Will Club Class be a bust?

chloe45

Value is a perception. As long as the company can sell the customers on the added values, they will have takers. Nowadays the least costly way for a company to add perceived value is through the "soft" products, i.e. better service, make the customers feel special, that types of things. Since these are perceived values, everyone of us will have a different take on it.

To be honest, will I book a Club Class mini? No. I'd just fork over additional money and get a full suite. Nothing beats being greeted by name every morning when you walk into Sabatini's. That may not mean much to some, but it certainly made us felt special, and snobby. :D

We always reward people who give us extra special treatment. When we gave our waiter in CC our envelope he said "thank you...but, extra tipping is not necessary, CC is meant to provide you with extra service"...

Some have referred to people who would pay extra for club class as "stupid". I prefer to consider myself as one happy camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Didn't you mean black?;)

Yes!... oops I'm 'colour blind'. :D:o:o

EDIT: And just to elaborate - not all people who purchase an AIBP or book Club Class are stupid... only the ones who won't get their money's worth. If you get your money's worth, they're 'smart' decisions.

Edited by Bill B

We absolutely loved club class on the Regal in January.One night at dinner my Dh did not fancy anything on the menu and asked for a steak, He was brought an enormous strip steak from the Crown Grill! No charge. Now that is service!

I have been looking at shorter cruises or inclusives for my school's March break and I found a 5 day on the Crown Princess that looked good. Here are the prices for two of us (don't ask me to remember where these rooms were specifically as I did some pricing last night):

$1698 premium balcony

$1758 mini suite

$1978 CC mini suite

So the difference between a premium balcony and a mini suite is only $60, or $30 PP. The difference between a mini-suite and a CC mini suite is $220, or $110 PP. Granted it is only for a 5 day cruise, but with the research I have done on Princess (have only cruised 3x and all on Disney) it sounds like it comes with good perks. It is roughly the same price as a spa room on a 4 night NCL Epic cruise (one less night and spa passes but no suite perks), and a little less than a 6 night superior ocean view balcony on freedom of the seas--one more night there, but fewer perks.

If we choose this cruise I will probably book the CC mini-suite.

We just completed on Monday a 15-day T/A on the Regal in Club Class. Some comments that may be helpful:

The extra cost for us for the upgrade to M1 was $100 PP. It was therefore easily worth it to us. We might go another $100 if we had to do it again, but more than that, probably not.

The cabin (A426) was midship and very well positioned. Two wine bottles, half-sized, greeted us. Canapés every night, no more than 6, each the size of a quarter. Kinda boring after awhile. We have a great bed at home, so the so called superior bedding was not evident to us. The towels were rough and thin and small and no better than found in an inside cabin. Elite laundry was free but there was a disclaimer that it would take 3 days to return. We used it once and it took 2 days. Because we have elite status, any other perks of CC we would have had anyway.

We usually dined around 7:30 in the CC portion of the Concerto MDR on deck 6. We always opted for the same table with the same wait staff, but more than likely could have done that too without CC. At the time we had dinner, the CC area seemed no more than half-utilized, sometimes even less. The menu is the same as in the MDR with an added specialty each night by a chef in uniform working on the side. Most of the time, if we didn't inquire what the special was, we weren't told. I ordered short ribs one night and half-way through learned that the special was lobster thermidore, one of my favorites. Disappointing.

We never used CC dining for either breakfast or lunch.

Some other thoughts: Alfredo's is very good and was usually empty. Sabatini's and Crown Grill were always busy, mainly because of the free specialty dining promotion Princess had been offering. Very clever marketing, because unlike specialty restaurants on other Princess cruises which are usually underutilized, now they seemed popular and appealing, even though people are dining there for free.

We thought the Horizon Court layout vastly superior to that found on the older Princess ships. The Horizon Bistro, more compact with fewer choices was also very good. Seating up there was ample, never a problem for us.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

We absolutely loved club class on the Regal in January.One night at dinner my Dh did not fancy anything on the menu and asked for a steak, He was brought an enormous strip steak from the Crown Grill! No charge. Now that is service!

You didn't have to be a CC participant to do that. If you chum up to the head waiter, they'll do that for anybody. I had a steak in the Crown Grill smothered in lobster tails. Not on the menu. That's what cruise lines do.

