Briksdal Glacier P&O tour - anyone done it?

summerhols

Hello Galaxy - thanks for your input. The new cable car looks very interesting! You say it's only 6 minutes from Olden by car/bus - is there a bus service to the cable car or local tour firms running minibuses or the like to the cable car? THanks for any information.

Hello Galaxy - thanks for your input. The new cable car looks very interesting! You say it's only 6 minutes from Olden by car/bus - is there a bus service to the cable car or local tour firms running minibuses or the like to the cable car? THanks for any information.

http://www.kringom.no/

Use that link. From = Olden cruise kai To = Loen ( go of the bus at Joker grovcery in Loen ) then you see were the bus go and go the same way around 2-300 m there u see Loen skylift. Date = time you are in Olden Time = put in 08:00 then search. do the same for return but then From = Loen and To = Olden cruise kai. ( remember bus stop is at Joker grovcery in Loen both ways )

Scriv : Hello :) we are all just fine here in Olden,its so great we get many visitors agein,its always great when the cruise season start agein after a quiet winter :) Im happy to hear you enjoy your visits in our village and for sure,you and everybody is welcome to Olden :)

The photo was interesting as I stood ON the glacier about 11 years ago having walked up; it has retreated quite a lot since then. No the coach ride isn't at all scary and I hate scary rides over hairpin bends.

http://www.kringom.no/

Use that link. From = Olden cruise kai To = Loen ( go of the bus at Joker grovcery in Loen ) then you see were the bus go and go the same way around 2-300 m there u see Loen skylift. Date = time you are in Olden Time = put in 08:00 then search. do the same for return but then From = Loen and To = Olden cruise kai. ( remember bus stop is at Joker grovcery in Loen both ways )

Thank you so much for that information. :) We have been to Norway (absolutely beautiful and awesome) on a number of occasions but this will be our first visit to Olden. We are very much looking forward to it. Thanks again for your help.

Thank you for all the replies here, we are also undecided what to do here. The excursion from P&O for the troll cars is £72 and I'm afraid I cannot justify spending this for 4 of us, although it looks good, so we will see when we get there if there are any available for a cheaper price. I have checked to see and Aurora is the only ship in that day so we may be lucky.

P.S. Just took a look at the Skylift (WOW). I can see another excursion going there soon.

Edited by mandylennon

We have been to Olden before, but are returning in June on Britannia.

I have limited mobility and will be taking a folding manual wheelchair.

Perhaps somebody can answer my questions for visiting the glacier.

Which would be the best way of getting there? Is it by pre booking the shuttle from the port?

I presume I would then need to take one of the troll cars to get closer to the glacier? Can these be pre booked?

Is there anywhere to wait as I'm sure my OH would want to walk up to the glacier from where the troll cars drop off?

Any information appreciated. Thanks.

We have been to Olden before, but are returning in June on Britannia.

I have limited mobility and will be taking a folding manual wheelchair.

Perhaps somebody can answer my questions for visiting the glacier.

Which would be the best way of getting there? Is it by pre booking the shuttle from the port?

I presume I would then need to take one of the troll cars to get closer to the glacier? Can these be pre booked?

Is there anywhere to wait as I'm sure my OH would want to walk up to the glacier from where the troll cars drop off?

Any information appreciated. Thanks.

Yes you could take a troll car but they may be fully booked by the cruise line the only way to ensure you get on a troll car is to book the ships excursion that includes the car. Beware the troll car doesn't go all the way to the glacier. It stops short and from there there is a path that from memory wouldn't be ideal for a wheelchair.

