Tropicana Cabaret

epc3099

You can make reservations online on their site:

http://www.cabaret-tropicana.com/index.php?p=main&lang=es

Another alternative might be the Tradicionales de los 1950s music show (kind of Buena Vista Social Club, but not the famous singers), which is 30 CUC pp(including 3 drinks), located 2 blocks behind the Saratoga Hotel (where tickets are sold for the cigar factory, and located across from the Capitolio building).

http://tradicionalesdelos50musicacubana.com/

Or the Fabrica de Arte

http://www.fac.cu/

which has music at night and art during the day.

Or look on www,lahabana.com for the schedule of performances for the month you will be there.

You're not limited to just that one show aimed specifically at tourists, not by a long shot.

Tradicionales was a bit disappointing. They also sell dinner and the seats that can actually see the stage are reserved for dinner guests. We arrived early and got what was literally the best non-dinner table. Our view was obstructed by a large pillar. The music was good, however, and the person singling lead uses a wireless mic and typically makes a circuit through the crowd. Wasn't real fond the of the Swiss tourist that sat next to us and smoked a really nasty cigar but I guess that's a personal problem.

Try the show at the hotel National also. just did it without food.. very Vegas type but less than other shows.

Less Vegas?

Or less money?

Tradicioanales de los 1950s is 30 CUC (with 3 drinks). Other music events can be 10 CUC entry. Some bars do not charge any cover for live music. Cheaper than that?

I had been thinking of trying to get Tropicana tickets on my own when we recently cruised to Cuba. In fact, I discussed the pros and cons of doing this with a couple at our dinner table the first night of our cruise as I wanted to wait until we were on the cruise to decide. I was sure we'd save money doing so. However, my husband has a bit of a mobility issue getting around and wanted me to just book the excursion through the ship to have as seemless a transfer as possible. At dinner on the day we finally signed up for the ship's excursion (one day before the show), the couple at our table told us that there had been someone selling tickets to the Tropicana outside the ship's terminal . Prices were ran from $70 pp to $90 pp, depending upon seat location. (A good amount less than what our ship charged.) Unfortunately, it was too late for us to buy that way. Also our dining companions weren't sure whether transportation was included or not and ended up also booking through the ship.

Try the show at the hotel National also. just did it without food.. very Vegas type but less than other shows.

Robin,

We will be sailing on Empress to Cuba in October and would love to see the show at Cabaret Parisien in Hotel Nacionale. Did you book the show in advance when you went to the show or did you just take a taxi to the Hotel? What is the charge to see the show?

I have read that the dress is "formal." What does that mean for this show? I know what formal means on cruise ship but Cuba is reported to be very casual so confused as to how they define formal.

We have sailed with you on Celebrity and you shared great tour information with us. See you are no longer in FL and cruising more. Good for you, glad you are enjoying life to the fullest.

Grace

I believe the show is $40 with drinks (no dinner).

"Formal" probably means no raggedy shorts and T-shirts.

October may still be extremely hot and humid outside, so dress with that in mind; you have to get there and back to the ship comfortably. If you look at some videos of the show on YouTube, you can see what patrons are wearing.

I suggest for the more adventurous among you, there is better Cuban music at various venues around town, and also dance. Take a look at the What's ON section of www.lahabana.com closer to your dates to see their very complete monthly schedule.

It is not difficult finding a taxi to any venue (the pier sits on a busy and main road with lots of taxis--just walk to the curb and raise a finger), and taxis are waiting at most venues to take you back.

I believe the show is $40 with drinks (no dinner).

"Formal" probably means no raggedy shorts and T-shirts.

October may still be extremely hot and humid outside, so dress with that in mind; you have to get there and back to the ship comfortably. If you look at some videos of the show on YouTube, you can see what patrons are wearing.

I suggest for the more adventurous among you, there is better Cuban music at various venues around town, and also dance. Take a look at the What's ON section of www.lahabana.com closer to your dates to see their very complete monthly schedule.

It is not difficult finding a taxi to any venue (the pier sits on a busy and main road with lots of taxis--just walk to the curb and raise a finger), and taxis are waiting at most venues to take you back.

When I previously checked out lahabana.com on your suggestion I did not see what we are searching for. We really would like to go to Hotel Nacional De Cuba to the show at Cabaret Parisien and possibly have dinner at the Hotel. We are NOT interested in the Tropicana Cabaret show. Would not enjoy sitting outdoors with the bugs at night. Just wish there was some way to determine what Cabaret Parisien means by "formal dress is required."

Would call the Hotel Nacional De Cuba if I thought someone in reservations spoke English. Unfortunately living and working in Miami for years, I never learned to speak Spanish. Shame on me.

Sorry your research was not quite thorough enough.

Here is the page for the Parisie'n show from www. lahabana.com:

http://www.lahabana.com/guide/parisien-cabaret/

35 CUC per person (according to the site)

As I said, if you go to the YouTube site and type "parisien show Havana" into the search box, you can see various videos of the show itself, but also people in the audience and their attire.

As I also said, you still have to get there from the ship, not all transportation has air conditioning, and therefore personally I would not want to be wearing very heavy formal clothing (jacket and tie) in 85-90 degree F heat and humidity.

There is a saying in Cuba that helps with expectations there, particularly since often things are not, or do not go, the way someone from the developed world expects: "Es Cuba." Without understanding the meaning of that phrase quite well, a visitor could have an unhappy trip.

• 2 weeks later...
Less Vegas?

Or less money?

