Live - Crystal Mozart Danube Cruise April 12 -22

ClefsDor

WirralGirlie, I asked about the e-bikes and if there is no e-bike excursion you canstill take the bike out on your own. You just need to contact the fitnessinstructor beforehand and she will organise it all for you.

Inrelation to which side of the boat is by the dock, so far it has been asfollows: Vienna – odd number rooms facing dock; Durnstein – even number roomsfacing dock; Melk – odd number rooms facing dock. This may of course change foreach cruise but I will add this information for each port going forward.Another reason I am happy we chose this time of year is that the rivers are fairlyquite. There has only been a maximum of 2 other river boats so far in any ofthe ports and no rafting.

Yesterdaywe were in Durnstein and Melk, and in between the two ports (from about 12.00 –4.30) we sailed the Wachau Valley. Durnstein is a lovely small town with awonderful Baroque church. I did the walking city tour and my husband did ane-bike excursion, which he really enjoyed. We sat on the top deck when wereturned to view the beautiful Wacchua valley float by – such beautiful scenery.

Weate lunch in Waterside (lunch time openings are normally 12.00-1.30). They havea pasta station every day and I had the most fantastic linguine vongole – a dishwhich is hard to get right even on land let alone a ship, and this was probablyone of the best I’ve had.

InMelk we did the tour of the Abbey and really enjoyed it – I only wish we hadmore time in the actual church and less time in the museum leading up to it. Onebonus was that being the last tour group of the day we were lucky enough to beable to hear the choir practicing for the Good Friday evening mass. The Abbeyhas to be one of the most ornate and beautiful churches I have ever seen andhearing the choir and the organ was very special. If you’re in Melk it’sdefinitely worth a visit.

Thebistro was open for dinner last night as well as Waterside. The Bistro didn’tlook too busy and I must say for it to appeal to me for dinner they would needto add perhaps some tablecloths or some table lighting to make it feel like Iwasn’t eating in the daytime café. After dinner we were too tired for a drinkin the Cove se we went to bed and watched a movie – fantastic selection on theTV and a very good size screen – I can see myself being tempted to do thisagain after a big day of sightseeing. Forgot to mention that I had a wash and blow dry in the salon yesterdayand very happy with the facilities and the salon staff.

Nancy,

You are going to laugh but I thought Shirin was a man!!! Surprised when I realized who they were that he's a she. I have no idea why I thought what I thought!! Anyway, yes we have met and I sat behind Shirin and Glen on the bus to and from Salzburg today.

Every thing continues to be great.

Patty

Thanks Nancy and as Patty mentioned we have indeed met. Thought I would post some pictures of the Wachau, Melk Abbey and an example of today's activity sheet.

6b5ebf238a1aa2e8240d8cb37dde69ad.jpg

49dc5b6b44e0b65c87b2a222139d2afa.jpg

d55fe9fb34facebc037fb49c7d8b0cdf.jpg

005985cb51e34e1d7d3df52a40c921c7.jpg

And a view from the windows of the Crystal Cove whilst we were enjoying pre dinner drinks

0f2ea05a37b426631ee7160bd867f663.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shirin,

Thank you so much for your answers to my questions.

I have another for you, if you have time could you possibly check spa treatments and prices for me please.

Everything looks absolutely wonderful and we can't wait for our turn in August.

Looking forward to hearing more from you in the coming days.

Kim

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Forums mobile app

Nancy,

You are going to laugh but I thought Shirin was a man!!! Surprised when I realized who they were that he's a she. I have no idea why I thought what I thought!! Anyway, yes we have met and I sat behind Shirin and Glen on the bus to and from Salzburg today.

Every thing continues to be great.

Patty

Patty, (Shirin too)

I am laughing out loud as I write this!!!!! You're so lucky to be out of the Houston heat and humidity..summer is now here!!! Ok, it was quite pleasant around 7 when I walked you know who, just short lived!!! So glad you all have met. Glad you all are having a great time and loving the live thread.

Shirin...loving all the photos and activity sheets...feel like I'm there...In spirit!!! :)

Hugs to Mark!!!

Happy Easter.

