Cabin square footage

Yes...cabins feel smaller because ALL of the space is included in the sq. footage....Some cruise lines include balcony space, too...RCI does not. But, they will be tighter than they appear in the photos!

RCI and Celebrity as two do not include the balcony in the stateroom square footage - the balcony square footage is listed separately and is in addition to the stateroom square footage. But as stated, all stateroom square footage listings are inclusive of the bathroom and closets. It is based on the total L X W of the stateroom footprint.

As example, if a stateroom is listed as 200 sq. ft., it could be 10 x 20, which would include the bathroom, closet, and sleeping / sitting area. If it also has a balcony that would be listed as 60 sq. ft. it could be 10 x 6. The two areas combined would then be 260 sq. ft. And as mentioned, RCI and Celebrity list those two areas separately.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

When a cruise line lists the square footage of a cabin, does that include the bathroom and space taken up by closets (if applicable)? Do all cruise lines follow a general rule when posting cabin square footage?

Yes, they are included.

When a cruise line lists the square footage of a cabin, does that include the bathroom and space taken up by closets (if applicable)? Do all cruise lines follow a general rule when posting cabin square footage?

My experience is that they give you the square footage of the space as if it is one big box. I do not know of any line that includes the balcony in the room size, unless it specifically says that it is doing it, and then it will tell you the square footage of the balcony

My experience is that they give you the square footage of the space as if it is one big box. I do not know of any line that includes the balcony in the room size, unless it specifically says that it is doing it, and then it will tell you the square footage of the balcony

Not Princess. Both on their deck plans, and on their cabin description pages, they list the total square footage including balcony, but make no mention of the size of the balcony itself. That makes it difficult to know the actual cabin sq. ft.

Ok. So I've concluded that the advertised square footage's method of calculation can vary from cruise line to cruise line. Same as a "mini-suite" on one line may be smaller than a "family verandah" on another cruise line.

Ok. So I've concluded that the advertised square footage's method of calculation can vary from cruise line to cruise line. Same as a "mini-suite" on one line may be smaller than a "family verandah" on another cruise line.

Only to the extent of some including the balcony as part of single advertised square footage and others having it separate.

And yes, each cruise line can describe their staterooms differently from each other. There is no standard to describe a stateroom just by square footage - one line's suite may be another's standard stateroom.