NCL BLISS - Alaska! No Glacier Bay

ps4125

Sorry, you are inaccurate. Simply ONLY the John Hopkins Glacier from the turn at the inlet -5 miles, is closed for the harbor seal sanctuary until Sept 1, . The Tar Inlet is open for ships to stall right in front of the Margerie and Grand Pacific. And most ships stall by the Lamplugh Glacier. Many people simply miss the Reid Glacier.

Even from 5 miles away, John Hopkins Glacier is quite the sight. It must be something else up closer after Sept 1.

We have done Alaska 4 times 2002, 2004, 2014, and 2016. All NCL 3 Glacier Bay (Sky, Star, Pearl) and one Jewel (2016). All have been spectacular. We prefer the Glacier Bay itinerary. We have been on the starboard side each trip. The biggest differences we have noticed came with the cabins we were in. Our first cruise was a balcony, the rest have been in mini-suites, and suites. On the 2016 cruise we were invited to view the glaciers with the Haven passengers from the very top of the ship at a private party with food and drinks supplied by NCL. That was pretty fun. The best view of the glaciers came in 2014 Glacier Bay because we were in an owners suite at the very front of the ship on deck 10 right under the bridge. The view from there was incredible We had the butler bring breakfast to the room and spent the whole time in Glacier Bay out on the deck. It helped that the weather was the best of the season (according to the captain). I agree that Alaska needs to be done more than once.

IMO Princess does the best in Alaska. I sailed to Glacier Bay and it was great to be so close to see the glaciers.

We specifically sailed Princess earlier this month to do Alaska, which included Glacier Bay. And they really do an excellent job at it (and their lodges on land are rather nice).

• 7 months later...
We are going to Alaska on the Bliss in early June next year (the itinerary states we will be in Juneau on June 5 and then cruise Sawyer Glacier after leaving Juneau in the afternoon). Since that date too is so early in the season I am wondering if we will be able to get into Tracy Arm. We shall see.

Thanks for the great videos, Laszlo. We have already been to Glacier Bay, so regardless of which glacier we end up seeing next year (Sawyer or Endicott as the alternative if it is still too icy to get into Tracy Arm) we are excited that either one will be something new for us! The scenery is going to be spectacular regardless! :)

\

Can you tell me how long from Juneau to Sawyer Glacier, we are on that same Bliss itinerary only in July. It will be on our 25th anniversary and would like to do a specialty dining on that night as well, but don't want to miss the views for the glacier....trying to plan times! Thanks!

HI, I live in Alaska and have seen more glaciers than you can shake a stick at. :D

I have done Alaska cruises with and without Glacier Bay and wholeheartedly suggest you make GB a priority.

last year we sailed south from Alaska to Vancouver on Princess, stayed a few days and then sailed back north to Alaska on NCL. Same itinerary but in reverse) We had a good time on both (both went to Glacier Bay). However, I would recommend Princess over NCL for an Alaska cruise. Princess had Alaska-themed meal nights, Alaska-themed entertainment, a naturalist onboard to narrate points of interest, staff and crew in Alaska-themed outfits (lumberjacks, woodsmen, saloon girls, etc.) The ship was decorated with lots of Alaska-themed artwork. We had Libbey Riddles (first woman to win the Iditarod) onboard as a speaker and in one port they brought sled dog puppies onboard for passengers to interact with.

In a review I did back then I summarized by saying NCL cruised to Alaska and Princess provided an Alaskan cruise.

You'll have a good time either way but you've been advised. ;)

~Brian

\

Can you tell me how long from Juneau to Sawyer Glacier, we are on that same Bliss itinerary only in July. It will be on our 25th anniversary and would like to do a specialty dining on that night as well, but don't want to miss the views for the glacier....trying to plan times! Thanks!

I don't know the answer to that as we have never been to Sawyer Glacier. I am assuming it will take several hours to complete as we have booked the "Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer" excursion through the ship which is 5 hours long and starts at 1:30 when the Bliss is scheduled to leave Juneau. The excursion boat will drop us off back at the Bliss somewhere in or near the fjord. So with a 5 hour excursion we will still be somewhere in or near the fjord around 6:30. So my recommendation would be to not book dinner reservations until at least 7:00 or 8:00.

Happy upcoming 25th anniversary! Enjoy your cruise!

I will be posting a review with plenty of information and photos when I return so will have more information for you then prior to your cruise.

\

The glacier watching finishes around 6 pm. Book dinner at 7 pm or later. We stayed on our our balcony from the time we left Juneau until it got dark. There is a lot to see as you sail into the glacier. Bundle up, it will be cold.

Thank you Seahawk and Bird that is very helpful! I look forward to hearing about your cruise!

Bring a pair of binoculars (small ones better). Sit outside every day when transiting near land (i.e., not first day or last day heading back to victoria). Watch the whales and sea life. It is magical!

Looking at the NCL schedule of sailings in Alaska 2019 it will be an instant replay of the 2018 season.

Same three ships - the BLISS and the PEARL doing the closed loop trips out of Seattle and the JEWEL

doing the full enchilada from Vancouver to Anchorage and the reverse. For the most part all 7 day cruises.

All of the ships see at least one or more Glaciers - ah er rain shine fog whatever is on Mother Natures agenda.

• 1 month later...

If you want to really see Alaska, get off the boat and get on an excursion! We went kayaking in Ketchikan and saw Orcas in the bay with us! Amazing! Glacier bay wasn’t as exciting as going out and being on Mendenhall glacier.

The coral princess is a Panamax ship, so they can get a little closer to the glaciers. It’s a solid ship, but it’s an older ship and doesn’t have as many amenities so it’s something to consider if you are going to Alaska primarily for the destination. Princess does a great job in Alaska, but it depends on what you’re looking for.

The excursions are expensive and the ports are small, so alaska is a great place for independent excursions. I have the details for ours in my signature line review.