Nancy

Yesterday we were docked in Linz (odd number rooms facing the dock). There were quite a few excursions on offer and we decided to do the full day tour to Salzburg. Being a Sound of Music fan I couldn’t resist! As it turned out Salzburg was incredibly crowded this Easter Saturday, even our tour guide said she had rarely seen it so busy. Unfortunately the only House of Music related part of the day was the Mirabelle gardens and our tour guide didn’t have too much to share that was film related, but nonetheless Salzburg is a very pretty town. We had quite a bit of free time there, probably more than I needed and in hindsight part of me wishes we had done the Cesky Krumlov tour but I guess that just means that we’ll have to return. We got back to the Mozart at around 5.40pm. Just enough time for a rest, quick shower and change before the evening entertainment started at 6.30. There was a group of local young men doing traditional Austrian singing and dancing and they we’re really great. A very energetic performance with a little audience participation, which made for great fun. I found out just before dinner that it was lobster night at the Waterisde and I’m wondering if that is to be the official celebration for Easter? It seems a bit strange to have this on the Saturday night and not on Easter Sunday but maybe they are planning something else for tomorrow – I’ll let you know. Dinner was fantastic. The lobster offerings included lobster bisque as well as poached lobster on seasonal vegetables with mushroom risotto and a hollandaise sauce served on the side. It was just fabulous. After dinner Mark hosted an Easter “disco” in the Palm Court which was well attended and we hit the sack at around 11.00. Tomorrow is Easter Sunday and we’ll be doing an overnight in Passau – our first stop in Germany.

Mirabelle Gardens

b6a910c944a1499e3c018996a161abf0.jpg

Mozart's birthplace

d190b1fb94ed11312dd50b1b52ea04bd.jpg

Lobster dinner at Waterside

464620bfe143b1a48e1a25423ffbabd0.jpg

Easter Sunday was spent in Passau (even number rooms facing the dock). We went on the walking tour of the city, which was supposed to include a stop at St Stephen’s cathedral to listen to an organ recital but being Easter Sunday this unfortunately wasn’t possible. The town was very quiet which made it easy to walk around and enjoy all the vantage points.

Back on board we had lunch at Waterside where the carvery section highlight was a fantastic stuffed pork roast with crunchy crackling. It was really delicious.

e1afdc4d0444bfa4283824ac8c1a29e6.jpg

We had good intentions of going back into Passau in the afternoon but the weather turned gloomy and we had a cheeky afternoon nap instead. It turned out to be a very indulgent afternoon as we also booked in for a foot massage and again the therapist was very good and the treatment rooms much larger than I would have imagined. Interestingly enough the spa and saunas on board are actually larger than their equivalent on the ocean ships. Spa menu and rates:

78e00893b3583797792e7c1c20ff6f25.jpg

fd2681a41d57b479f904686eeb52bc15.jpg

The entertainment in the evening was a real treat. Crystal had flown in a virtuoso pianist and lead tenor from La Scala in Milan and they did two amazing performances one before dinner and one after dinner. I must say this is one area where Crystal really excels and whilst it is a common practice for them to fly entertainers in for their ocean voyages I wasn’t expecting this luxury on a river cruise and I’m not sure this is something that any other river cruise line does.

Dinner at the Waterside was another sensational meal with a festive Easter touch. Menus posted below. I must say that the food on board has really blown us, and everyone else we have spoken to, away. It far surpasses the food on the ocean ships and that’s really saying something. Not that the food on the ships is bad, not by any stretch, but obviously catering for a smaller crowd and being able to get fresh local produce daily means that amazing things can be achieved on board with the right chef.

09e3ff5a0e68d527cc8c00782a73cc86.jpg

3be8cf28d72b4617ac8fa3b877ef9280.jpg

Easter decorations in the dining room

6044b7ac9051b477b18933ff14f229aa.jpg

dc77dad52623d6d8065b4fb9b50baa60.jpg

Easter dinner - local Crayfish Appetiser

a8136cb73fbd6dafc32df4da25dfd97d.jpg

Roast lamb with goats cheese ravioli

d4701569345d4efe7049c5d1af16a6b9.jpg

Carrot cake with carrot and ginger ice cream

f53c1dae1a2560aac98e64ba494c6c4c.jpg

Shirin,

Wow, wow, wow...all sounds so amazing. As you know I'm a frequent Crystal cruise sailor, haven't been on any other lux line to date!!! The Mozart river experience sounds phenomenal regarding the food and entertainment. Yes, it is a different experience and the pax load is just a wee bit smaller!!! :D Based on my research, sounds like Crystal is a class above the rest!!!

