Will Club Class be a bust?

chloe45

13 Day Aust / NZ cruise later this year.

CC is an extra $10 pp / per day.

That is probably not dissimilar to the old "prime mid ship position" price differential.

For $10 pp/day I'd grab it. Otherwise traditional dining in the MDR is just fine for me.

13 Day Aust / NZ cruise later this year.

CC is an extra $10 pp / per day.

That is probably not dissimilar to the old "prime mid ship position" price differential.

$10 more than what category?

My TA advertises in a similar fashion to get people to book a higher category making it look like it's only X amount of dollars for so much more.

NOPE: You're wrong.

I don't think very highly of comments here where others had said it's "stupid" for people to waste money on Club Class. If some don't find value, then they can just pass on it and allow others who do to buy. Rather than calling names back, I choose to share the image that comes to my head when I read those comments as the image relates to the thread. Usually it's hyperbole. And usually, when others read this, they laugh at it's silliness. It could be that read it and perhaps flush with embarrassment as they reflect on what they had originally written.

So, no name calling or finger pointing by me. I just present an image to have people "think twice" about their posts and reflect accordingly... all the while staying on topic: club class is here to stay.

Ah, I understand now: Casting your opponents as barely-literate hicks is not "name calling," it's simultaneously silly fun that everyone laughs with, and a stinging rebuke of the people who disagree, and are therefore factually wrong. Thank you, Sensei. I shall reflect upon this wisdom.

....If we can't book a full suite, we would give the CC mini a go for some premium, just not sure what my pain point is.

We don't get to sail often so we usually go for a full suite but getting one is often a problem. Our favorite is a Vista suite on the grand class ships but you make an interesting point. If it's just the DW and I a CC mini might be a good compromise if we can't get the aft Vista. I'm always one to give something new a try and would be willing to try CC (at a "reasonable" price) and see if it was worth it. If not, won't be back.

Fair enough. :D Now, all you have to do is ask yourself -

Is being able to get into the MDR when I want is worth approximately $90 per person per day? :confused:

No, but the guaranteed premium located stateroom is, together with the bespoke and enhanced service in the MDR without any wait, the extra dishes and flexibility around the menu, the enhanced amenities in the cabin, and the other bits and pieces are - because that is what I place value on.

Just because other people don't, it doesn't make it right or wrong, and people should not be harangued just they don't subscribe to a point of view shoved in peoples faces. Each to their own, live and let live!

Fair enough. :D Now, all you have to do is ask yourself -

Is being able to get into the MDR when I want is worth approximately $90 per person per day? :confused:

No, but the guaranteed premium located stateroom is, together with the bespoke and enhanced service in the MDR without any wait, the extra dishes and flexibility around the menu, the enhanced amenities in the cabin, and the other bits and pieces are - because that is what I place value on.

Just because other people don't, it doesn't make it right or wrong, and people should not be harangued just they don't subscribe to a point of view shoved in peoples faces. Each to their own, live and let live!

Bill B: You still don't understand. Ian does. If you only look at the added benefit above the next level of minisuite, the upcharge will probably seem excessive. But if you start with a clean slate and say "Is this Princess cruise in Club Class worth its price?" you may get a different answer. Or not -- it means that I'll be comparing Princess with Azamara or Oceania or Celebrity Suite Class.

Quote: "Is being able to get into the MDR when I want is worth approximately $90 per person per day?"

Out of curiosity, I just figured how much it cost me per day to upgrade from the original mini-suite I had booked to the Club Class for our June cruise. $5.55 per person per day. I find that pretty reasonable for what I will be getting.

Gee, am I the only one who thinks some people actually want CC to fail? :confused:

People hate change. There are still people that can't wait for SHARE to fail even though they never had any intention of trying it. I guess calling people stupid for wanting to try CC or the AIBP is supposed to keep people away so those too will fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

People hate change. There are still people that can't wait for SHARE to fail even though they never had any intention of trying it. I guess calling people stupid for wanting to try CC or the AIBP is supposed to keep people away so those too will fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think the people who don't appreciate SHARE (like myself) are just disappointed because of losing a restaurant they did like & can't wait to see it gone & replaced with something better.

Obviously it's unlike the restaurants of past years on board Princess and not aimed at my style of food in the least.

Let's look at the Club Cass benefits and what it costs Princess to provide them:

PREMIUM LOCATION MINI-SUITES

$0 (passengers were already paying for premium location)

EXCLUSIVE CLUB CLASS DINING

$0 (Princess doesn't pay your wait staff, we all do... with tips)

PRIORITY EMBARK & DEBARK

$0

THE ULTIMATE SLEEP AT SEA

$0 (they are putting the mattresses in all staterooms anyway)

COMPLIMENTARY WINE

$2 divided by the number of days of cruise duration

PRIORITY SPECIALTY DINING RESERVATIONS

$0 (this is especially brilliant - charge passengers to make it easier for them to spend more money)

EVENING CANAPES

12 cents? (if you order them)

UPGRADED BATHROBES

$0 (they had the bathrobes already)

Essentially it costs Princess almost nothing to provide Club Class. Any extra fare paid by the passengers for it is almost all pure profit.

Oh yeah... 'Club Class' is definitely here to stay!

So what cabin class do you book?

We booked MA (before they became M1) and they were always lots more expensive than the least expensive mini-suites. The now M1 minis don't seem very much more expensive at all to us ... apples to apples.

