on this forum expects high quality food and kind of luxury atmosphere from the restaurants on Royal ships. Does this match with shorts, flip flops and tank tops in the evening? Would you do this in an upscale restaurant at home?

It would be embarrassing for me if i had to change so i always dress appropriately.

Great sensible post.

43 cruises and counting.

Does this match with shorts, flip flops and tank tops in the evening? Would you do this in an upscale restaurant at home?

Living in Palm Beach, Florida, yes, shorts are pretty much a given at 99% of dining venues here, at least to anything comparable to a cruise ship dining room, or a notch or three higher.

Nice shorts with a put together outfit doesn't mean tank tops and flip flops. Please stop painting everyone who wants to wear shorts as also wanting to wear beach wear to the dining room; we all know that is not true. Extreme arguments are not the reality, they are the outliers. Many people just want to wear some nice walking shorts with a polo or button up shirt. See also: Resort casual.

I hope this helps you. I've noticed on this forum whenever someone wishes to paint anyone other than themselves as "less than" they always start with 'I don't understand'. Well, now hopefully you do understand a little bit.

I wonder if there is a difference in whether people wear shorts in the MDR, and whether it is enforced, when Indy is in the UK for the summer versus when it is based in Florida for the winter?