Possible Expansion of Electronics Ban

TiogaCruiser

Checking it in the luggage, is the airline going to take responsibility if something goes wrong?
There is practically no chance that airlines will take on any additional responsibility, no matter what changes come about, or why, or how.

As it is, the ban announced in March was government imposed, not airline imposed. There is less than no chance of getting the US government to pay for any loss associated with any executive orders or ensuing regulations they say are in the interest of fighting terrorism.

The passengers' option will be to either take on the entire risk, themselves, or to leave the electronics home, no matter how incompatible that is with the intentions of the travelers.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I hope they make up their minds quickly. Gives me a chance to cancel an upcoming trip. If I can't carry it with me. I just won't go. A good DSLR and a couple of lenses will run into thousands of dollars. No way I'm checking that!

I hope they make up their minds quickly. Gives me a chance to cancel an upcoming trip. If I can't carry it with me. I just won't go. A good DSLR and a couple of lenses will run into thousands of dollars. No way I'm checking that!

I'm with you on that.

For those who do still want to travel with their items, if the ban comes in (I used to work in an airline baggage area) Most people probably already know this, but just in case ....

Very little checked-in baggage gets stolen between the USA and Europe, much more likely it would get lost. Make sure your name and destination address, or home address for the return, is on your bag in a couple places. Also make sure you safely keep your baggage receipts (and check you are actually given one for each bag on checkin) You would be amazed how many people only look for their receipts after their bag doesn't turn up!

Pack items in the middle of the case surrounded by soft clothing. Bags do definitely get thrown around, but I have got delicate glass items home like this, so it should work for electronics.

Check your travel insurance to see what you are covered for in case the item gets lost or broken, top up the cover if necessary.

Buy a book to read on the flight :D

See if your insurer would issue you a 'floater pollicy for when you fly.

I'm also very concerned about that. You can still put the lens in your carry on which in some cases are more expensive than the body but it makes me uneasy. Add our iPads and I'm worried that's a lot of value in checked luggage.

I'm also very concerned about that. You can still put the lens in your carry on which in some cases are more expensive than the body but it makes me uneasy. Add our iPads and I'm worried that's a lot of value in checked luggage.

Bonding mine.

Perhaps not. My new lens (a Tamron and not particularly high end) has electronics, including firmware to focus.

I have been hoping to get in some cruises in the next several years, before the S and R class ships are sold, and before I retire. The bottom line for me is if I have to check my DSLR into the hold, neither it nor I will be flying.

I'm hoping they can come up with a reasonable and safe alternative. Such as a protected area in the plane ( like a "bunker" area") where all electronics can be stowed, and checked in and out by the crew on boarding and leaving. Not in the check on/hold. Is that possible?

Bonding mine.

Perhaps not. My new lens (a Tamron and not particularly high end) has electronics, including firmware to focus.

I thought about that too and have a very expensive Nikon telephoto lens with electronics in it. Right now I'm only going on one posting on a frequent flyer forum by a "professional" photographer who flew out of Egypt. He said he was able to only check the bodies of his DSLR cameras and kept his lens. He even required to put his pocket camera in his checked luggage. Basically everything electronic except his cell phone and lens. Anecdotal but the only report I've seen so far on cameras.

Edited by Randyk47

I thought about that too and have a very expensive Nikon telephoto lens with electronics in it. Right now I'm only going on one posting on a frequent flyer forum by a "professional" photographer who flew out of Egypt. He said he was able to only check the bodies of his DSLR cameras and kept his lens. He even required to put his pocket camera in his checked luggage. Basically everything electronic except his cell phone and lens. Anecdotal but the only report I've seen so far on cameras.

Thanks Randy.

I thought the electronics in the cabin ban applies only to flights coming to U.S, so far. A flight out of Egypt to Rome, may permit electronics s in the cabin?

Yes, as of the latter part of March, only US bound flights from certain airports. There is discussion that the ban may extend to cover more US bound flights from additional airports, or all international US bound flights.

If they are going to ban these items on flights from Europe, it would be logical to ban them on all international flights. For example, it makes no sense to ban them on a flight from London to New York, but allow them on a flight from New Delhi to New York.

