Possible Expansion of Electronics Ban

TiogaCruiser

Bostonjetset, I believe if you go back to OP#1 and click on the link it will bring up a picture/graphic to the left of the story that specifically shows: Laptops, Tablets, Cameras and Electronic Games. Now, if that is the news organizations graphic...I don't know.

To go along with some posters, all I've been hearing lately is "Laptops and Tablets". I assume in the next week we will probably get clarification as to what and when the ban will take effect. The most recent news I have read seems as though there is some "pushback" on the part of the EU countries because of fear of the impact it may have on tourism and airport staffing.

Edited by rothbury
spelling

If they are going to ban these items on flights from Europe, it would be logical to ban them on all international flights. For example, it makes no sense to ban them on a flight from London to New York, but allow them on a flight from New Delhi to New York.

Or to allow on a flight from New York to London

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Or to allow on a flight from New York to London

I think the US authorities think their security ex US airports is better than the places they are banning. That's why laptops are allowed from the USA to Egypt, and not the other way around. However you are right, that doesn't make much sense if they are extending the ban to all of Europe. I would think UK, and many other places in Western Europe, have just as good security checks for carry on as the US.

I think the US authorities think their security ex US airports is better than the places they are banning. That's why laptops are allowed from the USA to Egypt, and not the other way around. However you are right, that doesn't make much sense if they are extending the ban to all of Europe. I would think UK, and many other places in Western Europe, have just as good security checks for carry on as the US.

This is disturbing though because I can get my iPad in the cabin going but perhaps not returning

My main concern is it not being lost/stolen/misrouted etc

Every travel insurance policy I've read excludes electronics. It I'm sure those policies exist though that will cover them

This is disturbing though because I can get my iPad in the cabin going but perhaps not returning

Every travel insurance policy I've read excludes electronics. It I'm sure those policies exist though that will cover them

Me too. And it's not just the monetary loss, but the issue of trying to replace said camera, or other devices, while traveling.

Federal Express goes everywhere in the world and I'm pretty sure UPS does too. I'm taking mine to Europe and sending it home by Fed Ex :)

Problem solved and it is more likely to make it and not get stolen out of my luggage!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Federal Express goes everywhere in the world and I'm pretty sure UPS does too. I'm taking mine to Europe and sending it home by Fed Ex :)

Problem solved and it is more likely to make it and not get stolen out of my luggage!

This was the 1st solution I thought of but it will be costly to ship

It's almost more cost efficient to just buy a $65 tablet for web surfing and checking accounts or whatever versus bringing a $700 iPad Air or even a $300 iPad mini

Fwiw I believe my dd bought a $29 tablet for just this sort of thing. No worries and no need to rely on iPhone for everything

Still the other issue for me is I don't check luggage but might consider it for the return flight or just dump the $29 item

This is going to be a mess. Many business and military travelers are forbidden from checking their laptops due to private/confidential or secret nature of info on their electronic devices.

A mess is right! Part of me wonders how much of this is a step towards making the USA more closed off to the point that citizens won't be able to travel abroad without extreme difficulties. Keeping people from traveling and broadening their minds is one step towards a police state. Maybe too much conspiracy theories but can this just be more social control masked by the claim of safety? I'm all for safety on the air. It there must be other ways that are more efficient AND passenger friendly.

Me too. And it's not just the monetary loss, but the issue of trying to replace said camera, or other devices, while traveling.

cruisin 6 Every travel insurance policy I've read excludes electronics. It I'm sure those policies exist though that will cover them

That is why I suggested inquiring from your insurance agent if they will sell you a floater for your electronics when you travel. it might attach to your homeowner's or renters' insurance.

Edited by sail7seas

A mess is right! Part of me wonders how much of this is a step towards making the USA more closed off to the point that citizens won't be able to travel abroad without extreme difficulties. Keeping people from traveling and broadening their minds is one step towards a police state. Maybe too much conspiracy theories but can this just be more social control masked by the claim of safety? I'm all for safety on the air. It there must be other ways that are more efficient AND passenger friendly.

As I say there is always an agenda behind all of these things and of course there is one here only I'm not sure it's the police state agenda because honestly we can survive with out iPads during leisure travel. An iPhone can cover us. Also no one is stopping us from traveling ...yet

But you can bet I'm staying domestic in the near future after this summer and learning to do with just the phone too.

I predict a surge in private corporate charters in the future where luggage can be checked with no worries of mishandling theft and misrouting

Good idea.

You will be allowed to put them in your CHECKED bags...where they will promptly be stolen from your luggage.

Exactly so now instead of the stealing from every 3rd piece of checked luggage they have an incentive to rip off each and every piece

I see US tourism circling the drain.

On the other hand USA tourism for those of us who live here will skyrocket

I'm always hearing people rant about how we need to see America first so now we will get our chance

Sort of sneaky the way it's being forced on us though but thinking outside the box the reality is our money will stay in our economy won't it?

I've grown up with total freedom to travel and spend my $$$$ abroad and while I still have that freedom I can certainly see the underlying agenda here

I don't really like it but my iPhone will now be all I take

Maybe I should bring travelers checks too lol

Ohhh Travelers Checks now that is old school! ;)

On my 1st trips abroad as a college kid in the mid 70's we didn't even have credit cards

I'll survive without my iPad I guess

And where I live the UPS and FedEx drivers just put the parcel on the front step and don't bother ringing the bell. I've been home and watched them do it. So if you are worried about the airline employees stealing, the next thing to worry about is someone stealing your package from your front door. :mad:

And where I live the UPS and FedEx drivers just put the parcel on the front step and don't bother ringing the bell. I've been home and watched them do it. So if you are worried about the airline employees stealing, the next thing to worry about is someone stealing your package from your front door. :mad:

In this case I would think you would be delivering it to the hotel you are staying the first night. A little different situation.

In this case I would think you would be delivering it to the hotel you are staying the first night. A little different situation.

I live in the USA and the proposed ban on electronics is for flights only from Europe to the US, so I would be sending the device home after traveling in Europe.

I live in the USA and the proposed ban on electronics is for flights only from Europe to the US, so I would be sending the device home after traveling in Europe.

Just did a quick faux rate check on Fedex from Civi (Rome port) to my home. For "international economy" (the cheapest), it ran about $150.

Just did a quick faux rate check on Fedex from Civi (Rome port) to my home. For "international economy" (the cheapest), it ran about $150.

For some reason I couldn't get a FedEx rate, but UPS would charge me about $200 to ship my laptop from Amsterdam to my home in Fairbanks, AK. No thanks!

Did that include insurance for the full value of the item? I ask because a couple of years ago I was looking at sending a Zeiss lens (worth about $900) back to the Zeiss office in the US for adjustment. Shipping at FedEx basic rate did not include insurance for anything like the full value and additional insurance for full value added greatly to the cost of the shipping.