A Big THANK-YOU to Holland America!

San Diego Mike

Two days before we were to leave on our cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego, my mom became sick and passed away. It happened so fast, we were in shock. At that point, our cruise was the farthest thing on our minds. We called American Airlines to cancel our flight and Holland America to cancel our cruise. For one of the first times in our long cruise history, we had not taken out cancellation insurance. I was okay with losing our fares, because that is why you buy insurance, and we didn't and now must pay the price. Our airline tickets were non-refundable, but the person my wife talked to at American Airlines said to send in a copy of the obituary and they would take it in to consideration. The same for Holland America. Sure enough, American Airlines issued us a full refund and Holland America applied our fare for a credit on a future cruise. These companies did not have to do this, so I want to give them a heart felt thank-you. Your compassion and wonderful letter of condolence were much appreciated. We learned a big lesson and will make sure we purchase insurance in the future. Again, Thank-you Holland America and American Airlines

I am sorry for your loss; it's difficult to lose our Moms. I'm so glad both the airline and Holland America were able to cut through the red tape and give you positive results.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

My prayers go out to you and your family Mike. I am sorry for the sudden loss of your mother. I do understand since this past September while in Europe my father passed suddenly!

I commend HAL/AA for coming through for you.

Smooth sailings in your future!

Denise:)

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Kudos to Holland America and American Airlines to make an exception to lift your burden even a little. It speaks well for them both.

Thank you for taking the time to come and give them praise.

So sorry to hear of your mom's passing and glad that HAL and the airline has empathy for such a devastating event in your life.

We were on that cruise and it was very nice. Maybe sometime you will get to do it in memory of your mother.

My condolences on the death of you mother. I'm glad the airlines and HAL decided to refund or credit your payments even though you did not have trip insurance. HAL's response to you seems it has made a significant policy change in this regard. We're cruising in November and I have been comparing and reading reviews on various plans. Here's what HAL had to say in 2013 about refunds and credits for those without insurance:

“We regret that [the passenger] needed to cancel his cruise for these reasons and empathize with the circumstances that led to this decision. We are also sorry that he found himself in this difficult position without adequate cancellation protection. Although the situation is very unfortunate, our cancellation policies are clearly detailed in our brochures and online, and must apply to everyone equally in order to maintain the integrity of our company and the cancellation protection plans we offer. Many of our guests purchase our cancellation protection to safeguard against unforeseen difficulties every time they sail, and offering the benefits of this coverage to guests who do not purchase it would be unfair to those guests who do. Although we are truly sorry for the circumstances involved in his cancellation, we are unfortunately not able to offer a refund or credit toward another cruise. And while we realize this decision is disappointing, we are certain you can understand that we cannot make an exception for every guest who cancels despite very unfortunate circumstances, and it would put us in a very compromising position to make exceptions for some travelers, but not for others.”

The thanks go to you for taking the time, during a period of grief, stress and confusion, to praise two companies who did the right thing. Kudos to all involved, and my condolences on your sudden loss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very sorry tro hear of your Mom's passing but it is good to hear how wel these travel providers took care of you. When you come out of the initial shock, and start to come to grips, that might be a good time to consider a new booking.