Yes, as of the latter part of March, only US bound flights from certain airports. There is discussion that the ban may extend to cover more US bound flights from additional airports, or all international US bound flights.

Yes, I know the discussion is whether the ban will be extended toincluded even some western European countries to U.S.. That could be brutal on tourism

I thought the electronics in the cabin ban applies only to flights coming to U.S, so far. A flight out of Egypt to Rome, may permit electronics s in the cabin?

The UK joined the ban so electronics, basically anything but cell phones, are not allowed on inbound flights from Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, and Egypt to the UK. The photographer I mentioned about was flying Eygpt to UK so was subject to the ban. Unless either the UK or the US extends the ban we'll be fine flying back from Dubai to the UK but then again it looks like they want to expand the ban to all inbound flights and at the extreme regardless of point of origin or carrier.

Everything I've seen on the news about this proposed new ban only mentions laptops and tablets. Air travel already sucks and this doesn't help but if the flight has seatback entertainment it will not affect me personally as I never bring my laptop. The only mentions I've heard about cameras have been on this board. I can't imagine traveling without a camera. Are point and shoot cameras affected as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Everything I've seen on the news about this proposed new ban only mentions laptops and tablets. Air travel already sucks and this doesn't help but if the flight has seatback entertainment it will not affect me personally as I never bring my laptop. The only mentions I've heard about cameras have been on this board. I can't imagine traveling without a camera. Are point and shoot cameras affected as well?

Assuming they are not changing the terms of the already existing travel ban (merely expanding it), the wording states that all electronics 'larger than a cell phone/smart phone' are banned from the cabin, and they specifically list the following categories:

Laptops

Tablets

E-Readers

Cameras

Portable DVD players

Electronic game units larger than a smartphone

Travel printers/scanners

Assuming they are not changing the terms of the already existing travel ban (merely expanding it), the wording states that all electronics 'larger than a cell phone/smart phone' are banned from the cabin, and they specifically list the following categories:

Laptops

Tablets

E-Readers

Cameras

Portable DVD players

Travel printers/scanners

Thank you for posting this. It appears that the rule is pretty vague (maybe intentionally?) as cell phones vary greatly in size. I assume that most point and shoot cameras would be okay? They are similar in height/length to an iPhone although certainly thicker. Of course some old cell phones are huge (those old bricks! Haha) but they are still a phone. Where do they draw the line? Anyone have recent experience with the current ban from the Middle East and how it affects p&s cameras? They really should be more clear by listing specific dimensions like they list the ounce limit for liquid bans.

Laptops

Tablets

E-Readers

Cameras

Portable DVD players

Travel printers/scanners

My Canon power shot camera is smaller than a numb er of smart phones. I no longer traavelwith it but anyone who has such a camera lilkely would be able to c arry it on if the above description is aaccurate.

Laptops

Tablets

E-Readers

Cameras

Portable DVD players

Travel printers/scanners

Again anecdotal but a few have reported even noise cancelling headphones have been challenged and made to be put in checked luggage by overzealous security. Definitely point and shoot cameras have to be checked even the ones that are about the same size as a cell phone.

Again anecdotal but a few have reported even noise cancelling headphones have been challenged and made to be put in checked luggage by overzealous security. Definitely point and shoot cameras have to be checked even the ones that are about the same size as a cell phone.

Yes, I'd imagine that because cameras are specifically named on the "not okay" list, that would trump any quibbles about their size....

But since the UK terms are different, I suppose we'll have to wait and see what the wording is if/when the ban is extended.

That is going to make passengers unhappy. United's newer planes have no seat-back entertainment. They have wifi-based entertainment that you watch on your own device. I have no desire to watch a movie on my cell phone screen!

I have no desire to risk the theft or loss of my tablet in checked luggage and I also have no desire to strain my eyes on a long haul puddle jumper. I want my eyes closed and I want to sleep but since I hate to check luggage my main concern is losing the tablet never to be recovered. I like a tablet when traveling but I guess an iPhone will do. Need to set up a better data plan though which will be costly.

This reminds me of the knee jerk reaction to the diaper bomber when they made pax throw away unopened Chanel #5 among other things

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6