Diamond Princess: food availiability and other petty questions

Odyssey_Driver

Good Afternoon,

This is my first post on Cruise Critic.

Extra brownie points for guessing what my username is in reference too; Don't overthink! ;)

I'd first like to thank everyone who does post here for all the helpful information they have provided. It was with this in mind that our family has booked our 3rd-ever (Doesn't that seem like and excessive thing to say?) cruise aboard the M/S Diamond Princess, from the 11th-25th of January 2018.

We were initially looking at an RCI cruise on Voyager/Explorer around those same dates, however after perusing these fora, Princess seemed like better value and suited us more!

I have found our Roll-Call, I have just not joined yet. :)

In the past we've had two cruises on P&O Australia, aboard the M/S Pacific Star, Carnival's original "Tropicale". So I'm thinking that the Diamond Princess will be a significant step up! We booked an Interior and an Ocean View previously, we're back to Interior again as that fits our budget.

One aspect of the two previous cruises aboard the Pacific Star that did not impress me was the availability of food - when food was out, it was was great. (At least to pre-teen me. We sailed a very long time ago.) But there was very little flexibility of food delivery - if you weren't in the buffet at Breakfast or lunchtime, that was it until dinner! And for dinner as I recall, only the MDR was included in your fare.

Now having browsed these fora, of course the variety aboard Diamond will be orders-of-magnitude greater I am sure. I have also read the Princess Document supplied as an attachment.

But I did want to clarify, more for my own assurance purposes, especially after reading reviews of experiences aboard Carnival and RCI, when, for example, the Buffet, Grill, or Pizza bar is open, will food be served at all hours that they are listed as open?

We have late traditional dining selected, and if we come back from a shore excursion after the ship-board luncheon in the buffet and MDR is finished, will there still be food around for the taking? I expect of course that during "transition periods" in the buffet, for example, there may be a lesser range being served as they set up the buffet for dinner between lunch.

On reviews of Carnival and RCI cruises, Cruise Critic members have mentioned that outside of "traditional meal hours" (My own phrase), food aboard is lacking in availability.

Of course unfortunately Diamond lacks an International Cafe, but what we have not experienced, we may not miss.

This is all moot of course as the cruise is booked and paid for, but I was just wondering.

The other petty questions I had to ask regarded the use of lounges during the day.

I'm the sort of person who likes to sometimes read a good book inside, rather than out in the sun - at least I'll leave more deck chairs for those sunning!

There will be the full width Promenade with loungers, one of the great features I've read about Diamond, but what about suing the bars on that deck to read inside.

Is it permitted to for example, during the day, sit in the Wheelhouse Bar and read a book? I'm sure they won't be serving drinks, but will the doors be open so people may circulate? I love the heavy woods/armchair environment. Or the Wakeview Bar, for the same purpose?

And for Skywalkers - can it be used during the day to read/people/sea/watch? I know that it will be closed some time before 5pm for the Suites dinner pre-drinks event, but what about before that time?

I'm sorry about the length, there is no TL;DR!

Thanks and Kind Regards,

Craig :)

dining-options.pdf

I also thought I'd ask, I read threads about people who request alterations to their meals in the the MDR, eg; exclude this, add an extra portion of that, could I please have this starter as a main, etc.

Are the wait staff still able to do this, given the nickle-and-diming nature of cruise lines these days? Some of those threads seemed a little old, so I thought I'd ask too!

On Princess ships, here's how the Horizon Court works, at least on the ships I've been on:

there's two sides (each with their own entrance). When switching from breakfast to lunch, etc., one side will close down while the items get switched while the other side remains open. Then when the first side is reopened, the second side gets the switch over. So from opening to closing (early morning to about 11pm), you can get food there.

Not completely sure how it works on ships w/o the International Cafe (which is always open 24/7)....before going on a ship with the IC, the Horizon Court was open 24/7.

From late morning to 11-ish at night, the poolside eateries are generally open.

The back page of the Patter will give operating hours for all the various venues, including shops, on the ship.

