London Heathrow security screening and elevated terror threat level to Critical

hpeabody

Is anyone aware of any additional steps or changes to the security screening procedure for travelers to the US since the terror threat level has been elevated to Critical. I have been looking on the internet and really can not find anything specific so far, so I am asking here. Maybe there will be CCers who have been through Heathrow recently, or will be soon and will see this thread. I did consider the Britain forum, but I don't think it will get viewed much there. So I hope they leave it here.

Is anyone aware of any additional steps or changes to the security screening procedure for travelers to the US since the terror threat level has been elevated to Critical. I have been looking on the internet and really can not find anything specific so far, so I am asking here. Maybe there will be CCers who have been through Heathrow recently, or will be soon and will see this thread. I did consider the Britain forum, but I don't think it will get viewed much there. So I hope they leave it here.

I find nothing in the British press about changes at Heathrow due to the enhanced threat level.

Not sure what it has to do with Princess. FAR, FAR more relevant on the British Isles board...

Didn't realise we had a separate board. Anyway lots of American passengers travel through London on cruises. So it should be on this board.

Not sure what it has to do with Princess. FAR, FAR more relevant on the British Isles board...

Perhaps because most travelers from the US taking a Princess British Isles cruse have to fly into London Heathrow. Yes we do have a Cruise Air board but the Princess board is far more active and with friendlier advise.

I'm leaving for England in a few weeks and have been watching LHR and BA web sites for any updates about a secondary level of security, similar to what I experience a number of years ago leaving LHR for a return to Boston. So far, nothing, but I know it can change and am prepared to deal with it. My sister was in Amsterdam last month and encountered the multi level security for her return trip to the states - and it did take close to 3 hours from check in to getting to her gate for departure.

I anticipate some restrictions on electronics in the cabin, though I would hate to not have access to my Kindle during the flight. Maybe it will be limited to lap tops or larger ipads, but first they need to set up the security system for multi level checks and how to deal with business flyers who "need" electronics.

Sad we have to live with this need for security. I still remember visiting the air traffic control tower at Boston Logan Airport [school field trip] and meeting friends and family as they got off a plane, as they walked down the steps!

Darcy

My Mum flew back into Heathrow from Uganda (Via Brussels) on Tuesday and for those coming in to the uk (including british nationals) it took a lot longer than normal to get through Customs, they spent more time checking each passport etc. Leaving Brussels also took longer as it was a proper pat down if you set off the detectors, bless her at 71 with 2 replacement knees she always sets them off but the security officers were very kind and thorough checking her down. they were also very strict about checking hand luggage and she said that lots was being hand checked after scanning etc. She was quite confused at the time as she had flown overnight from Uganda and hadn't seen the news at that point....but more than happy to be checked a dozen time if required for safety, as I'm sure we all are.

We live near London Luton Airport and there has been a marked increase in police in the local area around the airport too.

I wouldn't expect to see many changes other than, on arrival clearing immigration might take a little longer due to enhanced entry checks.

There's no new restriction on taking electronic devices on board at present and this was last agreed a few weeks ago between the EU and USA.

Heathrow is prettily heavily guarded with armed police at the best of times, expect this to continue but supplemented by army officers; especially outside the secure zones (such as the entrance, approach roads and public spaces).

I would doubt you'd notice much difference at the airport to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums