Do you wear your real wedding rings on cruise trips?

bostongal123

I recently went to Mexico and when we went into port I left my rings in my room safe. I worried more about them falling off on an excursion/swimming, than being robbed, although that did cross my mind. Better safe than sorry. Aside from my wedding rings and my great grandmother's engagement ring, I didn't bring any other fine jewelry. Just costume stuff. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why would you think she/he was sad?

The people I know that are divorced are thrilled to be divorced. Lol

I'm a she and was thrilled to shed that ring for good...and I did celebrate with a cruise! I can buy my own jewelry.;)

Why would you think she/he was sad?

The people I know that are divorced are thrilled to be divorced. Lol

I'm a she and was thrilled to shed that ring for good...and I did celebrate with a cruise! I can buy my own jewelry.;)

I suppose it depends on the reasons but you would hope that they were happier.

Your married, wear it all the time. If I get held up while on shore the ring is going to be the least of my worries. My life is worth a whole lot more and a thief who would steal your ring right off your finger would most likely do more if they thought the ring was a fake. I would be more worried about a purse, wallet, camera, backpack, etc., snatch and run, they are gone! 3 seconds!

Your married, wear it all the time. If I get held up while on shore the ring is going to be the least of my worries. My life is worth a whole lot more and a thief who would steal your ring right off your finger would most likely do more if they thought the ring was a fake. I would be more worried about a purse, wallet, camera, backpack, etc., snatch and run, they are gone! 3 seconds!

I disagree, if someone is robbing me for jewellery, that is a whole lot more confronting than being pickpocketed.

I leave mine on except if I am going swimming ashore. Then I leave them in a safe - but you need to remember to either put them in something or make it visible so you don't forget them. In a pinch I have clipped them with a peg!

I do a lot of crafts and messy hobbies and I work in education so my engagement ring is never on my finger at home...apart from special occasions.

In contrast, my plain,gold wedding band has never left my finger since my husband placed it there 7 years ago. I personally don't see the point in a blinged up one when you worry about it all the time and have to keep taking it off.

Can't you tell I am low maintenance ;)

As a married woman living in a major European city (and cruise stop), these types of threads give me a giggle. I always wonder what these people expect the natives to do... leave our fancy jewelry, handbags, sunglasses, etc. at home when we go out?

I still think that almost no one is talking about European ports.

Why do Europeans think it's about European ports?

Maybe for the same reason you think it isn't, it is what is relevant to the person.

It could be about any of the ports around the world, there are thieves and pickpockets everywhere and in any place.

I'm not a European, I just live like one, but the other year there was a thread on the same topic and someone told me I was naive to think that there weren't thieves in Norway (I was booked on a fjords cruise at the time). On that same cruise, someone actually asked me if I wasn't afraid to be wearing obviously real (antique) jewelery and carrying a Louis Vuitton handbag. So in my experience, it's been obvious that some people are referring to European ports.

I hope that answers your question.

Edited by ExpatBride

Well what ports are they talking about??

Indeed. ALL ports.

Twice now this thread has had "what does everything think Europeans do at home?" when this isn't a Crime in European Ports thread. It's a theft of jewelry on cruises anywhere in the world thread.

Twice now this thread has had "what does everything think Europeans do at home?" when this isn't a Crime in European Ports thread. It's a theft of jewelry on cruises anywhere in the world thread.

The same could apply to any region. I actually live in a cruise port city (that happens to be in Europe), so I answered from that perspective. However, my husband and have lived in many different places and never once, even outside of Europe, have I not worn whatever jewelry I wanted for fear of being robbed.

So remove Europe from the equation and you still get, "what do you think the locals do?" Living in the Caribbean, South America, or Asia doesn't mean that everyone is poor and that none of the locals have nice jewelry.

Edited by ExpatBride

I wear my wedding band (with diamonds) and my engagement ring no matter where I travel....BUT.... in order to get that ring off my finger, they'd have to cut it off. While it's not too tight to wear, it's almost impossible to get off my finger.

In addition, I just don't take good jewelry along. On vacation, I normally wear cute costume jewelry, funky necklaces, fun shell jewelry that I buy in ports, etc. I like the handicraft items you can purchase in the markets, so that's what I wear on vacation.

Why would you even bother to bring jewelry that you're afraid to lose? Just don't wear any jewelry at all, or wear something simple and inexpensive if you feel "naked" without. Who are you trying to impress, anyway?

Nobody cares what jewelry you're wearing (or not wearing), and, except for your own party, nobody knows what you usually wear.

Really, fellow passengers won't judge you for a lack of jewelry.

I have worn my wedding ring for 49 years and would not consider taking it off. I always wear it with a ring DH bought me for our silver anniversary, which is nicer than my engagement ring - we put our money into a house, not a fancy ring at that time.

Flashy jewellery does not appeal to me, I wear the same small gold earrings and pendent most days, at home or on holiday.

Ditto, I'm married 46 years, It's not the "blingy" rings that are worn today, its a very simple ring, doesn't look expensive. As well at this point I don't have the need or want to wear flashy jewlery

We actually have started leaving our rings at home. My hands swell too much in the tropics and I never end up wearing it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, this!! I thought I was the only one. When we go to humid places, I have my rings but don't wear them, just keep in the safe. I am still trying to figure out why my finger swells when it is humid :D

ML

No! I don't wear my real rings on any trip. I've got a plain silver wedding band I usually wear. I found a kinda blinged out set on Amazon for 8$. (My real set isn't gaudy, but it was kind of expensive at least to me & beautiful)I won't spend over 20$ on a fake ring. I spent 20$ on a real silver band, bc I'd planned to wear it for years traveling. It's also 1/2 a size bigger than my real wedding rings. I tend to swell when traveling, so it helps. It's not fancy, but I feel naked w/o some form of wedding band.

I also don't take any of my other valuable jewelry, not that I have much. A pair of simple hoops from Walmart & a couple inexpensive necklaces are about it when I travel. I'm not going to be upset if my 5$ strand of fake pearls gets lost or broken. I would be if my real pearls did.

My real wedding rings are insured, but they are irreplaceable in sentimental value to me.

Amazon has a ton of not so fake looking stuff & the jewelry case at Walmart has plain Bands.

Edited by LucyB.

I wear my wedding rings everywhere except Rio where the cruise ship officers recommend that you take off all jewelry (lest they be removed for you by someone that wants them). In Barcelona (one of the top picket pocketing countries in the world), I do not wear a good watch, try not to carry a handbag and, if we must carry a camera, we hold on to it with both hands. but do wear my wedding rings.

Before someone say that crime can happen anywhere in the world........ yes, this is true. However, there are reasons why these two cities (others as well) make the top 10 list.

I don't understand the problem. If you are afraid to wear your jewelry, why do you have it.

A cruise is an occasion to dress up and show off. Leave it in the safe when you go off the ship if that's appropriate.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

For me, my wedding set cost a grand total of $38 dollars. However, I don't see the point to take it if I'm literally going to take it off as soon as I get off the plane in a humid climate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums