Hiking in Alaska

Rabbitwoman

leaving next week for Alaska on celebrity - please recommend the best hiking excursions for Juneau,skagaway and ketchican.

I am in fairly good shape and feel like I could do most of the hikes but don't want to leave husband ( unable to walk very far - circulation issues) for EVERY port for hike--- Which is the best port to do hike.

Which port do you want to "experience" the most? That's what you need to go by...you'll have to leave him behind, since he can't manage a hike, so do your research...a guidebook will really help you figure out which port has more of what you want to see/do...and pick that one!

My daughter just took the Guide's choice hiking excursion in Juneau through Celebrity last week. It poured rain, but she said it was a great hike - about five miles at Mendenhall.

See Mendenhall if you can. It may not be there much longer.

leaving next week for Alaska on celebrity - please recommend the best hiking excursions for Juneau,skagaway and ketchican.

I am in fairly good shape and feel like I could do most of the hikes but don't want to leave husband ( unable to walk very far - circulation issues) for EVERY port for hike--- Which is the best port to do hike.

I liked Perseverance Trail in Juneau. It's at the end of Basin Rd. It's fairly flat, but the views are awesome. You'll have to find a way to/from the trailhead though. We rented a car for the day.

In Skagway, you can make it up to Lower Dewy Lake fairly easy. Upper Dewy and Devil's Punchbowl are more challenging and much more time consuming.

Rainbird Trail in Ketchikan is pretty easy.