Shorts in main dining room on Indy

Living in Palm Beach, Florida, yes, shorts are pretty much a given at 99% of dining venues here, at least to anything comparable to a cruise ship dining room, or a notch or three higher.

Nice shorts with a put together outfit doesn't mean tank tops and flip flops. Please stop painting everyone who wants to wear shorts as also wanting to wear beach wear to the dining room; we all know that is not true. Extreme arguments are not the reality, they are the outliers. Many people just want to wear some nice walking shorts with a polo or button up shirt. See also: Resort casual.

I hope this helps you. I've noticed on this forum whenever someone wishes to paint anyone other than themselves as "less than" they always start with 'I don't understand'. Well, now hopefully you do understand a little bit.

Wow it must be fantastic living in Palm beach and i would be wearing shorts all the time in that heat.

IMO i leave the decision with the restaurant manager what he thinks is appropriate dress as it doesn't bother me.

43 cruises and counting.

I wonder if there is a difference in whether people wear shorts in the MDR, and whether it is enforced, when Indy is in the UK for the summer versus when it is based in Florida for the winter?

Its usually colder around the UK and Norway so long trousers are more a necessity than in Florida or the Caribbean.

43 cruises and counting.

Living in Palm Beach, Florida, yes, shorts are pretty much a given at 99% of dining venues here, at least to anything comparable to a cruise ship dining room, or a notch or three higher.

Nice shorts with a put together outfit doesn't mean tank tops and flip flops. Please stop painting everyone who wants to wear shorts as also wanting to wear beach wear to the dining room; we all know that is not true. Extreme arguments are not the reality, they are the outliers. Many people just want to wear some nice walking shorts with a polo or button up shirt. See also: Resort casual.

I hope this helps you. I've noticed on this forum whenever someone wishes to paint anyone other than themselves as "less than" they always start with 'I don't understand'. Well, now hopefully you do understand a little bit.

Thank you. My point exactly. I wear 'resort casual' not just to dinner but all week and every where when I vacation. I wear this attire not just on cruise ships, but at all venues I visit. If RCI decides to enforce, then I take my vacation money elsewhere. I never said I wear flip flops or tank tops to dinner nor did the OP.

Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I said I do not understand why many people follow a given dress code only if it is enforced by the poor crew members. Why?

I also believe that gentlemen from a certain age should wear long trousers for dinner inside and in an air conditioned environment, but this is of course subjective.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I said I do not understand why many people follow a given dress code only if it is enforced by the poor crew members. Why?

I also believe that gentlemen from a certain age should wear long trousers for dinner inside and in an air conditioned environment, but this is of course subjective.

What age? I've never been cold in a dining room; quite the opposite; I've been very hot and uncomfortable depending on the location.

I don't get guilt tripped about the staff. Whatever they do or don't do, or have to work with or don't have is set up by management. I won't go onto a vacation with the mindset it is guests versus staff.

on the Independence last year,saw a passenger go into the MDR wearing a black mini dress with one bare shoulder, very tall heels, a large Afro-carribean hair style and a beard.

We think he was on of a party of tranvestites.

So anything goes on RCL

I always do but if no-one else enforces this i am not going to let it spoil our cruise.

43 cruises and counting.

I live in Dallas area where we are 100 for at least part of the summer and I can wear shorts 8 months out of the year, it is rare to see shorts here at the better restaurants like Del Frisco , 3 Forks etc , but agree with it is up to RCCL to enforce rules or not

I live in Dallas area where we are 100 for at least part of the summer and I can wear shorts 8 months out of the year, it is rare to see shorts here at the better restaurants like Del Frisco , 3 Forks etc , but agree with it is up to RCCL to enforce rules or not

It just shows even somewhere hot people do wear long trousers for dinner.

43 cruises and counting.

It just shows even somewhere hot people do wear long trousers for dinner.

43 cruises and counting.

Well, I expect those restaurants are air conditioned. Not too many dockside restaurants in Dallas :)

I don't understand why adults say they follow a rule only if someone enforces it.

Because most do. Ever go 56 mph on a 55mph freeway? Ever give your password for a website to someone? Ever show up to a hotel to check in five minutes before Check-in Time? Ever drink beer when you were under 21? You get the point. All of those actions are breaking rules, and three of them are actually illegal. Some rules are RULES, and some rules are SUGGESTIONS as long as you don't get caught. It's the way of the world.

A better question to ask IMHO is "Are my actions hurting anyone?" If I'm wearing nice-looking shorts and a button-up shirt to the MDR then no, I'm not hurting anyone.

Because most do. Ever go 56 mph on a 55mph freeway? Ever give your password for a website to someone? Ever show up to a hotel to check in five minutes before Check-in Time? Ever drink beer when you were under 21? You get the point. All of those actions are breaking rules, and three of them are actually illegal. Some rules are RULES, and some rules are SUGGESTIONS as long as you don't get caught. It's the way of the world.

A better question to ask IMHO is "Are my actions hurting anyone?" If I'm wearing nice-looking shorts and a button-up shirt to the MDR then no, I'm not hurting anyone.

Perfectly said.

43 cruises and counting.

The look of people directly contributes to the look and atmosphere of a restaurant.

