Amawaterways- AmaLyra Paris-Normandy

sugarnyc

This will be my 1st river cruise. I am sailing on the AmaLyra this August. Very excited!

I would love to hear any suggestions or recommendations re: this particular ship and itinerary.

What hotel did you stay at pre or post cruise? I am still trying to figure out a hotel in a nice & convenient area in Paris.

Thank you!!

While we didn't sail with Ama, we did do this route (on Uniworld). We stayed at the Hotel Da Vinci, only a few blocks from the Louvre. Very convenient, and very nice. One of our favorite features was the pool, which could be booked for private use. We booked the last slot available for the night, and the jets on our tired feet after two days of walking everywhere, felt awesome.

The staff was also top notch, I left my electric adaptor at home, and they went out and bought me one....

Will definitely stay there again, when we return.

Robin

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While we didn't sail with Ama, we did do this route (on Uniworld). We stayed at the Hotel Da Vinci, only a few blocks from the Louvre. Very convenient, and very nice. One of our favorite features was the pool, which could be booked for private use. We booked the last slot available for the night, and the jets on our tired feet after two days of walking everywhere, felt awesome.

The staff was also top notch, I left my electric adaptor at home, and they went out and bought me one....

Will definitely stay there again, when we return.

Robin

Thank you Robin! I will look up the hotel!

Did you like the itinerary?

Thank you Robin! I will look up the hotel!

Did you like the itinerary?

Loved the itinerary. We went in late March, so missed Giverny, but enjoyed everything else. Since we had spent 2.5 days in Paris on our own, pre-cruise, when we returned at the end of the cruise, we skipped the organized tours and ventured out on our own, again.

We will definitely repeat this itinerary, as Uniworld now has a new ship, and offers golf, twice, and hopefully a "top of Paris" excursion, by the time we go again.

Definitely try to book the Eiffel Tower at 60days, so you can make it all the way to the top-so worth it!

Robin

We stayed at Hotel Verneuil St. Germain. If you prefer small boutique hotels with wonderful service, check out on Trip Advisor. It's walking distance to Louvre and D'Orsay. We even walked to Notre Dame, Latin Quarter, and Eiffel Tower from there. Lovely neighborhood with non touristy cafes.

We stayed at Hotel Verneuil St. Germain. If you prefer small boutique hotels with wonderful service, check out on Trip Advisor. It's walking distance to Louvre and D'Orsay. We even walked to Notre Dame, Latin Quarter, and Eiffel Tower from there. Lovely neighborhood with non touristy cafes.

That one is just around the corner from where we stayed. I think I considered booking, but they were ill on the dates we needed. I agree, great location, easy walks everywhere....

Robin

Loved the itinerary. We went in late March, so missed Giverny, but enjoyed everything else. Since we had spent 2.5 days in Paris on our own, pre-cruise, when we returned at the end of the cruise, we skipped the organized tours and ventured out on our own, again.

We will definitely repeat this itinerary, as Uniworld now has a new ship, and offers golf, twice, and hopefully a "top of Paris" excursion, by the time we go again.

Definitely try to book the Eiffel Tower at 60days, so you can make it all the way to the top-so worth it!

Robin

Thank you again Robin! And the hotel you stayed at looks nice. I will look into it some more! Giverny looks beautiful. I am glad I get to see it!

Thank you for the information! I will look up the hotel!

This will be my 1st river cruise. I am sailing on the AmaLyra this August. Very excited!

I would love to hear any suggestions or recommendations re: this particular ship and itinerary.

What hotel did you stay at pre or post cruise? I am still trying to figure out a hotel in a nice & convenient area in Paris.

Thank you!!

We are doing that cruise in August also. Are you on the wine cruise? We took our 1st river cruise last year and did a Bordeaux wine cruise with AMA. You'll have a wonderful time!

We are doing that cruise in August also. Are you on the wine cruise? We took our 1st river cruise last year and did a Bordeaux wine cruise with AMA. You'll have a wonderful time!

Thank you! No, not the wine cruise.

Glad to hear that your experience was great!

Where are you staying in Paris?

Thank you! No, not the wine cruise.

Glad to hear that your experience was great!

Where are you staying in Paris?

We are staying at the Hotel Moderne .Have been to Paris twice before and didn't need a hotel close to the attractions. We wanted to be close to the port and can't remember how we heard about this hotel but from what I've seen it is fairly close to it. Gets 4.5 stars on Trip Advisor. We booked mid April and got an excellent price, includes breakfast, so staying 3 nights before the river cruise.

We are just back from Paris and Normandy and really enjoyed the time in Normandy and the day at the landing beaches.

It was our 6th or so visit to Paris and we chose to stay in the 9th at the Hotel L'Echiquier Opera Paris MGallery by Sofitel. It was one of our best Paris hotel experiences in all of our stays, though the location might not be ideal for first timers. Wonderful staff and comfy and quiet room.

Previously we rented an apartment on Rue Cler and have also stayed at the Hilton, Novotel and Marriott hotels in the 7th as well the Odeon near the Luxembourg gardens.

I love the MGallery Scribe but it was not available for our dates.

We are staying at the Hotel Moderne .Have been to Paris twice before and didn't need a hotel close to the attractions. We wanted to be close to the port and can't remember how we heard about this hotel but from what I've seen it is fairly close to it. Gets 4.5 stars on Trip Advisor. We booked mid April and got an excellent price, includes breakfast, so staying 3 nights before the river cruise.

Thanks!

We are just back from Paris and Normandy and really enjoyed the time in Normandy and the day at the landing beaches.

It was our 6th or so visit to Paris and we chose to stay in the 9th at the Hotel L'Echiquier Opera Paris MGallery by Sofitel. It was one of our best Paris hotel experiences in all of our stays, though the location might not be ideal for first timers. Wonderful staff and comfy and quiet room.

Previously we rented an apartment on Rue Cler and have also stayed at the Hilton, Novotel and Marriott hotels in the 7th as well the Odeon near the Luxembourg gardens.

I love the MGallery Scribe but it was not available for our dates.

Glad you had a great time! My 1st time in France. Deciding on the cruise was easy. Figuring out the hotel and area of Paris is more difficult....

Thank you!

We did this itinerary in 2014 on Uniworld, loved loved loved the trip! Paris is terrific, the towns along the Seine are really nice, Giverney is gorgeous but the Normandy Beaches were the best. It's so moving seeing the beaches & American Cemetary (hardly a dry eye in the crowd there.) I was so impressed by all the American & British flags still flying from buildings & houses in the area.

We came in to Paris a day early & stayed at the Hotel du Louvre (our second stay there), it's basically across the street from one of the archways that leads into the courtyard of the Louvre. It's clean, well appointed, comfortable & has a great bar as well as a very good restaurant if you're too jet lagged to go out. From the hotel we've walked to the D'Orsay, Notre Dame, San Chapelle & the Louvre (obviously).

Enjoy your trip, have a great time!!

Thank you!!

We did this itinerary on the Ama Legro in 2013.

Highlights for us were Monet's home and gardens in Giverny, Honfleur and the apple festival (sample the calvados), the provincial capital of Rouen, Caux-de-Bec and the British museum at Normandy. The American cemetery is truly awe inspiring. The Ranger dagger at Pointe-du-Hoc is also a must see.

What brave men those were, truly the "Greatest Generation."

The entire province of Normandy is lush and green and the cheeses and wines aren't too shabby either!

Enjoy your trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did this cruise on the AmaLegro in 2014. We sailed the Danube on the AmaLyra in 2013.

The ships are very similar, and I think all AMA ship gets refurbished every year. We enjoyed both ships and both river cruises. The crew were warm and friendly. The Danube is a bit more scenic, but the Seine is very charming, too.

We loved the itinerary. Monet's gardens are simply beautiful! The beaches in Normandy and the cemetery is a very moving experience.

We stayed in Paris for a couple of days before the cruise and toured on our own. Our hotel, Hotel Britannique, was perfectly located and just lovely. I believe it's located in the 1 arrondissement, so it's near Notre Dame and many other sites. A metro stop and wonderful restaurants are just around the corner. Breakfast was plentiful and the staff polite and helpful.

