Turned off by some Breakaway reviews

Mustsea

We had the same experience on the Getaway last year. We were in the buffet all the time...just not when it was super crowded.
As I was reading through all the "reviews of Breakaway" on the review thread...I notice a pattern. It seems that a very negative review is negative with just about everything on the ship. That tells me that person is simply a negative person and or someone who is annoyed if everything does not go as planned or go their way. Then there were those who loved the ship.....that tells me that those people make the best out of things and don't let the small stuff ruin their good time. When reading reviews I tend to believe the complaints that come up all the time rather than a few people complaining about something. All in all....most of the reviews thought the food on the Breakaway was good if not better than most other ships.....including the buffet. I think majority rules! LOL

There are certain areas of the Breakaway that are just too small for the amount of passengers -- Atruim and pool.

We had a balcony cabin and were able to avoid the dreaded "chair hogs" by the pool.

Also, if you cannot get the reservations you want at shows or restaurants before you sail don't throw in the towel. Just go there in person once you are on the ship. We did that for the Cirque dinner/show the first night and discovered in the program a show time that never appeared on line! Same thing for Rock of Ages which we were able to see 2 times -- once with pre sailing reservation and other just asking at the box office.

What I am saying is check things out for yourself. You cannot believe what you see on-line as being "it". Nothing beats going in person and asking.

Cabin size was okay for 2 and there was lots of storage some of which you only discovered by being nosey and opening everything you saw.:D

MARAPRINCE

As I was reading through all the "reviews of Breakaway" on the review thread...I notice a pattern. It seems that a very negative review is negative with just about everything on the ship. That tells me that person is simply a negative person and or someone who is annoyed if everything does not go as planned or go their way. Then there were those who loved the ship.....that tells me that those people make the best out of things and don't let the small stuff ruin their good time. When reading reviews I tend to believe the complaints that come up all the time rather than a few people complaining about something. All in all....most of the reviews thought the food on the Breakaway was good if not better than most other ships.....including the buffet. I think majority rules! LOL

We sailed BA and in the Haven and still really not too fond of her. I will say the buffet was one of the best, if not the best, we've had on NCL.

Last I checked, if Bill De Blasio isn't your mayor, you're not from NYC

I was born in NYC...lived here my whole life....and plan on dying here.

I live walking distance to the dock.

I've been on the BA as well as other ships, all sailing out of NYC.

And, from my observations, I rarely meet people from NYC

It's almost all NJ, LI, CT.....

So, if you're going to malign people, at least give the correct place of residency.

Thank you :)

I'm also a native New Yorker, and I'm nothing but kind to my fellow pax and crew. As a matter of fact, it was a gentleman from another state who snapped at me after I kindly held the elevator for him last time we were on the Breakaway. Another passenger who identified herself as being from central PA who made a very rude remark to me upon finding out that my DH and I (mid 30's) don't go to bed at 1am like her. You're going to find rude behavior regardless of where someone is from in this world.

I'm also a native New Yorker, and I'm nothing but kind to my fellow pax and crew. As a matter of fact, it was a gentleman from another state who snapped at me after I kindly held the elevator for him last time we were on the Breakaway. Another passenger who identified herself as being from central PA who made a very rude remark to me upon finding out that my DH and I (mid 30's) don't go to bed at 1am like her. You're going to find rude behavior regardless of where someone is from in this world.

When we were on the POA we only met three groups of rude and complaining people, all were proud to be from NJ. Just sayin'

I'm going on my fourth cruise on the Breakaway this Sunday. This will be my second time in the Haven, but I had a great time on the two trips outside of the Haven. I wouldn't even have gotten the Haven this time if I didn't get it on a low upgrade bid.

This will be my first time going in the summer when school is out, although I did go over Thanksgiving one year. Yes, the pool is butts to nuts, but I tend to avoid cruise ship pools. The crowds really didn't bother me. I never missed a meal. I've eaten in all the specialty restaurants. I don't see any attitude, New York or other, from the pax. I really enjoy the entertainment, and not just in the main theater. I really like the lounge entertainment and Howl at the Moon. I've never had a service issue. I really enjoy the crew. If not in the Haven then I definitely recommend trying to score a Vibe pass. You can always find a lounger there and there are two hot tubs that are not crowded.

Please share what and why she thought she had a right to question your not staying up until 1am?

Unbelievable she thought she should even have an opinion but I'm thinking that her comment had something to do with your private lives. I understand if you don't want to divulge what she said but I'm dumbfounded anyone would remake about your bedtime...rude or otherwise

I don't think I've ever been up later than 11 on any cruise I've taken however I would have loved her to comment to me about that little tidbit

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Please share what and why she thought she had a right to question your not staying up until 1am?

