Live - Crystal Mozart Danube Cruise April 12 -22

ClefsDor

Many thanks for sharing your trip with us, it was like going back in time to my Mozart cruise last September - although I'm pleased I had warmer weather than you did. Passau was our only cool and rainy stop. Hope you have a comfortable flight home with Emirates - shame they don't have their own lounge in Vienna, that shared one is a bit of a shock to the system after ten days onboard the Mozart!!!! Fortunately, once onboard the A380 is was back to 'normal'...:)

Anne...

Shirin,

It was a pleasure sailing with you and Glen. Let's do it again somewhere in the world!

My flight home was OK. Had an Austrian flight in business from Vienna to Frankfurt. I've heard good things about Austrian on their international flights, but this does not apply to their domestic (Schengen) flights. The club in Vienna isn't anything to write about, the food (why on an hour flight??) was awful and the flight attendants were surly!! Much better when I got on the United from Frankfurt to Houston. The new Polaris service is good and I'd say better than the Lufthansa A380 I used flying to Frankfurt. Food was maybe a little better and the new blankets, pillows, etc. are way above. After the United incident a few weeks ago, the flight attendants were on their best behavior!! ;p

Now, Emirates in first class....... :cool:

For all reading this, I can say as far as the Crystal Mozart goes, DO IT!!!!! You won't be disappointed.

Patty

Welcome home Patty..glorious weather here this morning.

So glad you had a marvelous time on the Mozart!

Happy that the new Polaris experience on your United flight was good! Will be using it domestically this year and most likely on an international flight next year.

Keep in touch

Nancy

Thank you everyone for your kind comments and for following along. I'm glad that I was able to provide any useful information for all you lucky people with upcoming cruises on the Mozart.

Patty - it was so nice to meet you! I too hope our cruising paths cross again very shortly! Sorry to hear about Austrian airlines and happy that you got home safely.

We had a good experience on Emirates but regardless of what class you travel there comes a point where you just want to be home already!

I will do a summary of our experience in the next couple of days and provide details I didn't on the thread regarding such things as internet, gym, service and other amenities compared to Crystal ocean ships etc. In the meantime if you are thinking of doing a river cruise don't hesitate for a minute and book the Mozart - it really is a great experience in every way.

I am on the Mahler in November (cross my fingers!), I notice that on some days, you can conceivably sign up for 2 excursions (morning & afternoon). Did you happen to do that on your cruise? Did you find it too rushed and would it be better to keep to one excursion/day?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am on the Mahler in November (cross my fingers!), I notice that on some days, you can conceivably sign up for 2 excursions (morning & afternoon). Did you happen to do that on your cruise? Did you find it too rushed and would it be better to keep to one excursion/day?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I actually did 3 tours one day - the morning and the evening were included tours and the afternoon one was an extra charge tour. Also did 2 tours on 2 days and one day had an all day (8 hour) tour. I'm an "old", out of shape woman and I don't think it was too much. Only you know your own stamina.

Patty

Exactly as Patty said. On the first full day onboard we actually did 3 excursions. A museum and treasury tour in the morning then a hike through the vineyards in the afternoon and in the evening the Belvedere Palace concert - I think I racked up about 20,000 steps! Still manageable though I probably wouldn't want to be doing that 2 days in a row but certainly 2 excursions a day should be fine

Exactly as Patty said. On the first full day onboard we actually did 3 excursions. A museum and treasury tour in the morning then a hike through the vineyards in the afternoon and in the evening the Belvedere Palace concert - I think I racked up about 20,000 steps! Still manageable though I probably wouldn't want to be doing that 2 days in a row but certainly 2 excursions a day should be fine

I am mulling about doing the exact same combination of the three excursions you mentioned on the first full day in Vienna (great minds!) and part of me is saying rest/sun-bathe in the afternoon.

What was the hike through the vineyards in the afternoon like? Did you get to stop in a Heurigen for some wine tasting or was the focus more on the hike?

• 1 month later...

Good morning:).....what a wonderful review. I took my first River Cruise last year on AMA and am looking for a cruise for

my 60th birthday (March 2018).......this cruise goes in April and now I am having to make more decisions;).....I was

thinking of AMA again or Uniworld but now I have to put Crystal in the running.

When you posted the picture of the Archway (Sound of Music)......well, oh my:D.........I love that movie too.

Everything (your photos) looks fantastic:D

I am mulling about doing the exact same combination of the three excursions you mentioned on the first full day in Vienna (great minds!) and part of me is saying rest/sun-bathe in the afternoon.

What was the hike through the vineyards in the afternoon like? Did you get to stop in a Heurigen for some wine tasting or was the focus more on the hike?

Hi JohnKen3, Apologies for the delayed response. The hike was good but we had really bad weather - drizzling throughout, misty and pretty cold. I can imagine that on a nice day it would be even better. We did stop at the end of the hike at a heuriger for some wine, they also presented each person with a large platter of cold cuts and pretzels which was unexpected. We probably spent a good half hour in the heuriger so it was a nice amount of time. A silly bit of trivia but at the end of the tour, just as we left the heuriger, we saw a car drive past with the licence plate "Joel". Apparently Billy Joel's father lives in the same small village!

Good morning:).....what a wonderful review. I took my first River Cruise last year on AMA and am looking for a cruise for

my 60th birthday (March 2018).......this cruise goes in April and now I am having to make more decisions;).....I was

thinking of AMA again or Uniworld but now I have to put Crystal in the running.

When you posted the picture of the Archway (Sound of Music)......well, oh my:D.........I love that movie too.

Everything (your photos) looks fantastic:D

Lois, thanks for your kind comments! I can't recommend the Mozart highly enough. It really was a wonderful trip and the ship itself is so beautifully appointed and enhanced by great service, entertainment and food that was beyond good. We saw many other river ships on this journey and walked through a couple of them when we were rafted - and quite simply none of them came even close to the Mozart in terms of decor. I think the fact that Crystal is the only river cruise that hires and trains all it's own staff (every other operator uses contractors) speaks volumes and is an indication of Crystal's focus on passengers having the best possible experience in every aspect. Regardless of who you choose to cruise with I hope you have a great time!