I would suggest not staying at a hotel near the port. The port is nothing special and away from the interesting sights. Whatever hotel you choose, they can call a taxi and give specific instructions to the cab driver for the location of the port where your ship will be docked.

Enjoy your trip!

We did this cruise on the AmaLegro in 2014. We sailed the Danube on the AmaLyra in 2013.

The ships are very similar, and I think all AMA ship gets refurbished every year. We enjoyed both ships and both river cruises. The crew were warm and friendly. The Danube is a bit more scenic, but the Seine is very charming, too.

We loved the itinerary. Monet's gardens are simply beautiful! The beaches in Normandy and the cemetery is a very moving experience.

We stayed in Paris for a couple of days before the cruise and toured on our own. Our hotel, Hotel Britannique, was perfectly located and just lovely. I believe it's located in the 1 arrondissement, so it's near Notre Dame and many other sites. A metro stop and wonderful restaurants are just around the corner. Breakfast was plentiful and the staff polite and helpful.

I would suggest not staying at a hotel near the port. The port is nothing special and away from the interesting sights. Whatever hotel you choose, they can call a taxi and give specific instructions to the cab driver for the location of the port where your ship will be docked.

Enjoy your trip!

Thank you for the helpful information! Much appreciated!

How are people usually dressed for dinner?

Thank you for the helpful information! Much appreciated!

How are people usually dressed for dinner?

You are welcome!

On both of our river cruises with AmaWaterways, the typical attire in the dining room was "business casual." (I think that is the best way to describe it.) For the ladies, I noticed casual dresses, sun dresses, skirts, or pants with a nice top. The men wore assorted short-sleeve dress shirts, polo shirts, long pants, etc.

At the Captain's Dinner (if I remember correctly, that's what it was called) some people got a little dressier (ladies added a little bling) but not gowns or suits.

Overall, the atmosphere is relaxed and comfortable. We really enjoyed the meals, wine and the company of others at our table.

On a side note... we enjoyed a tour of the wheelhouse with the captain. It was fascinating to hear about the ship, navigating the rivers and getting to hear about the locks, and other interesting stories. Just another example of how friendly and personable the crew are on AmaWaterways.

I hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we have!

Bobbie

You are welcome!

On both of our river cruises with AmaWaterways, the typical attire in the dining room was "business casual." (I think that is the best way to describe it.) For the ladies, I noticed casual dresses, sun dresses, skirts, or pants with a nice top. The men wore assorted short-sleeve dress shirts, polo shirts, long pants, etc.

At the Captain's Dinner (if I remember correctly, that's what it was called) some people got a little dressier (ladies added a little bling) but not gowns or suits.

Overall, the atmosphere is relaxed and comfortable. We really enjoyed the meals, wine and the company of others at our table.

On a side note... we enjoyed a tour of the wheelhouse with the captain. It was fascinating to hear about the ship, navigating the rivers and getting to hear about the locks, and other interesting stories. Just another example of how friendly and personable the crew are on AmaWaterways.

I hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we have!

Bobbie

Final payment made for our 9/5 Paris to Normandy cruise on the AmaLyra. Can't wait! This will be our third AMA cruise. We are in Paris for 2 nights pre-cruise at the Renaissance Paris Republique.

Allyson

I am going to attempt to post 2 photos. I hope it works!

One photo shows the wheelhouse tour. The other photo of Karaoke shows the attire people wore, the photo was taken in the lounge, after dinner.

1286984466_Wheelhouse1.jpg.875b56ab0f29beb9a119b11999c06707.jpg

68854094_Karaoke1.jpg.ffc30f9ae0645cdc769b4fba850f79d7.jpg

Edited by bobalink
oops, looks like I need to learn how to attach photos!

I am going to attempt to post 2 photos. I hope it works!

One photo shows the wheelhouse tour. The other photo of Karaoke shows the attire people wore, the photo was taken in the lounge, after dinner.

Thank you!!