Does anyone watch BELOW DECK?

When I read that the crew and possibly the passengers on Below Deck were actors, I had to check it out. So, with the "news" about Kate Chastain (Head "Stew" on Below Deck Caribbean), I found that she is not an actress but actually started working on a yacht in an entry level position and worked her way up. I suspect that, due to union rules, people on television must go through an agency that some actors go through. Kate is clearly not an actor and I do not believe that the rest are either. What I do believe is that some situations are set up but the reactions to the situations are real (i.e. not scripted). Just watching these reality show folks make me realize that they could not memorize a script if they wanted to.

I am so interested in this subject that I bought Kate's book online at Amazon.com (only $5.95). So far she has graduated college - not sure what she would do but did not want a 9 to 5 job. She has just started her first job on a yacht. I will definitely find this book of interest. So, for those of you who don't believe that "reality" shows are not at least partly reality, may want to check your facts. Actually, I would welcome information on the background on some of the major crew member on the yachts.

When I read that the crew and possibly the passengers on Below Deck were actors, I had to check it out. So, with the "news" about Kate Chastain (Head "Stew" on Below Deck Caribbean), I found that she is not an actress but actually started working on a yacht in an entry level position and worked her way up. I suspect that, due to union rules, people on television must go through an agency that some actors go through. Kate is clearly not an actor and I do not believe that the rest are either. What I do believe is that some situations are set up but the reactions to the situations are real (i.e. not scripted). Just watching these reality show folks make me realize that they could not memorize a script if they wanted to.

I am so interested in this subject that I bought Kate's book online at Amazon.com (only $5.95). So far she has graduated college - not sure what she would do but did not want a 9 to 5 job. She has just started her first job on a yacht. I will definitely find this book of interest. So, for those of you who don't believe that "reality" shows are not at least partly reality, may want to check your facts. Actually, I would welcome information on the background on some of the major crew member on the yachts.

You're kidding, right? Not scripted???? Their apparent inability to memorize a script convinced you, hey???

Wow!

So, for those of you who don't believe that "reality" shows are not at least partly reality, may want to check your facts.

Check our facts? Seriously? Ok, humor me. Provide me with a link or a reference to these "facts" you speak of. Because as I stated earlier in this thread, I have actually been on a reality show, and I have friends who have been on or are filming in a couple other reality shows (Bachelorette and American Pickers).

Do you have any idea what goes into television production? Ever wonder how they have multiple camera angles, but there are almost never cameras in the background? Does it really make sense to you that some Joe off the street would walk into a pawn shop to pawn a million dollar rare item...and magically, that person is already mic'd up? Does it really make sense to you that the exact same people are always bidding on storage containers, or how the obvious trouble makers always seem to stick around for several weeks on the Bachelor/Bachelorette? Does it really make sense that on the house shopping shows, they always pick one of the 3 houses? Think about it. This stuff is not real.

But still, I'm open to reading these "facts," so please give me some links. :)

Check our facts? Seriously? Ok, humor me. Provide me with a link or a reference to these "facts" you speak of. Because as I stated earlier in this thread, I have actually been on a reality show, and I have friends who have been on or are filming in a couple other reality shows (Bachelorette and American Pickers).

Do you have any idea what goes into television production? Ever wonder how they have multiple camera angles, but there are almost never cameras in the background? Does it really make sense to you that some Joe off the street would walk into a pawn shop to pawn a million dollar rare item...and magically, that person is already mic'd up? Does it really make sense to you that the exact same people are always bidding on storage containers, or how the obvious trouble makers always seem to stick around for several weeks on the Bachelor/Bachelorette? Does it really make sense that on the house shopping shows, they always pick one of the 3 houses? Think about it. This stuff is not real.

But still, I'm open to reading these "facts," so please give me some links. :)

Aquahound, don't you have some worthless swamp land down in Louisiana that you would like to unload?

Pssst. I think we've found you a buyer.:D

For some reason, the "Real Housewives" always seem to plan trips. For some lucky stroke, they are always met by a member of the hotel's E-Team, given a welcome speech, get a special performance by the local talent. Then, they start to behave like barbarians. And, surprisingly, we never see Security telling the ladies to mellow out or stop their screaming, or kick them out when they start fighting in the hallways. Had The Bachelor film at one of my hotels once. What a crock. NOTHING was spontaneous, it was all scheduled out.

