Possible Expansion of Electronics Ban

TiogaCruiser

Back to the original topic of this thread. The ban on laptops, tablets and related electronics has been taken off the table for now. It ain't happening.

Whew. That's good news. Unfortunately there are still some restrictions coming out of some Middle East countries on certain airlines but not on our itinerary.

Do the bans that are in place, or the ones that have been discussed include ipads or are they restricted to laptops? I have read conflicting data on this. We travel with carry on and one ipad each. Don't want to check our carry on or our ipad.

If ipads are included in the ban, or the tentative ban, I think that we would simply move to a smaller device, possibly a smart phone (which we do not currently travel with).

Do the bans that are in place, or the ones that have been discussed include ipads or are they restricted to laptops? I have read conflicting data on this. We travel with carry on and one ipad each.

The bans in place include tablets like iPads and Kindles. They also include cameras.

Or you can just get TMobile with free international data and text, $.20/minute phone and then use your phone just like you do in the US.

Yep! Love having T-Mo when I travel. I don't have to worry - unlimited data/text. And, no-charge for data/text/phone in Canada and Mexico. And, no charge for data/text on flights with GoGo wifi.

What a potential mess!

would you please be a tad more specific? is the mess with anything bigger than a smartphone and how to check them? Not being able to take a camera? Having an inferior international plan than T-Mo? (just joshing about the T-Mo)

Mess = cameras, Kindles, iPads and Business people's laptop! The economic damage from these restrictions should they come to pass. And TMobile does not have good service in my neck of the very rural woods ;)

Mess = cameras, Kindles, iPads and Business people's laptop! The economic damage from these restrictions should they come to pass. And TMobile does not have good service in my neck of the very rural woods ;)

It would be a mess. And while it is off the table for now it could back on the table.

T-Mobile is okay in my neighborhood but it is poor in many places I travel to around here and in the US. No way I would switch to them as their service is currently. I need US coverage more than International coverage. My AT&T plan also has unlimited Canada and Mexico. I will though buy the $10 per day AT&T International Day Pass when I need it overseas. That expense is in my personal comfort zone.

It would be a mess. And while it is off the table for now it could back on the table.

T-Mobile is okay in my neighborhood but it is poor in many places I travel to around here and in the US. No way I would switch to them as their service is currently. I need US coverage more than International coverage. My AT&T plan also has unlimited Canada and Mexico. I will though buy the $10 per day AT&T International Day Pass when I need it overseas. That expense is in my personal comfort zone.

All this worry for naught.

Here is a link to article saying U.S. may not ban laptops on flights from Europe.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/05/18/us-might-not-be-banning-laptops-on-flights-from-european-airport/22097215

All this worry for naught.

Here is a link to article saying U.S. may not ban laptops on flights from Europe.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/05/18/us-might-not-be-banning-laptops-on-flights-from-european-airport/22097215

Even though it is not on the table for now the worry is not and was not for naught. It was seriously considered and I don't trust the US government not to try and put a ban into effect at at some later date for travel from Europe. They have put a ban in place for flights from some Middle East countries.

Now, if we can get past the attitude of a couple of posters that somehow TSA workers are beneath subhuman and worthy of constant demeaning, because they don't make a lot of money....

Only the stupid and power hungry ones! Most are just regular people grateful for a paycheck, working in a business where everyone loves to hate them :(

Now, if we can get past the attitude of a couple of posters that somehow TSA workers are beneath subhuman and worthy of constant demeaning, because they don't make a lot of money....

Haven't seen that on this thread. Glad I missed it

If I were worried about losing my laptop and all the data on it, I would carry a flash drive (or was that also banned) containing the necessary data in case I had to replace the laptop during the trip. Shipping the laptop might be as expensive as an inexpensive laptop. All other non-essential data and pictures would, presumably have been backed up. Also, wouldn't a Cloud backup do the same thing as a flash drive? I don't use the Cloud so I am unfamiliar with it.

If I were worried about losing my laptop and all the data on it, I would carry a flash drive (or was that also banned) containing the necessary data in case I had to replace the laptop during the trip. Shipping the laptop might be as expensive as an inexpensive laptop. All other non-essential data and pictures would, presumably have been backed up. Also, wouldn't a Cloud backup do the same thing as a flash drive? I don't use the Cloud so I am unfamiliar with it.

I use SmugMug and shoot a fair amount of video, and my newer DSLR creates pretty large files for photos. It can take considerable bandwidth and time to upload at home. That simply would not be an option on the ship. Not sure how well it would work from a hotel, but I normally just want to get home after debarkation, because I'm DONE.😉

I always have a flash drive with me, although I don't back up as much as I should. But before I put my laptop or tablet into a checked bag, I would definitely back up all my new photos and files.