Unbelievable she thought she should even have an opinion but I'm thinking that her comment had something to do with your private lives. I understand if you don't want to divulge what she said but I'm dumbfounded anyone would remake about your bedtime...rude or otherwise

I don't think I've ever been up later than 11 on any cruise I've taken however I would have loved her to comment to me about that little tidbit

It was around 10pm and we were in the Atrium. Her and her guy (couldn't tell if married) asked if they could sit next to us on the couch since the room was packed, and we obliged. We chatted back and forth for a few minutes. I forgot what her exact words were, but when I remarked to my DH that I was surprised we were still up seeing as I'm usually "in bed by 9:30 with a book" she said "WHAAAAAT? AND HOW OLD ARE YOU!" When I told her I'm 35 and he's 33, she continued on with how that's kind of sad, that she's in bed by 1, 2am. I told her I'm usually up at 5/5:30 every morning, and it's normal to be tired. There was silence afterwards, and a minute or two later then got up to leave. All in all, it was a very unusual encounter, and only afterwards did I realize she was being a little too forward and rude with me. I was tired, after all, so I didn't think much of it until a proper night's sleep. :confused:

It was around 10pm and we were in the Atrium. Her and her guy (couldn't tell if married) asked if they could sit next to us on the couch since the room was packed, and we obliged. We chatted back and forth for a few minutes. I forgot what her exact words were, but when I remarked to my DH that I was surprised we were still up seeing as I'm usually "in bed by 9:30 with a book" she said "WHAAAAAT? AND HOW OLD ARE YOU!" When I told her I'm 35 and he's 33, she continued on with how that's kind of sad, that she's in bed by 1, 2am. I told her I'm usually up at 5/5:30 every morning, and it's normal to be tired. There was silence afterwards, and a minute or two later then got up to leave. All in all, it was a very unusual encounter, and only afterwards did I realize she was being a little too forward and rude with me. I was tired, after all, so I didn't think much of it until a proper night's sleep. :confused:

You should have said that you and dh just love to spend as much time as possible in bed together lol

However....She wasn't really all that bad in what she said to you. once years ago when I was nicely walking with my 4 well behaved kids I was told I had too many kids

Oh and then there was the time I was lectured by a total stranger in the mall because I was wearing sandals in October. Um ok

I actually don't mind these encounters because I'm very very quick with appropriate responses

You should be a fly on the wall when the telemarketers call and try to scam me. Lol

You should have said that you and dh just love to spend as much time as possible in bed together lol

However....She wasn't really all that bad in what she said to you. once years ago when I was nicely walking with my 4 well behaved kids I was told I had too many kids

Oh and then there was the time I was lectured by a total stranger in the mall because I was wearing sandals in October. Um ok

I actually don't mind these encounters because I'm very very quick with appropriate responses

You should be a fly on the wall when the telemarketers call and try to scam me. Lol

Now I wish I said that to her! 😂 Can't believe the audacity of some strangers on number of children or footwear.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

We did the BA to Bermuda last September. What I loved best about being a Haven guest was bypassing the long lines to get on and off the ship. BUT, I'm pretty sure everyone in that chaotic line did actually get on board the ship; it just took a little while longer!

There were areas where the smoke permeated non smoking areas, which I disliked, but it really didn't take long to make your way through to fresh air. It wasn't like I was trying to enjoy a meal at a restaurant and couldn't because of the smoke.

Buffets and public areas were often crowded at certain peak times, but if it was really important to you to be there at those times, you could wait or get there a little earlier. It was never a problem for us.

Loved the ship,and would gladly sail her again. Bermuda is my favorite cruise destination.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I loved this ship. I was reluctant to try NCL because of the reviews. My best guess is that the complainers did not make plans and reservations for free style cruising. Although, I would have had a great time even without the reservations I made before leaving home. Yes the sun deck was crowded (it is on all ships) I don't like the sun.

The city people are generally used to crowds and less likely to be rude! Yes I'm from North Central PA (hope I'm not rude) I never ask personal questions and always excuse my self.

DH is in a wheelchair (has Parkinson's and dementia) People were very kind to us. The crew was very helpful.

The food was the best we ever had on a cruise ship. It was very easy to get around the ship. Everything we wanted was easily accessible.

Listen I've been on that ship three times and had a great time!! There are crowds in some places, but what mega cruise ship doesn't have crowds? You make your own great time! People complaining about getting on & off, what about the rest of the cruise?Just go and enjoy!!!

Last cruise was on the Breakaway. I had a great time. I was a suite guest in the Haven. While that was great... I prefer the non Haven suites on the Dawn. I personally feel the service is more personal. No Haven on Dawn, but they do have a spa area. I am a Dawn fan I guess and am biased. But the Breakaway is a big beautiful ship with a lot of activities available. I did not see any reason for complaints. NCL delivers a great product at a reasonable price IMO. The Breakaway is no exception.

My wife and I cruised to Bermuda on the BA a few years ago. We had a Vibe pass and loved it. We just booked a Spa Balcony on a 14 day cruise for February. Hopefully it will be just as great

I've been on the Breakaway 3 times, and I have to say I'm not impressed with the ship. I MUCH prefer the Gem, even though it's older it was better designed, and had a much better PAX to Crew ratio.

That being said, I've just about had it with NCL in general, I'm taking a much needed break from them to try some other lines.