Then, you've got them talking on the "after shows" that someone isn't happy that their "storyline" isn't as big as they wanted... The shows aren't scripted word-for-word, but they are scripted from the standpoint of the situations are set up.

For some reason, the "Real Housewives" always seem to plan trips. For some lucky stroke, they are always met by a member of the hotel's E-Team, given a welcome speech, get a special performance by the local talent. Then, they start to behave like barbarians. And, surprisingly, we never see Security telling the ladies to mellow out or stop their screaming, or kick them out when they start fighting in the hallways. Had The Bachelor film at one of my hotels once. What a crock. NOTHING was spontaneous, it was all scheduled out.

Then, you've got them talking on the "after shows" that someone isn't happy that their "storyline" isn't as big as they wanted... The shows aren't scripted word-for-word, but they are scripted from the standpoint of the situations are set up.

I have always thought the vacations on Real Housewives are very convenient! I am sure Bravo pays for the trips as they all go somewhere new every season, and sometimes multiple trips per season!

Firstly, this thread is about Below Deck - not all of the other shows that people are bringing up. Also, I did NOT say that the show isn't "staged" (multiple camera shots, etc.) I said that they were not scripted. There is a huge difference (raised in Hollywood, my daughter has worked in the entertainment industry for 15 years). The point of my previous post was that at least one main character on Below Deck Caribbean is NOT an actress. Also, the Captain is a Captain - not an actor. So, whomever said that the crew and passengers are all actors was not accurate.

Since I am reading Kate Chastain's book, I'll learn more (from her perspective) about the filming of that particular show. Not sure if anyone saw Bobby and the " head stew" from Below Deck Med.'s interview on the internet but they sounded the same as they do on the show. Now someone will likely say that the interview was scripted as well. Perhaps what I am posting is scripted too. You never know:evilsmile:

Travelcat2 - You can't be serious. Please tell me you don't honestly believe it's not scripted. Do you also believe that a Nigerian prince wants to give you his fortune? I'm selling a tower in Paris. Let me know if you're interested.

The point of my previous post was that at least one main character on Below Deck Caribbean is NOT an actress. Also, the Captain is a Captain - not an actor. So, whomever said that the crew and passengers are all actors was not accurate.

So you would argus that when Jimmy Stewart played a pilot in a movie he as NOT an actor because he had previously been a pilot?

An actor is someone who plays a part - regardless of his/her previous line of work. If you are willing to acknowledge that the guests in the episodes are actors: that they are paid to appear, and not charterers who pay to be on the yacht, you must recognize that what you are seeing is a show, and not a real-life charter.

The fact that the skipper and the chief steward previously did those jobs in real life does not mean that they cannot later be actors.

Back to the original question....Yes, I watch Below Deck & have watched from the beginning. I don't over think, but just enjoy mindless entertainment at times.

Mindless entertainment is relaxing - and there is nothing wrong with enjoying it. What is concerning is when people accept such mindless material as real life are able to vote.

Oh, it's ok. I guess there's worse things in life than believing a reality tv show is actually real. Let 'em believe it if they're so insistent. After all, the industry relies on those people. ;)

Back to the original question....Yes, I watch Below Deck & have watched from the beginning. I don't over think, but just enjoy mindless entertainment at times.

I must admit that I also watch mindless entertainment sometimes......

..... every election cycle.

:D

Agree with the posters that simply enjoy mindless entertainment. I really don't care who has been on a reality show (unless it was Below Deck) as it has no bearing on my enjoyment.

Still waiting for Kate to sign onto the show (still speaking about Below Deck which is the subject and I am speaking of her book). In the book, she is now on the 2nd yacht as a 3rd "Stew" (after being fired for her first job ....... no - it really wasn't her fault). The book is more mindless entertainment. She is quite an interesting character (but is not an actor - just a young woman that graduated college and had no clue what yachting was all about). I look forward to her adventures!