Can't wait to tell my hubby about the tenor and virtuoso pianist...we are big opera fans, hubby more so than I!!!

enjoy.

Nancy

Thank you so much for doing this review! I thought that Uniworld spoiled us on our Castles of the Rhine cruise, but this is as good if not even better in many ways! I love seeing the menus and food and the ship is lovely! The next river cruise we want to do is Danube, so now, I'm thinking I might choose Crystal!

Nancy, Miles and anyone else reading this, I agee with everything Shirin has posted. Very impressed with the Mozart.

Patty

Patty,

Really appreciate your feedback...keep on having a great time.

Nancy

Nancy, Miles and anyone else reading this, I agee with everything Shirin has posted. Very impressed with the Mozart.

Patty

Good to hear Patty, I'm pleased you are enjoying the Mozart so much. I was impressed too when I was onboard in September last year, even though they were still working through a few 'teething' problems back then...

Anne...

The entertainment in the evening was a real treat. Crystal had flown in a virtuoso pianist and lead tenor from La Scala in Milan and they did two amazing performances one before dinner and one after dinner. I must say this is one area where Crystal really excels and whilst it is a common practice for them to fly entertainers in for their ocean voyages I wasn’t expecting this luxury on a river cruise and I’m not sure this is something that any other river cruise line does.

I think Mark may have been joshing with the audience.

The couple is likely to be the same as we had last year. Did the pianist have hair down to her waist? If so, his accent is very Welsh. They both live in Germany now, within travelling range of Passau. They use to perform at La Scala. They do perform at overtime the Mozart stops at Passau.

Also, the Austrian gruner veltliner is now served as a complimentary on the Symphony as well too. Only learnt to appreciate this while on the Mozart last year. Most other passengers just turned their noses up at this.

Also, the Austrian gruner veltliner is now served as a complimentary on the Symphony as well too. Only learnt to appreciate this while on the Mozart last year. Most other passengers just turned their noses up at this.

Good to know! I'll be on the Symphony soon.

Edited by Gourmet Gal
punctuation

Thankseveryone for your comments. Johnken3, it sounds like the same performers.

Monday was also spent in Passau, or I should saythe morning was spent in Passau as we set sail for Bratislava at 1.00pm. Theweather was cold and rainy so I decided against the nature walk and went to thefirst paid excursion that we have done so far which was a brewery tour and beertasting. I was slightly underwhelmed as the tour seemed quite rushed and at 69euro per person not great value. On our return we had lunch at Blue – a CobbSalad for me and a flat bread with mozzarella, tomato and prosciutto for myhusband.

The afternoon saw the first round of Trivia which our team won. There are 2 more rounds to come so hopefully our winning streak willcontinue.

In the evening we had theCrystal Society reception which was in fact open to everyone and they did alovely caviar canapé to accompany the champagne. There were a few people onboard celebrating milestones which is always nice to see.

Another wonderful dinnerat Waterside the highlights this time were the escargot, house made linguinewith pesto and the oh so tender beef tenderloin with morel sauce. Dessert was afabulous Grand Marnier soufflé with vanilla sauce and a lovely extra splash of GrandMarnier. I was glad I managed to walk for a few kilometres on the treadmill inthe morning in an effort to work off some of the food! We didn’t have theenergy to while away the evening in the Cove and headed straight for bed. Can’tbelieve we’re already half way through the cruise!

Thank you for taking the time to post your detailed blog. I didn't notice anyone mention this -- are those gardens planted on the top deck? Very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They are herb gardens from which the chef's pick fresh herbs. They are also a lovely addition to the Sun Deck! I'm glad to see the gardens are thriving, we were on board last July and they were just starting to come along.