Happy for all who can afford these extra perks. I will be priced out of cruising, We will eventually have to pay extra to eat ...have a blanket... a pillow. Want AC guess what... extra!!!

Think I am kidding .......look back a few years! Remember lobster and steak in the MDR....Crab legs ,shrimp in the buffett? As long as you pay extra for it, they will charge extra for it!!

Even if you can afford to pay extra ...why do you want too? If we stop paying extra they will stop charging extra!

Gee, am I the only one who thinks some people actually want CC to fail? :confused:

You are not. But perhaps the OP --if they take the time to constructively read the replies-- will have a much more enlightened view other than just their own original views. Perhaps they many even chime in to acknowledge this by stating: "Wow, I guess I was only thinking of myself and what I want. After reading this maybe CC will be a success, even though it's not for me."

I'm one that may pay the premium for CC. It's something I do when I fly. (Paid, not upgraded)

So this thread now has me scared of my future flights in the premium cabin on airplanes. After reading postings referring to how "stupid" people who pay for CC are, I know I'm going to be sitting in my seat one day as they get on the plane and starting yelling at us up front, on the way to their seat in the back: "You people are stupid! What fools to pay that extra money for these seats! See, I got my own sammich and this here jug a Kool Aid I mixed at the water fountain. Y'all 'er wasting your money!"

You are not. But perhaps the OP --if they take the time to constructively read the replies-- will have a much more enlightened view other than just their own original views. Perhaps they many even chime in to acknowledge this by stating: "Wow, I guess I was only thinking of myself and what I want. After reading this maybe CC will be a success, even though it's not for me."

I'm one that may pay the premium for CC. It's something I do when I fly. (Paid, not upgraded)

So this thread now has me scared of my future flights in the premium cabin on airplanes. After reading postings referring to how "stupid" people who pay for CC are, I know I'm going to be sitting in my seat one day as they get on the plane and starting yelling at us up front, on the way to their seat in the back: "You people are stupid! What fools to pay that extra money for these seats! See, I got my own sammich and this here jug a Kool Aid I mixed at the water fountain. Y'all 'er wasting your money!"

Hmmm.... so what are you calling people who do not pay extra...to be "Special"?

Edited by Reader0108598

You didn't have to be a CC participant to do that. If you chum up to the head waiter, they'll do that for anybody. I had a steak in the Crown Grill smothered in lobster tails. Not on the menu. That's what cruise lines do.

So let me understand this. If you're sailing Club Class & you prefer something else besides what on the menu, even though it's being served elsewhere at extra cost, they'll bring it to you at no charge? clear.png?emoji-confused-1977

Correct.

I just don't get this new Club Class. On my upcoming Dec cruise the difference between my covered mini and club class is $576/pp. That's $1152 per couple for the privilege of special seating in the MDR! You've got to be kidding me. How stupid does Princess think we are?

The reports here from people who have used club class have been very positive.

With several saying they they wouldn't cruise on princess again without it.

The posts by the 'critics' here are generally negative.

Princess is in business to make money. I presume they listen to the people who spend

money on their ships, at the expense of random internet posters.

There's really no downside for princess. They can offer club class rooms and make extra money

on those that sell.

Worst case if club class cabins aren't selling, they can offer ordinary mini-suite guarantees,

and at the last minute fill the club class mini-suites with the guarantee holders.

...look back a few years! Remember lobster and steak in the MDR....Crab legs ,shrimp in the buffett?

Yes. l also remember wine stewards; and, when your MDR waiter knew your name and had enough time to do more than just take the order, come back, sling the food down and disappear.

And also, people on Cruise Critic in favour of specialty restaurants, posting they would have no effect on the service or quality of food in the MDR... remember?

Yes. l also remember wine stewards; and, when your MDR waiter knew your name and had enough time to do more than just take the order, come back, sling the food down and disappear.

And also, people on Cruise Critic in favour of specialty restaurants, posting they would have no effect on the service or quality of food in the MDR... remember?

I remember:)...also wanted to say....

Hope I sit next to the person with the "sammich" and kool aid on that there flying machine....:D lol

Not Bill ..........quality and service diminished in the MDR.Designed to get you to pay extra, for what you used to get included in your fare.