Cruisin' Chick explained how the Horizon Court works. However, from 3pm or 3.30, the lunch items are finished and only afternoon tea items are available. These include small bread-rolls with fillings, some of which you can have toasted, as well as cakes and scones. There is also the Grill overlooking the pool area. It serves pies/chips/kebabs/hamburgers made to order and is open long hours. All of these are at no charge.

There is no problem in the MDR in having an entree (appetizer) served as a main or vice versa. On formal night when lobster and beef Wellington are available, I usually order lobster as a starter and beef Wellington as a main. When I order barramundi I usually ask for chips with it. No problem whatsoever. Another 'special' I often order is eggs benedict at breakfast. It isn't always on the menu, but when I ask with a smile, I always get it. :)

I'll take the question about reading in the Wake View. It's one of my favorite places on the ship because it's usually deserted. (I can only fake being a People Person for so long). It's almost always available as a quiet place to read. Ironically, you can't actually see the wake from there in a seated position - the fenestration was changed before her maiden voyage over concerns from the marine architects.

The two exceptions will be if there's a private event in the space (infrequent, but it happens) or if something happening in Club Fusion is blocking access to the stairs. The access you see via the dining room is notional at best and intended for emergencies and wheelchair access.

I'd like to thank everyone for their responses to this thread.

Thanks also to Vibe Guy for the tip about the Wake View Bar access - I had seen pictures of the bar, and I did think it was a little odd with the windows being so high, and the chairs so low, but none-the-less it looks like my sort of place - few people, heavy wooded paneling, and arm chairs.

You've all been really helpful! Now just to play that waiting game until January 2018.

Thanks and Kind Regards,

Craig :)

Don't forget free Pizza. And room service.

One thing I'll pretty much guarantee you, you won't come home hungry.

Another tip, if there's something you fancy "Ask" it seemsmany people are afraid to ask.

Another, if you want a "real burger" grab a plate of salad from the Horizon Court then order your burger and top it up.

The burger grill normally only puts on a slice of tomato, a bit of onion and a lettuce leaf. Then there is a bar with sauces, and when in Australia they had beetroot .

From 11am to late evening pizza is available at Pregos and burgers, hot dogs, chicken, brats, fries are available at the Trident Grill. Both are on the Lido deck by the pool. There is 24/7 room service @ no charge (expect for full pizza pies) from the room service menu.

Buffet is open from around 6am to 11pm. Never closes during that time. Selections change throughout the day's cycles, but there is always something to eat there.

The other petty questions I had to ask regarded the use of lounges during the day.

I'm the sort of person who likes to sometimes read a good book inside, rather than out in the sun - at least I'll leave more deck chairs for those sunning!

There will be the full width Promenade with loungers, one of the great features I've read about Diamond, but what about suing the bars on that deck to read inside.

Is it permitted to for example, during the day, sit in the Wheelhouse Bar and read a book? I'm sure they won't be serving drinks, but will the doors be open so people may circulate? I love the heavy woods/armchair environment. Or the Wakeview Bar, for the same purpose?

And for Skywalkers - can it be used during the day to read/people/sea/watch? I know that it will be closed some time before 5pm for the Suites dinner pre-drinks event, but what about before that time?

I haven't been on Diamond yet but based on my experience on other Princess ships you should have no problems find a quiet spot to curl up with your book. On Golden they had seating by the windows outside the Explorers Bar and that was a popular spot for people to sit and read during the day. Also in Crooners.

Also you won't go hungry on Princess. There is ample food available and it's good.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Thanks!

Yeah, I was meaning when they weren't serving beverages - I've read some "Princess Patters" that show of course that not all bars serve drinks at all times.

But it is good to know that I'll be able to use them regardless of being open, or shut.

Thank you everyone. :)

I also should have asked, on Diamond, how does one get to the forward viewing platform above the bridge?

Looking at the deck plans, it appears that access is via the Lido Deck. Looking at photos of Diamond, access appears to be via the Sun Deck?

Can anyone shed some light on this?