There is a nice cafe by the car park at the bottom of the trail to wait.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi London towner

We are visiting Olden in June on Britannia too. Is it the 18 June cruise you are on? My hubby has booked the P and O Briksall Glacier excursion. (I am not keen on the thought of the steep long walk! so I am going to do a different excursion).If you want to use the troll car you may be best booking the P and O Briksall Glacier by Troll Car excursion as I have read that although it is easy to get to the drop off point, sometimes the troll cars are full (not sure if it is possible to book one in advance independantly?)I think there is a small cafe and tourist shop before those that want to can start the walk but i have decided that 2 hours is a long time to sit in a cafe- however nice the cakes may be!! I am therefore seeing a different glacier from a boat cruise on a lake.:)

Hi Londontowner.. Like the others say, I think you can pre book the troll car as well independantly, but think they might fill up quickly with the ship's bookings. The cafe is at the car park at the bottom of the trail and the troll car ride.... if you go up in the troll car ride with your OH, there is only really a shelter and some toilets up there where the troll cars drop you off and where you would wait for you OH to come back from the lake and a closer view. From memory, I think it would take OH about 10 mins each way to do the final bit. I can't remember if you can see the glacier from that top car park where you would be waiting?

Hi Londontowner.. Like the others say, I think you can pre book the troll car as well independantly, but think they might fill up quickly with the ship's bookings. The cafe is at the car park at the bottom of the trail and the troll car ride.... if you go up in the troll car ride with your OH, there is only really a shelter and some toilets up there where the troll cars drop you off and where you would wait for you OH to come back from the lake and a closer view. From memory, I think it would take OH about 10 mins each way to do the final bit. I can't remember if you can see the glacier from that top car park where you would be waiting?

From memory when we were there a couple of years ago , i dont think you can see the Glacier at all....or the lake...from where the Troll cars stop.

Thank you all for your helpful answers. I will send a message to Visit Norway about the Troll Cars or put a message on Tripadvisor.

I'm not bothered about looking at the glacier close up as have seen glaciers before. Also, OH takes lots of photos of places I can't get to.

I'll come back with any extra info I find out as it may help others.

I really really fancy that new sky lift thing but everybody else I'm travelling with are doing the full on glacier hike,,I really really don't fancy that:o what I'm wondering is if it might be possible to do both as they are all booked on the 9am hiking trip. Decisions decisions! Can I fit the troll car thing in first then the skylift:confused:

Literally just completed that tour today. No hairy experiences on the coach drive, very gentle drive through the valley with stunning scenery. You can either hike to the glacier (about 45 mins each way) or take the Troll Cars and walk the last 15 mins.

Beautiful trip. Definitely recommend.

Enjoy

Cheers

Pat

Have now booked the shuttle bus and the Troll Car. It worked out to £52pp instead of the £74pp being charged by the cruise ship for exactly the same thing.

Thank you all for the information, especially Galaxy.

It looks stunning, so hope it doesn't rain that day. Last time we went to Olden it was hot and sunny, so fingers crossed.

Galaxy

You have been most helpful. I have booked the Glacier shuttle and sent an email to book the Troll Car.

Thank you

Could you please tell me how much the troll car is per person, think we will try and book this, hopefully cheaper than the P&O excursion.

Could you please tell me how much the troll car is per person, think we will try and book this, hopefully cheaper than the P&O excursion.

The Troll Car cost 220NOK pp. we booked the shuttle from the port in Olden, so the total cost with today's exchange worked out a total of £52 each.

The ship's tour is £74 and I understand it includes coffee and cake, but I can have nice coffee and cake in Fortnum and Mason or the Ritz for £22.

I have paid for the bus, but for the Troll Car they confirmed my booking and said to pay when we get there.

I use a CC with no foreign transaction charges.

There is another bus which leaves from the centre of Olden. I don't know if that is cheaper, but as I have limited mobility I took the easy option.

I think you have done the best one .... there is a sightseeing open top bus though I am not sure whether that goes as far as Briksdal. I don't think so. And then there is the public bus, but I wouldn't go for that with limited mobility. And I can assure you, the port of Olden trips are safe and well organised and very reliable. Now only thikng to do is to look forward to it :)

Scriv

Thanks for your reassuring words. We have been to Olden before, but a few years ago. Then we did the little Ditto train to the lake. I don't think they were so well organised then and didn't have the buses at the port.

We are used to booking our own trips, but I do lots of research, mainly because of my limitations, never come unstuck yet. In fact, have had some great experiences.

This particular thread has been particularly helpful for me.

• 2 weeks later...