Itinerary suggestion for Freedom of the Seas, June 18, San Juan

I am down to 1 of 2 cruises. Looking for some insight if possible please.

This is our first RCL cruise. We have sailed on 2 Carnival cruises previously. We enjoy self booked thrill excursions (jet skis, dune buggies, ATV's) as well as relaxing beach days. Snorkeling really isn't one of our favorite things to do, we would rather just swim or do something else. We LOVE hiking, if there is an option.....

Option 1:

Freedom of the Seas

June 2, 2018

Port: San Juan

Sat Jun 2, San Juan, Puerto Rico

Sun Jun 3, Philipsburg (St. Maarten), Netherlands Antilles

Mon Jun 4, Basseterre, St. Kitts & Nevis

Tue Jun 5, St John's, Antigua and Barbuda

Wed Jun 6, Castries, St. Lucia

Thu Jun 7, Bridgetown, Barbados

Fri Jun 8, At Sea

Sat Jun 9, San Juan, Puerto Rico

Option 2:

Freedom of the Seas

June 9, 2018

Port: San Juan

Sat Jun 9, San Juan, Puerto Rico

Sun Jun 10, Charlotte Amalie (St Thomas) US Virgin Islands

Mon Jun 11, At Sea

Tue Jun 12, Willemstad (Curacao), Netherlands Antilles

Wed Jun 13, Oranjestad, Aruba

Thu Jun 14, At Sea

Fri Jun 15, Basseterre, St. Kitts & Nevis

Sat Jun 16, San Juan, Puerto Rico

I am actually sailing Option 1 (June 23). I originally wanted Option 2 for Aruba, Curacao and (when first published) Bonnaire. But then they switched out Bonnaire for St. Thomas and I really don't like St. Thomas so I ended up back on Option 1. Either option is a really good choice, and the Freedom is a great ship so you really can't go wrong!

You can't go wrong with either of those. I'm booked on the Adventure doing essentially your Option #2 itinerary for February. Typically we opt for the more port-intensive itineraries (more like your Option #1) because we prefer more ports to more sea days. However, our last two cruises were on the Jewel out of San Juan, so we've pretty much done all those islands recently. The Option #2 itinerary offers some places we've either not visited or have not been to in a very long time. You would be happy with either.

My advice is to pace yourselves if you choose Option #1, as you have no sea days until the end. I personally LIKE that sort of itinerary, but the first time I did it I tried to do too much every day and it was exhausting! I was falling asleep at dinner every night! I've learned to alternate my excursions to allow some RESTFUL choices as opposed to all high-energy choices. The beauty of Option #2 is the placement of the sea days. Putting them in the middle to regroup is really nice.

So... you have #1 St. Lucia, Barbados, and Antigua or #2 A + C - B.

Hmmm. If you are a scuba diver, the alphabet A + C - B is probably your default choice. Although, I think Bonaire is the king for scuba in those 3 and you'll miss that one.

St. Thomas and St. Maarten are essentially a wash, unless you haven't been to one of them. They are very different in culture, but fundamentally, they are very similar in what you can do there.

This isn't helpful, but it's probably just a personal gut feeling type of decision. They aren't remarkably different choices.

The wife and I spent a week in St. Thomas a few years ago and loved it. Our daughter (14) is traveling with us on this cruise. We originally wanted to take her back to St. Thomas and visit The Baths, but forgot how far they were away from St. Thomas. Since that excursion is not possible, we can get nice beaches and shopping anywhere, as poncho alluded to.

We don't scuba or care for snorkeling. So that is not a concern.

I completely agree with pacing yourself when it comes to excursions, which is what I will do for sure. "Beach days" are a must, along with thrilling excursions in between......

Option 1 is about $150 cheaper than Option 2. So basically a wash.

Thank you for the replies!

Since you are into hiking, in my opinion the best hiking is on St. Kitts and St. Lucia, where you can hike up volcanic trails through lush greenery and rain forests. Aruba and Curacao are arid and pretty flat. Option 1 gives you the best hiking (but not St. Thomas).