Shorts in main dining room on Indy

Great comment, guess the Rule Breakers are the ones that Break the Driving Laws/Speed limits then complain when they get a Ticket, but then again you get the I'm on Vacation mentality and I will do what I want to, probably don't like queueing either so jump the line.

I would never dream of jumping the line; I'd be inconveniencing people by making them wait longer for their dinner. But if I wait in line like everyone else whilst wearing appropriate shoes, smart-looking shorts, a button-up shirt, and a fashionable hat such as a newsboy or a trilby, I'm hurting no one.

DressCode_Table.jpg

Q: What are the dress codes onboard?s.gifA: When you’re onboard, the right look will vary by venue. But here are a few types of suggested attire you’ll see, grouped by item.

• Casual: You’re on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch.
    Smart Casual: Think of this as a step up from your typical dinner wear. Dress to impress with collared shirts, dresses, skirts and blouses, or pantsuits. Jackets, sports coats and blazers are snazzy and welcomed.
  • Formal: Make it a night out in your best black-tie look – suits and ties, tuxedos, cocktail dresses or evening gowns. There can be 1-3 formal nights during a sailing and is at the ship’s discretion.

Please note that bare feet are not allowed at any time in any venue and tank tops are not permitted in the Main Dining Room or Specialty Dining venues for dinner.

Here the rules from Royal's website as of January 2017. This has always been a highly debated subject. I have seen passengers come in the MDR with a wife beater shirt, shorts and flip flops.

I understand that it doesn't affect my dining but it does in a way. This person couldn't take five minutes to change into something decent to wear.

It depends on who is standing at the desk when you enter the MDR, as I said earlier, Indy dining room manager sent people out of to change. Good for him. I don't want to sit at a table where someone is wearing a wife beater and I can see every hair on his chest, arms and back. Sorry just doesn't appeal to me.

We only ever sit on a table for 2 as we are dealing with people all week in our jobs so just want to be on our own.

We are going on a 3 night cruise on indy in 11 days to get us up to Diamond+.

I agree with you about the dress code but have found if you say something critical on this thread you are accused of living in a different century so i am pleased the restaurant manager is showing good sense because he makes the decision who is allowed in.

43 cruises and counting.

OK Harvey calm down. While standing in line I witnessed the dining room manager sending them away. Next my table was in the King Lear right in the front, about 20 to 30 steps from the entrance and saw them turning away passengers.

It is really none of your business what I saw, since I am telling the truth but I will answer your question. It happened on two of the nights I ate in the MDR. I have better things to do when in the MDR but when you can't miss them turning passengers away, I notice.

As I said earlier, it does effect me somewhat, when you have people that can't take five minutes to change into something decent, jeans, khakis, capris (women), etc. I don't want someone in a wife beater, shorts and flip flops at my table.

Do you have nothing better to do then perform an inquisition on me? You must be really bored.

Well said.

43 cruises and counting.

OK Harvey calm down. While standing in line I witnessed the dining room manager sending them away. Next my table was in the King Lear right in the front, about 20 to 30 steps from the entrance and saw them turning away passengers.

It is really none of your business what I saw, since I am telling the truth but I will answer your question. It happened on two of the nights I ate in the MDR. I have better things to do when in the MDR but when you can't miss them turning passengers away, I notice.

As I said earlier, it does effect me somewhat, when you have people that can't take five minuctes to change into something decent, jeans, khakis, capris (women), etc. I don't want someone in a wife beater, shorts and flip flops at my table.

Do you have nothing better to do then perform an inquisition on me? You must be really bored.

firegal,

I believe you worded your post 'every night' because it supports your belief of no shorts in the MDR.

A new 'dress code' or 'dress suggestion' thread seems to be started almost every day.

It seems to me, from CC'ers reports, shorts' wearers are allowed in the MDR more often than not. It also seems to be up to the Matre'd, head waiter, or host/hostess.

