What will I find on the new Celebrity since 2010?

the_dylaness

Looking forward, I think, to our sailing on the Equinox in January.

We have sailed X twice; once for 13 days on the Mercury in a sky suite in Alaska in 2009. We thought the food and some features of the service were above some of our other experiences (at that point I had sailed RCCL, Carnival, Princess, and maybe HAL? Can't recall timelines) but the ship was admittedly worn and our traveling companions (also in SS) had a pitiful, lumpy, bumpy, dumpy, slumpy (do you get the idea) mattress. I mean, I have had much nicer mattresses at a Holiday Inn. They complained up the chain of command and were given an egg crate (which did nothing) and basically told "sorry."

Second time was a year later or so, on the Solstice for 7 days in AQ. We had a nice but not exceptional time; I did feel that the food was still a notch above the other lines I had sailed (by that time definitely HAL I am sure), we liked Blu, the interior of the ship was very impressive and beautiful. Nothing was wrong just nothing was mind blowing, either. I do remember thinking that there was a lack of live music (compared to HAL) and not much evening life (and I am NOT a night owl but of course sometimes a few songs in the piano bar after dinner is nice, or a string quartet beforehand.) But we had a good time. I liked the Solarium (I had this on the RCCL Legend of the Seas on my first cruise in January 2002 and loved it ever since!)

So, we are going back, on the Equinox in AQ in January. Reading this board, it sounds like X has totally gone "down the tubes", but who knows. Anyone who sailed around those times willing to comment on changes? We do like the idea of the drinks package and such (we got Go Best); we don't drink crazy amounts, but we do enjoy beverages onboard and it will be nice not to worry about signing bits of paper here and there, or leaving behind a drink if it wasn't to our taste, etc.

Since then we have also had the pleasure of sailing on Seabourn (OH MY!) and Disney (good for kids and some nice features but not my overall cup of tea, although executed well!)

We do have children but will not be taking them with us.

I am sure you will have a wonderful cruise- still and above all the changes, cuttings and shortening of staff, X is still doing slightly better then RCI- just no longer my favorite cruise line as it was for 10 years- but well there are so many options - there is a ship for everyone.

No smoking- Yes!!! :hearteyes:

I only have done one RCCL cruise (the one in 2002) which is so long ago in cruise land, I might as well have never been on them. We were supposed to do a royal family suite on them in October but for a variety of reasons changed to NCL Escape (in the Haven.)

Our favorite cruise line was Seabourn (how could it not be?) but also not always in the budget. We actually liked HAL a lot but it's also been a while. We cruised a lot 2007-2011 and then took a break for a few years (busy having babies); first cruise since that time was October 2016, on Disney. Then I did NCL Jade in January 2017. (Which was not great.) Now we are back in the swing of things and trying to find our new favorite. I imagine our favorite WITH kids is probably different than our favorite WITHOUT.

But we are hopelessly out of date! I don't remember any drink packages in the late 2000s.

We still cruise on celebrity...but prefer Crystal (I've seen you on the board there)...Celebrity is more olive garden....Crystal is more Capitol Grille...When we add on all the things we WANT...Crystal is a better buy for us...the food and entertainment are exceptional on Crystal....that being said....we had a great time on Equinox in April as we were with friends...we would cruise Celebrity again as we have elite status but we would lower our expectations

This is just MY OPINION

We have done 9 cruises on Celebrity since 2011. I don't know what X was like before that, but we love the cruise line.

We started cruising with NCL and moved to Celebrity and clearly Celebrity has better food, service and ambiance. NCL has better entertainment.

Crystal may be wonderful, if you want to pay the piper. We like to go overseas twice a year and include a cruise, ocean or river. Doing Crystal would limit to one.

We had a suite on Millennium due to an upgrade in 2015 and the food in Luminae was fantastic, however, we will never pay upfront for a suite.

The MDR service and food quality ranges from good to excellent. Service is consistently high on our 9 cruises. Food on just a few occasions has been so so. I have only sent back two dishes in 9 cruises and the waiters brought we another dish that was fine.

I would rate Celebrity higher than Olive Garden. We love the Lamb dishes. Fish is more up and down, Beef and Pork usually very good to excellent.

Celebrity's desserts are excellent.

One change that I don't like is the proliferation of drinks packages and the price bundling for most cruises. We are elite and enjoy the happy hour, so our alcohol expenditures are low, since we are moderate drinkers. Also, Celebrity's pricing has gone up more than NCL's or some of their competitors.

Celebrity is still our first choice for cruising, but we sometimes find better overall deals on others like NCL or Royal.

And, just like on this thread/website, you'll find lots of people who like to hear themselves complain about cuts to everything, but wouldn't be happy no matter what happened.

Celebrity is fabulous and, just like most things in life, its a great as you let it be! Enjoy!

Yes, Celeb has had cutbacks and changes making it more like Royal C.,,but Equinox is a great ship..

BLU on EQ is a nice dining rm,..quieter than MDR and hopefully more personal service...Has new menus..Ship also has Silk Harvest which we enjoy....nice size ship Being in AQ will give you a nice shower, access to Persian Gardens and the Relaxation Rm..all very nice, plus other perks,,

On our last Celeb cruise we thought live music had improved..shows so so but that's personal taste,,. Enjoy!

Seabourn and Disney to Celebrity? Given the recent cutbacks you will be very disappointed if you try to draw comparisons to either of those lines. So get a drink package, take advantage with lots of adult beverages, and try to forget you were ever on those two excellent cruise lines. Celebrity is still a good cruise line....but that is the problem. We used to think it was a great mass market line. Now....just good..

Hank

, and try to forget you were ever on those two excellent cruise lines. Celebrity is still a good cruise line....but that is the problem. We used to think it was a great mass market line. Now....just good..

Hank

Exactly....still a nice vacation...but not what it used to be

Yes, certainly wasn't expecting Seabourn, just trying to give some perspective of our cruising history.

Just now, I see to the side of me an ad for a major online TA selling Alaskan cruises. Carnival from $699, X from $599, NCL from $529 and RCCL from $599.

Maybe that says a lot?

I know you have booked Aqua, but if the opportunity to upgrade to a suite arises you could consider as that is an area where Celebrity has made improvements.....Last time you were in a suite I think the only perk was the larger room.

Since the introduction of the suite life programme there is now a suite lounge and concierge (Michael's Club), a specific suite dining room (Luminae) and more perks still for the more expensive suites including unlimited speciality dining, internet package, premium beverage package and laundry...

Worth looking into incase the opportunity to upgrade arises...