Since we're elite, we get most of the CC perks anyway. Still, we are looking forward to our M1 location and to CC Dining. :D

This reminds me of all the 'Is ZZZ worth it on ship RRR'. There is only one answer. We have no idea, the question is really is it worth it to YOU and we have no idea. For some people the AIBP is worth it, for some not. Or the UST, or the Sanctuary, or whatever. It depends on your interests, your budget and your plans.. What people need to understand is what the benefits and costs of any given option are, and then make their own decision. If that decision leads them to book this class at the prince Princess wants, then Princess will continue it. If not, they won't.

Personally speaking only, I value the CC premium to ME at about $20-30 per day PP. So if I look at cabins for the two of us, and the difference is $40-$60 per day I would probably take it. Someone else might think $50 pp is fair, others $5 or $0.

Bill B: You still don't understand. Ian does. If you only look at the added benefit above the next level of minisuite, the upcharge will probably seem excessive. But if you start with a clean slate and say "Is this Princess cruise in Club Class worth its price?" you may get a different answer. Or not -- it means that I'll be comparing Princess with Azamara or Oceania or Celebrity Suite Class.

I understand. There are two variables:

Variable 1

As I said "The value of Club Class to a passenger is subjective. Different people will place different values on Club Class benefits."

Variable 2

There is a huge discrepancy in the cost of 'upgrading' to Club Class. On this thread alone, prices from $5.50 to $90.00 per person per day have been mentioned.

There are a multitude of possible combinations of these variables. Personally, I'd probably pay $10 pp/pd for Club Class, ian441692 will pay $90.

Not really.

Prior to the introduction of CC those midship minis ( MA in the old terms ) would generally be more expensive than the next section MB ones.

Yes... but prices fluctuate... may times not proportionally between categories. If for a given cruise, Princess increases the price of regular minis but not CC, does that not change how people will value CC?

P.T. Barnum was right (there is a sucker born every minute). We like the one post where the poster talks about putting his on value on CC. That is how we suggest folks look at all cruise categories and perks (like drink packages). Forget what the cruise line charges. Forget all the hype. Simply put a value on each additional perk you get when you buy CC over a similar cabin without CC (of even a slightly smaller cabin). So how much is that special dining room worth...per passenger day? It is the same with drink packages. The cruise line might tell you that a certain drink package is worth $60 per passenger day. And then you look at your previous cruises and discover that average about $40 per passenger day for drinks. So that package is worth $40 or perhaps even $50 per day...to you. Cruise lines are very good at stroking big egos and elitism (gee...Princess even calls it "Elite"). We see folks trying to let folks see their cruise card because the color shows they are "special." On HAL many older passengers went nutz when the company said they were going to stop giving out Medallions (cheap tin) for having cruised X number of days. Some of these folks will walk around the ship wearing this worthless Medallions around their neck....just to say "I am cool and special because I have 400 days."

So much of this stuff is about ego. CC would interest us if they had a truly upscale menu in the CC restaurant. But if its simply the MDR menu plus a tableside made pasta (they used to do this in the MDR on Princess...at every dinner) then we find it hard to see the value. One could book a regular cabin, dine in alternative restaurants on most nights...and still save money over CC. Go figure.

Hank

I just don't get this new Club Class. On my upcoming Dec cruise the difference between my covered mini and club class is $576/pp. That's $1152 per couple for the privilege of special seating in the MDR! You've got to be kidding me. How stupid does Princess think we are? This new perk costs them NOTHING. They take wait staff from the MDR so service suffers for the rest. DH and I haven't eaten in the MDR for years now. We do specialty or the buffet. MDR takes too long.

With Club class you also get Hors d'oeuvres and a wine package (probably 2 bottles). Big deal. On my Dec cruise only 2 cabins have been sold in this class.

I totally agree. It is not Princess and it is not their style. They are trying to be like Celebrity instead of lead a new trend on their own. It is better to be an industry leader opposed to just a copycat and follower.

I think the club class is garbage and even if I did have their cabins I would not want to eat in a separate section of the restaurant as it restricts all the interesting people you can meet to one tiny group.

Sure Bill B ...

But, prior to CC people would have paid more for a MA (midship) than for a MD (aft).

That higher cabin price didn't cost Princess anything to provide; but people paid extra as they wanted that cabin position.

That may have been $10 pp/pd or $20pp/pd or whatever.

But people paid this amount extra.

Now; people are doing the same on some cruises plus they get CC as well as extra.

Surely these people think that CC is a good deal for them?

I'm going to stop posting on this thread now while it has under 100 posts (it'll probably go over 1000). ;)

I 'concede':

- different people have different ideas;

- different people have different thought processes;

- different people value different things differently;

- different people value the same things differently.

- value is a perception, and different people perceive value differently.

Club Class will be around until Princess thinks of something to replace it (that makes even more money).

I'm off now to book my next cruise before they start charging extra for Traditional Dining. :rolleyes:

Cheers, :beer-toast: <BOGO beer :p

Bill

Edited by Bill B

It's pretty simple.

If you don't want to pay extra for enhanced service and amenities...don't book Club Class.

If you do want to splurge and pay extra for enhanced service and amenities...go ahead and book Club Class.

If you think that people who do or do not wish to book Club Class are stupid or suckers...please be polite and keep your opinions to yourself.