My personal belief is I couldn't care less. I can't see how it could or would affect anyone's dining experience.

Even cutoffs, wife beater T's, and flip flops.

Anyone, just like yourself, can twist an argument to make themselves seem right.

I find entertainment in reading the conflicting responses. Just as entertaining are the chair hog threads, and especially the reviews where everything went wrong.

And yes, I must be bored, in my retirement, just like many on these boards.

Thanks for contributing to my fun!

Harvey

As I said earlier, it does effect me somewhat, when you have people that can't take five minutes to change into something decent, jeans, khakis, capris (women), etc. I don't want someone in a wife beater, shorts and flip flops at my table.

Curious when did this happen? I would love this to happen on all ships , we sail on Liberty in 13 days. ( we are also in a Dallas suburb and used to live in Irving)

60 cruises and 3 more booked

Curious when did this happen? I would love this to happen on all ships , we sail on Liberty in 13 days. ( we are also in a Dallas suburb and used to live in Irving)

60 cruises and 3 more booked

She said on indy recently.

43 cruises and counting.

Can people please stop using the term "wife beater"??? That is so inappropriate, outdated and offensive.

It's the accepted name for that style of t-shirt, unfortunately. Not sure what other term could be used other than "sleeveless t-shirt."

It's the accepted name for that style of t-shirt, unfortunately. Not sure what other term could be used other than "sleeveless t-shirt."

It's not "accepted", it's a rude slang term that I've actually even seen bleeped on television. Tank top works just fine to describe it. There is another slang term for the shirt that is a racial/ethnic slur, hopefully that one won't pop up next.

It's not "accepted", it's a rude slang term that I've actually even seen bleeped on television. Tank top works just fine to describe it. There is another slang term for the shirt that is a racial/ethnic slur, hopefully that one won't pop up next.

Best to wear a nice shirt or polo shirt and just blend in.

43 cruises and counting.

firegal,

I believe you worded your post 'every night' because it supports your belief of no shorts in the MDR.

A new 'dress code' or 'dress suggestion' thread seems to be started almost every day.

It seems to me, from CC'ers reports, shorts' wearers are allowed in the MDR more often than not. It also seems to be up to the Matre'd, head waiter, or host/hostess.

My personal belief is I couldn't care less. I can't see how it could or would affect anyone's dining experience.

Even cutoffs, wife beater T's, and flip flops.

Anyone, just like yourself, can twist an argument to make themselves seem right.

I find entertainment in reading the conflicting responses. Just as entertaining are the chair hog threads, and especially the reviews where everything went wrong.

And yes, I must be bored, in my retirement, just like many on these boards.

Thanks for contributing to my fun!

Harvey

Good post

I don't understand why adults say they follow a rule only if someone enforces it. I would be totally embarrassed if stopped at the entrance of a restaurant and requested to go back and hange. For me it is a question of decent education to follow some basic rules.

I do understand that many people don't like suits and ties while on vacation. But shorts in the evening and even on formal nights? It is cold enough in the dining room and an adult should be able to bring along one long trousers. It is not a Taco Bell or McDonalds. Everyone on this forum expects high quality food and kind of luxury atmosphere from the restaurants on Royal ships. Does this match with shorts, flip flops and tank tops in the evening? Would you do this in an upscale restaurant at home?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well said.

Can people please stop using the term "wife beater"??? That is so inappropriate, outdated and offensive.

I agree. I hate that name.

I live in Dallas area where we are 100 for at least part of the summer and I can wear shorts 8 months out of the year, it is rare to see shorts here at the better restaurants like Del Frisco , 3 Forks etc , but agree with it is up to RCCL to enforce rules or not

Probably because Dallas isn't considered to be a tropical vacation locale. It's more than about the temperature...it's about the overall setting.

The look of people directly contributes to the look and atmosphere of a restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So your dining experience is lessened if someone 3 tables away is wearing a polo shirt and nice shorts?

Edited by CruisinShips