Travelling to Cuba

uktog

I am interested in the experiences of guests who have visited Cuba with Azamara and also any official information that Bonnie might have to give as further explanation to the online Q and A re Cuba I have already read on Azamara's site.

We had been looking forward to visiting some smaller Caribbean islands next year as part of a b2b holiday however we discovered yesterday that our second cruise has been radically altered to be a Cuba intensive. We are UK citizens who can visit Cuba without restriction but we understand as we would be visiting via the US we are subject to restrictions and visa costs. (something Azamara did not cover in the letter they sent us about the change)

My question is if I do not want to go on a ships tour can I get off the ship still and DIY or make arrangements with a reputable local provider. I understand that for Americans any shore visit has to be for one of twelve reasons and having a leisurely day at a beach is not one of them! Now I will not want to beach every day but I do not want seven days of talk talk guiding on what was supposed to be a relaxing cruise. (I also had not bargained on the additional costs of cruise line excursions but that is another issue).

I am just trying to get a sense of how restricted we will be as part of my final decision making process - we have until early June to cancel or not.

Ann

I walked off the ship both days and did my own thing. I had planned on needing a guide the first day due to being an American. Did no ships tours in Havana. i did not need the guise as i would of found everything on my own. Going to see Hemmingway's house is a waste. You can not go in it. I taxi to and from a dinner show at night.. You do not have to buy the dinner. It has to be pre paid. You do need local money.

As far as the other ports which i have been to-you might need a ships tour as all spread out. I did both a land tour and a ships tour this year. there is a form to fill out that makes me laugh. when i got my boarding pass they were collected but no one on ship seemed to care where you went.

ships tours are over price and only the walking tour is worth from what i was told. That helps with history- you can eat off ship but will need TP for bathrooms.. i even went into hotels for bathrooms as they are lovely.

the Visa $75 at this point. leavign the ship they take a picture of you and you must carry passport non stop. not a big deal.

I hope that someone at AZ will answer whether, and if so, when there will be an Azamazing Night on the November 20th cruise from Miami to Miami - as I hate to make a non-refundable reservation for the one night we have in Havana only to find that AZ has scheduled it for that evening!

Ann

I walked off the ship both days and did my own thing. I had planned on needing a guide the first day due to being an American. Did no ships tours in Havana. i did not need the guise as i would of found everything on my own. Going to see Hemmingway's house is a waste. You can not go in it. I taxi to and from a dinner show at night.. You do not have to buy the dinner. It has to be pre paid. You do need local money.

As far as the other ports which i have been to-you might need a ships tour as all spread out. I did both a land tour and a ships tour this year. there is a form to fill out that makes me laugh. when i got my boarding pass they were collected but no one on ship seemed to care where you went.

ships tours are over price and only the walking tour is worth from what i was told. That helps with history- you can eat off ship but will need TP for bathrooms.. i even went into hotels for bathrooms as they are lovely.

the Visa $75 at this point. leavign the ship they take a picture of you and you must carry passport non stop. not a big deal.

Was this with Azamara?

Was this with Azamara?

Yes, We were on the same cruise to Cuba as Robin. We booked a private tour before we left the UK, the guide met us outside the terminal and we had a lovely drive in a 50's Plymouth to the Vinales Valley leaving at 9.30 and arriving back at 6.30pm.

On our second day we walked off the ship and strolled around Havana. Azamara sorted the visa beforehand for us. Take GBP or Euro, easier to change than dollars and you get a better rate.

Yes, We were on the same cruise to Cuba as Robin. We booked a private tour before we left the UK, the guide met us outside the terminal and we had a lovely drive in a 50's Plymouth to the Vinales Valley leaving at 9.30 and arriving back at 6.30pm.

On our second day we walked off the ship and strolled around Havana. Azamara sorted the visa beforehand for us. Take GBP or Euro, easier to change than dollars and you get a better rate.

That is encouraging to hear. How did you find the private guide? Is there a link you can post?

Was this with Azamara?

sorry I was gone all afternoon and evening.. second trip was with the ship.

I hope that someone at AZ will answer whether, and if so, when there will be an Azamazing Night on the November 20th cruise from Miami to Miami - as I hate to make a non-refundable reservation for the one night we have in Havana only to find that AZ has scheduled it for that evening!

I think I rather go to a show in Havana or just wander around vs a planned event. I hear the Euro was better. i have not brought any here to bring in the past. Just make sure the are new bills and small amounts.

That is encouraging to hear. How did you find the private guide? Is there a link you can post?

Hu uktog, we used Havanacar, we found him via tripadvisor, TP shows it as number 1 of 19 Transportation in Havana. The trip to Vinales was a long drive, about 2.5 hrs, we stopped at Soroa Botanical Gardens for a break on the way there. In Vinales we had a lovely boat ride through a cave and visited a Tobacco plantation, but the guide, Hugo, would have taken us to many more places if we had wanted to extend the day further. For 4 of us it was 200 euro on the day and paid $70US in advance. I have to say the car was 'interesting' and the journey reminded us of many trips we have made over Kenyan roads! If you have an email address we can send you more details, or you can see our review on TP under Rosesteve

Edited by Azamarajunkie
spelling

I have just posted a reply on the other thread, "where have the March 2018 cruises gone", about our experience with Azamara in Cuba.

We had a lovely time in Cuba and would highly recommend it as a destination. It's just a shame that in this situation you don't get to choose your destination and feel as though it is forced upon you which, to me anyway, left a bad taste and rather upset the anticipation of a long awaited and much prepared for holiday. But all is forgotten once you are away and you can enjoy each port of call for its own merits, and Havana has many!

I'm sure that if you decide to continue with your booking you will enjoy all that Cuba has to offer, I would certainly look forward to a return visit, just not with Azamara!

I have just posted a reply on the other thread, "where have the March 2018 cruises gone", about our experience with Azamara in Cuba.

We had a lovely time in Cuba and would highly recommend it as a destination. It's just a shame that in this situation you don't get to choose your destination and feel as though it is forced upon you which, to me anyway, left a bad taste and rather upset the anticipation of a long awaited and much prepared for holiday. But all is forgotten once you are away and you can enjoy each port of call for its own merits, and Havana has many!

I'm sure that if you decide to continue with your booking you will enjoy all that Cuba has to offer, I would certainly look forward to a return visit, just not with Azamara!

Thanks countrygirl. We sure in the same situation as you. Our cruise has been changed to Cuba and we are not too happy about it. We too were unaware of the impending visa charges. Azamara have not mentioned this in their letter to us and as Brits we just assumed there would be no charge.

I'm glad to hear you had a good time in the end. Where was your Azamara evening held?

Going to see Hemmingway's house is a waste. You can not go in it.

Ann, We went to Hemingway's house as part of a holiday/tour last May. Although you can't actually enter the rooms, all the doorways are open and you can peer inside easily. We found it very interesting.

Ann, We went to Hemingway's house as part of a holiday/tour last May. Although you can't actually enter the rooms, all the doorways are open and you can peer inside easily. We found it very interesting.

Agree. Not a "waste" at all. And the ship's excursions were fine. Much to be learned from the guides about life in Cuba.

We were not Cuba intensive so our Azamazing evening was held in New Orleans, another story altogether as it was supposed to be a beach party in Mexico with Barry White jnr but altered due to itinerary changes!

I am not the best ambassador for Azamara at present; they have let us down two years running which is why we will not trust them with our holiday plans for the foreseeable future.

We were not Cuba intensive so our Azamazing evening was held in New Orleans, another story altogether as it was supposed to be a beach party in Mexico with Barry White jnr but altered due to itinerary changes!

I am not the best ambassador for Azamara at present; they have let us down two years running which is why we will not trust them with our holiday plans for the foreseeable future.

Even being on the above cruise I never pre book the evening. I skipped it to stay in the city and wander around. Barry White was great last year. Not sure If I want the same two years running.