Are you familiar with the Latin phrase "Post hoc, ergo propter hoc."? One of the more common logical fallacies is the argument that because A (specialty restaurants) happened before B (decreased quality in the MDR), that A caused B. It would be a better argument that the relentless demands for cheaper fares caused the decline in quality in the MDR.

Are you familiar with the Latin phrase "Post hoc, ergo propter hoc."? One of the more common logical fallacies is the argument that because A (specialty restaurants) happened before B (decreased quality in the MDR), that A caused B. It would be a better argument that the relentless demands for cheaper fares caused the decline in quality in the MDR.

It was just my opinion...you know what that counts for!

It would be a better argument that the relentless demands for cheaper fares caused the decline in quality in the MDR.

Except, passengers did not demand lower fares. The lines went on an unprecedented, idiotic 'arms race' of one upmanship to build the biggest 'Behemoths of the Seas' they could. They created an oversupply situation that required keeping fares low to fill the ships. While we all benefit from economy of scale, it's likely in the extreme the rise of specialty restaurants and the 'decline' in the MDR is a situation where correlation does imply causation.

It's just one part of the ongoing search for increased on board revenue.

Edited by Bill B

Except, passengers did not demand lower fares. The lines went on an unprecedented, idiotic 'arms race' of one upmanship to build the biggest 'Behemoths of the Seas' they could. They created an oversupply situation that required keeping fares low to fill the ships. While we all benefit from economy of scale, it's likely in the extreme the rise of specialty restaurants and the 'decline' in the MDR is a situation where correlation does imply causation.

It's just one part of the ongoing search for increased on board revenue.

So your argument is that when the cruise lines increased the supply of cabins, they brought aboard a new class of cruise passengers who are motivated to seek the cheapest possible fares, and that resulted, inevitably, in the elimination of a proper beef wellington in the main dinning room?

BTW, if you don't believe passengers are 'demanding lower fares', how do you explain the number of topics about such things as sales, the best time to book to get lower fares, how to save money on cruises, etc.

So your argument is that when the cruise lines increased the supply of cabins, they brought aboard a new class of cruise passengers who are motivated to seek the cheapest possible fares, and that resulted, inevitably, in the elimination of a proper beef wellington in the main dinning room?

No. When the lines increased the supply of rooms, they had to keep fares low to fill them. With low fares, they had to increase on board revenue. One way to do that is to have people pay 'twice' for a meal i.e. specialty restaurants. However, people won't pay for a specialty restaurant unless there's a significant difference between it and the MDR. The way they created the difference was to institute a series of small (almost imperceptible) changes - declines in service, and selection & quality of food - over time that 'added up' to the MDR situation today.

If you had told me in 2000 people would be lining up to pay $80 a day for outside 'deck space' (Sanctuaries, Retreat Cabanas etc.), I would have said you were "nuts". Now, people are... why?... MUTS!

Edited by Bill B

No. When the lines increased the supply of rooms, they had to keep fares low to fill them. With low fares, they had to increase on board revenue. One way to do that is to have people pay 'twice' for a meal i.e. specialty restaurants. However, people won't pay for a specialty restaurant unless there's a significant difference between it and the MDR. The way they created the difference was to institute a series of small (almost imperceptible) changes - declines in service, and selection & quality of food - over time that 'added up' to the MDR situation today.

There are too few seats in the specialty dining rooms to make up for the revenue loss from the reduced fares for your theory to work. Also, the "(almost imperceptible) declines in service" would take too long to have an effect sufficient to offset the loss in fare revenue.

Another question: how do you explain why many passengers prefer the buffet to the main dining room since the service and food quality are superior in the main dining room?

So let me understand this. If you're sailing Club Class & you prefer something else besides what on the menu, even though it's being served elsewhere at extra cost, they'll bring it to you at no charge? clear.png?emoji-confused-1977

Correct.

There never is any extra cost for food charges in the MDR. They're not setup to handle it. You just have to find out who to ask, and then ask for it. You may not always get it, but if they are geared up for making it, they'll do it.

A fellow at the next table had a bucket of mussels served to him every night of the cruise, regardless of what else he ordered. I need to underline this isn't a CC thing nor even a Princess thing. Within reason you can do it anywhere, and a little palm-greasing of the head waiter makes it happen easily.