It might now be called suggestion and might not be enforced quiet often because no one at a nice place for vacation wants to initiate discussions and arguments, especially between employees and very outspoken guests ar a public place. To show up on formal nights in shorts remains disrespectful and ignorant. Everone is ok with no longer black suits and ties but why go directly to the other extreme?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I don't understand why adults say they follow a rule only if someone enforces it. I would be totally embarrassed if stopped at the entrance of a restaurant and requested to go back and hange. For me it is a question of decent education to follow some basic rules.

I do understand that many people don't like suits and ties while on vacation. But shorts in the evening and even on formal nights? It is cold enough in the dining room and an adult should be able to bring along one long trousers. It is not a Taco Bell or McDonalds. Everyone on this forum expects high quality food and kind of luxury atmosphere from the restaurants on Royal ships. Does this match with shorts, flip flops and tank tops in the evening? Would you do this in an upscale restaurant at home?

Great comment, guess the Rule Breakers are the ones that Break the Driving Laws/Speed limits then complain when they get a Ticket, but then again you get the I'm on Vacation mentality and I will do what I want to, probably don't like queueing either so jump the line.

The look of people directly contributes to the look and atmosphere of a restaurant.

It might now be called suggestion and might not be enforced quiet often because no one at a nice place for vacation wants to initiate discussions and arguments, especially between employees and very outspoken guests ar a public place. To show up on formal nights in shorts remains disrespectful and ignorant. Everone is ok with no longer black suits and ties but why go directly to the other extreme?

Excellent post.

43 cruises and counting.

Great comment, guess the Rule Breakers are the ones that Break the Driving Laws/Speed limits then complain when they get a Ticket, but then again you get the I'm on Vacation mentality and I will do what I want to, probably don't like queueing either so jump the line.

Great comment,

43 cruises and counting.

I don't really care one way or the other - I wouldn't do it, but if someone wants to wear shorts in the MDR, it's not going to have any effect on my vacation. But to call someone "ignorant" for doing so is pretty harsh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Forums mobile app

I don't really care one way or the other - I wouldn't do it, but if someone wants to wear shorts in the MDR, it's not going to have any effect on my vacation. But to call someone "ignorant" for doing so is pretty harsh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Forums mobile app

Its up to the restaurant manager what he deems is suitable attire but i wouldn't want to be embarrassed by being turned away.

I love wearing tailored shorts but wouldn't dream of wearing them on a night in the restaurant.

43 cruises and counting.

DressCode_Table.jpg

Q: What are the dress codes onboard?s.gifA: When you’re onboard, the right look will vary by venue. But here are a few types of suggested attire you’ll see, grouped by item.

• Casual: You’re on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch.
    Smart Casual: Think of this as a step up from your typical dinner wear. Dress to impress with collared shirts, dresses, skirts and blouses, or pantsuits. Jackets, sports coats and blazers are snazzy and welcomed.
  • Formal: Make it a night out in your best black-tie look – suits and ties, tuxedos, cocktail dresses or evening gowns. There can be 1-3 formal nights during a sailing and is at the ship’s discretion.

Please note that bare feet are not allowed at any time in any venue and tank tops are not permitted in the Main Dining Room or Specialty Dining venues for dinner.

Here the rules from Royal's website as of January 2017. This has always been a highly debated subject. I have seen passengers come in the MDR with a wife beater shirt, shorts and flip flops.

I understand that it doesn't affect my dining but it does in a way. This person couldn't take five minutes to change into something decent to wear.

It depends on who is standing at the desk when you enter the MDR, as I said earlier, Indy dining room manager sent people out of to change. Good for him. I don't want to sit at a table where someone is wearing a wife beater and I can see every hair on his chest, arms and back. Sorry just doesn't appeal to me.

I just got off the Indy and every evening people in shorts were turned away and told them to change into pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You witnessed this? Were you standing near the hostess stand every night monitoring? For how long each night? Or was your table located near the hostess stand and you kept one eye in observation of what the host/hostess were doing? Or did this happen every evening while you were waiting to be seated? Please explain how you saw this happening every evening.

Harvey

OK Harvey calm down. While standing in line I witnessed the dining room manager sending them away. Next my table was in the King Lear right in the front, about 20 to 30 steps from the entrance and saw them turning away passengers.

It is really none of your business what I saw, since I am telling the truth but I will answer your question. It happened on two of the nights I ate in the MDR. I have better things to do when in the MDR but when you can't miss them turning passengers away, I notice.

As I said earlier, it does effect me somewhat, when you have people that can't take five minutes to change into something decent, jeans, khakis, capris (women), etc. I don't want someone in a wife beater, shorts and flip flops at my table.

Do you have nothing better to do then perform an inquisition on me? You must be really bored.

Where is the list of rules that are made to be broken? I missed getting the memo on this. I imagine the chair hogs feel that rule is made to be broken, too.

If anybody can pick any rule, imagine the chaos.

There are many rules that many adults bend or break every day. I suppose there are some people who wait at every corner as pedestrians for the light to change and never ever cross in the middle of the block. And come to an absolute complete stop at every sign before turning no matter time of day or night. And no one ever takes a tax credit they might not be entirely due, or might not have all the documents to back up, etc etc etc.

Feel free to add your own that you may know of.