Tradicioanales de los 1950s is 30 CUC (with 3 drinks). Other music events can be 10 CUC entry. Some bars do not charge any cover for live music. Cheaper than that?

less money. was 38 CDC's.

less money. was 38 CDC's.

What's CDC?

CDC Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

CDC Community Development Corporation

CDC Career Development Center

CDC Cell Division Cycle

CDC Connected Device Configuration

CDC Climate Diagnostics Center

CDC Control Data Corporation

CDC Child Development Center

CDC Cell Division Control

CDC Crop Development Centre

CDC Cul De Canard

CDC Career Development Course

CDC Citizens Democracy Corps

CDC Communication Daughter Card

CDC Community Development Center

CDC Core Data Center

CDC California Democratic Council

CDC Convergencia Democrática de Catalunya

CDC Clothing Distribution Center

CDC Christian Defense Coalition

CDC Certified Development Corporation

CDC Century Date Change

CDC Citizens Development Corps

CDC Cotswold District Council

CDC Carey Diversified, L. L. C.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Question for those that have seen the cabaret shows - are they appropriate for a 12 year old? Our son will be with us - and the ship excursions to the cabaret's say 13 or older - but are they really that risque??

TIA

Question for those that have seen the cabaret shows - are they appropriate for a 12 year old? Our son will be with us - and the ship excursions to the cabaret's say 13 or older - but are they really that risque??

TIA

You can see the shows and costumes in many videos on YouTube.

Depends on whether your kid is used to seeing women's naked butts being whisked and wiggled about.

Why not take him to something more authentic and less titillating?

You can see the shows and costumes in many videos on YouTube.

Depends on whether your kid is used to seeing women's naked butts being whisked and wiggled about.

Why not take him to something more authentic and less titillating?

Yes after reading more - I think more authentic would be way better! Will be looking for that!

You might look at the Tradicionales de los 1950s music show.

There is music daily/nightly at many of the restaurants along Calle Obispo.

There is rumba on Sunday afternoon at Callejon de Hamel.

There is music and art at Fabrica do Arte nightclub (age for entry?) or Casa de Musica in Miramar.

Check www.lahabana.com just before leaving for a schedule of music, dance and art events for the month you will be there.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Does anyone know how easy it is to get a taxi from the Tropicana Cabaret back to the cruise ports?

We found the price of the cruise excursion is double buying tickets online and you get less through the cruise.

You can make reservations online on their site:

http://www.cabaret-tropicana.com/index.php?p=main&lang=es

I'm trying to get on the tropicana's website and I keep getting the "this site can't be reached" message. Is anyone else having this problem? I've got the tropicana booked through NCL but after reading a review of how the nightclub excursions seem to have been handled on the first cruise, I think I'd like to cancel it and just go on our own, especially since it's probably lots cheaper and less restrictive. The couple went on their own to the Cabaret Parisien and they talked to a couple who did the excursion-they had to be on the bus at 7:30 and it took forever to even start heading to the hotel, then they were forced to remain with the group once at the show. Also according to the reviewer, there was opportunity after the show for dancing and cocktails, but the excursion people were not allowed to just stay and take a cab back to the ship.

I know this is second hand info, and the reviewer went to Cabaret Parisien, not Tropicana, but if anyone has better info that would be great. Sounds like a cab would make more sense since we could leave for the show later and not be stuck in the excursion cattle call, and we could stay as long as we like. And if you've been to both shows, which would you recommend? Thanks!! :D

Checked that one. It works, but I think it's run by a 3rd party tour operator-hovering over links points to a website called hav...anatur dot com.

looks like you are right

the other sites ...the links are dead

so maybe you will have to wait until you arrive or book through the 3rd party site or cruise line

I used the email link on the website and got a response about 2 days later. They said I had a reservation now and that I can pay at the Tourist Desk when I get there. So, go for it! Wasn't a problem emailing them in English.

Linda R.

...who lives in Miami too and doesn't speak Spanish, lol!

Would call the Hotel Nacional De Cuba if I thought someone in reservations spoke English. Unfortunately living and working in Miami for years, I never learned to speak Spanish. Shame on me.

Tried the official Tropicana website again and it looks like it's working. They take online bookings, and it looks like they take credit cards for the online bookings, but how is that possible? I thought they couldn't take American credit cards. I went through and did a mock booking (not using my real info) and the page never does show that it's a secure site, even when it gets to the page to enter your credit card info. It's probably an overseas site, since the time stamp on it was 6 hours ahead of me. Anyone have any experience with this?

Does anyone know how easy it is to get a taxi from the Tropicana Cabaret back to the cruise ports?

We found the price of the cruise excursion is double buying tickets online and you get less through the cruise.

We were at the Tropicana show last week and there were many taxi drivers there wanting to take us back to our condo.

Tried the official Tropicana website again and it looks like it's working. They take online bookings, and it looks like they take credit cards for the online bookings, but how is that possible? I thought they couldn't take American credit cards. I went through and did a mock booking (not using my real info) and the page never does show that it's a secure site, even when it gets to the page to enter your credit card info. It's probably an overseas site, since the time stamp on it was 6 hours ahead of me. Anyone have any experience with this?

We booked the Tropicana show through their website for our overnight stay on on May 2nd. They use a bank in Europe for their acceptance of cards. I had a bit if trouble with my bank that kept declining the transaction but after a quick call I tried it again and got approved. We paid as much as we could with cc to avoid issues with the currency conversion especially when converting USD to CUC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums