In yourr opinion,with some the problems with alcohol ,should drink package be stoped?

If you've been on a ship with the robot bar, why do we have to tip the robots. They don't have kids at home to feed[emoji23]. Just lightening things up folks. As long as my group can bring on 2 bottles of wine per room I won't buy the package.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Mac,

Looks like we are Atlanta neighbors.

I, personally, love the offering of drink packages. I have been on only one cruise that I have been able to take advantage of it but will be on another two this year and will purchase it. I admittedly drink more on cruises than I normally do and love being able to try new things. But, like others have said, I have never seen obnoxious behavior. Maybe the cruise lines have given awesome training and the staff puts this to rest before any of the other passengers have to be exposed to it. I think if someone wants to get THAT drunk, they will, regardless of the drink package and if 80-90% of the people who buy it aren't abusing it, I don't think it would be fair to take it away for someone else's bad behavior.

Hi, my Atlanta amigo :)

I agree with you, in the fact that MOST should not be punished for the sins of the few who either will NOT or chose NOT too control their drinking by thinking,' Hey !! I PAID X amount of dollars for this daily package AND I AM on vacation, so let ME decide just how much I wanna drink'. Those are the people, who do the things that can spoil a cruise by misbehaving, fighting, or throwing up in public. :( I also worry about those under the age who might wonder, 'Is this the way an adult is supposed too act?' I was an deputy sheriff for ten years for a local county so I'm no stranger to just how much alcohol can change a normal, gentle human INTO The incredible 'human' Hulk, who decides HE can fight the entire security team. Many times I've seen deputies literally subdue a drunk, who was furious at being arrested because HE was so drunk he wasn't even aware he was driving on the wrong side of the road. Then the next morning, he asked me, 'WHY was I arrested, and why AM I so sore??'. Hopefully those are the people (I mentioned above) that the ship's staff can cut off BEFORE they become a problem. I just know SOME will NEVER admit they've had 'enough' to drink and demand MORE. :(

mAC

I agree with you, in the fact that MOST should not be punished for the sins of the few who either will NOT or chose NOT too control their drinking by thinking,' Hey !! I PAID X amount of dollars for this daily package AND I AM on vacation, so let ME decide just how much I wanna drink'. Those are the people, who do the things that can spoil a cruise by misbehaving, fighting, or throwing up in public. :( I also worry about those under the age who might wonder, 'Is this the way an adult is supposed too act?' I was an deputy sheriff for ten years for a local county so I'm no stranger to just how much alcohol can change a normal, gentle human INTO The incredible 'human' Hulk, who decides HE can fight the entire security team. Many times I've seen deputies literally subdue a drunk, who was furious at being arrested because HE was so drunk he wasn't even aware he was driving on the wrong side of the road. Then the next morning, he asked me, 'WHY was I arrested, and why AM I so sore??'. Hopefully those are the people (I mentioned above) that the ship's staff can cut off BEFORE they become a problem. I just know SOME will NEVER admit they've had 'enough' to drink and demand MORE. :(

mAC

Can you please explain to the rest of us, how exactly do you know they paid for the alcohol package AND how you know that they would not have done the same exact thing at home? Or at Disney World.

mAC

There is nothing worse then an ex drinker who finds the need to chastise current drinkers. Of course you saw a lot of drunks if your job was in law enforcement. Geez. I'm guessing you see more thieves and drug users too. Is everyone who dresses provocatively a prostitute because you know, as a deputy that was what you saw. Do you see drug addicts around every corner?

Give it a break. CLEARLY you have a problem with alcohol. You've taken this problem and are spending a lot of time complaining about WHAT IFs. What is the saying? I think you protestest too much. I mean you are now comparing cruise passengers to felons you arrest.

I'm just happy I have my drink package already purchased... one day I might drink lightly and another I may drink into oblivion.... both cases I'm allowed :)

I do not think there is a problem here ... with well over 50 cruises on 9 different lines... only once did feel someone had too much to drink... and that had nothing to do with packages.

I'm just happy I have my drink package already purchased... one day I might drink lightly and another I may drink into oblivion.... both cases I'm allowed :)

Not in the universe some of our fellow CC's want to play God in.:rolleyes:

GOD is that you????

I have a couple questions..

1- Why the platypus?

2- What is the meaning of life?

3-If you go the speed of light in your car.. and you turn your car lights on.. does anything happen?

Oh.. also can I get the drink package??

mAC

You seem to spend a lot of time worrying about others' behavior. Is there an actual problem? Or are you just imagining what might happen someday someplace and oh my God some one not of age might see that people drink and that some people drink too much? Really, what is the issue here? There are people who eat too much at the buffet, there are people who order multiple entrees at dinner followed by multiple deserts, there are chair hogs and people who spend too much time in the sun and probably will die of skin cancer 50 or 100 years from now, there are people who cut into line in order to be on the first tender, there are people who drink to excess, some of those may cause a public fuss, some of those probably were paying by the drink, some probably had a drinks package. So what? Are you on a crusade to control others' behavior to fit your preconceptions of what is proper behavior? Have you actually witnessed and/or been involved in an incident with someone who consumed too much food or drink? If so, do you think that one (?) incident is indicative of all passengers on all cruise ships on all cruise lines in all parts of the world? I just don't get your point.

Stan

We never buy the drink package. Not worth it for us but we see no reason why it should be discontinued if there is a demand.

Those who overindulge will do so with or without the drink package.

Bu we are in the MYOB tent. From our perspective there are already enough busybodies who feel that the world should dress and do as they do. We live in a different world.

GOD is that you????

I have a couple questions..

1- Why the platypus?

2- What is the meaning of life?

3-If you go the speed of light in your car.. and you turn your car lights on.. does anything happen?

Oh.. also can I get the drink package??

Why the Platypus? What a silly question, to confuse the rest of the world obviously.

mAC

That SOME will NEVER admit they've had 'enough' to drink is a very poor reason to limit what OTHERS are allowed to do. As I've said and as others have said if someone is a heavy drinker (or even an irresponsible drinker) then they are going to be that whether they have a package or not. They'll buy as many drinks as they wish or they will smuggle the booze onboard or whatever. From the empirical evidence presented in this thread it appears that a super majority of people with (or without) drink packages do drink responsibly.

OP took more then a dozen cruises and never personally observed an issue with passengers drinking. OP stopped drinking 5 years ago. Could he be jealous the free drink packages offered by cruise lines weren't generally available when he was drinking.

:')

As others have said, if people want to drink to excess, they're going to do it whether they have a drink package or not. And there will always be a few people who don't know their own limits. Better they do it somewhere where they won't be driving and there's help nearby. I was in a bar at an all inclusive resort and a fight broke out, and security had it broken up in about a minute. It managed to not ruin my entire vacation, thankfully ;).

I drink but I'm really past the point in my life where I want to be more than a little tipsy, and with all the free drink promotions out now, I'd probably still choose the drink package on a cruise. It's nice to not have any surprises at the end when cruising is a rare luxury, and on the NCL cruises I've looked at, the other promotions just aren't as appealing to me. Even when I cruised pregnant and wasn't drinking at all, I managed to run up a fair sized bill on mocktails and non-alcoholic beer. There's nothing like a daiquiri by the pool in the middle of the Caribbean, even if it's virgin.

People with actual alcohol problems are concerning, and I hope they can find help, but I just don't see how limiting drink packages​ would solve that. Alcohol abuse is a much bigger problem, and so much more complex. Policing behavior won't fix it.

I think u all are giving the OP wayyyyy too much credit on this

He is a fire starter... that's about it... started a ridiculous thread and let the fire burn and burn!!

Love it!! Almost as much as platypuses