Technical issues on Caribbean Princess

maz48

Do they know when she will go into dry dock? We are on her..granted not until August 2018...but the dry dock can cause a ripple affect and affect cruises further down the line..just curious as this is a b2b bday bash for a friend and myself and our significant others. We have been planning for quite some time and have already had several changes to the itinerary would hate to see it go away completely!

She isn't scheduled for a drydocking until early 2019, depending on how it impacts her schedule and bookings, they may let it ride until then. Her UWILD (Under Water Inspection in Lieu of Drydocking) would be scheduled for the Sept-Nov 2017 time period, so they may just take that time out of service and do the repair then. If it is a motor or control problem, it really only would require a shipyard period, not a drydocking, so they could get away quicker with a wet berth repair and a UWILD, instead of drydocking. Just supposition on my part, and also completely subject to dock availability, but if an actual drydock isn't required, then scheduling becomes vastly easier. Probably only a one week out of service time frame.

She isn't scheduled for a drydocking until early 2019, depending on how it impacts her schedule and bookings, they may let it ride until then. Her UWILD (Under Water Inspection in Lieu of Drydocking) would be scheduled for the Sept-Nov 2017 time period, so they may just take that time out of service and do the repair then. If it is a motor or control problem, it really only would require a shipyard period, not a drydocking, so they could get away quicker with a wet berth repair and a UWILD, instead of drydocking. Just supposition on my part, and also completely subject to dock availability, but if an actual drydock isn't required, then scheduling becomes vastly easier. Probably only a one week out of service time frame.

ok i get when she is scheduled...but my question was because of this post:

Originally posted by Bucket List Bohemians Someone was kind enough to take the time to share and post this today, about what Princess told him:

" the email I sent them. You are correct, Seems one of the propeller electric drives need to be replaced, no quick fix, she must go into dry dock. Expect continued itinerary changes because of this issue. Other than that, they aren't offering anything except on a case by case sailing. They told me if I want to cancel, go ahead!"

Sounds like Princess is saying that they need a dry dock to fix that issue...was just curious if anyone had any further updates as to when it might be done.

Just pointing out the likely scenarios, since taking the ship out of service is a big revenue hit. Since she has a scheduled inspection later this year (Sept-Nov), unless there is a significant impact on cancellations due to altered itineraries, they most likely won't do anything until then, or if they can operate the planned itineraries with the ship as is, they may wait until the scheduled drydock in 2019. Carnival had a ship in Alaska for a couple of years with only one azipod working, as they could operate the itinerary on one, and waited until the next scheduled drydocking.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received notice of itinerary change for our October 21 to Panama on the Carribean Princess. To think Princess has been aware of a technical issue since June and will not take action to correct it , is mind boggling! Instead the customer, the paying customer is paying the price. Sure they are giving us $100 on board credit, big deal, how sincere:mad:!

Dear fellow cruisers take action and call Princess and voice your displeasure. Tell them you signed up for and paid for a product for which your truly not going to receive.

I understand if mother nature got involved and a hurricane made the decision of our itinerary change instead of a technical issue. The unwillingness of Princess to remedy this issue is disturbing.

Edited by ggoeble
Needed to add something

Just received notice of itinerary change for our October 21 to Panama on the Carribean Princess. To think Princess has been aware of a technical issue since June and will not take action to correct it , is mind boggling! Instead the customer, the paying customer is paying the price. Sure they are giving us $100 on board credit, big deal, how sincere:mad:!

Dear fellow cruisers take action and call Princess and voice your displeasure. Tell them you signed up for and paid for a product for which your truly not going to receive.

I understand if mother nature got involved and a hurricane made the decision of our itinerary change instead of a technical issue. The unwillingness of Princess to remedy this issue is disturbing.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Post often!

Hi ggoeble,

Can you tell us what the itinerary change was? We are booked on the November 20th Panama Canal sailing and would like to know. Also, did they let you know before final payment or after?

Thanks!

So far they are minor time changes that don't affect the itinerary much, with one port change: Colon to Cristobal (both equally unimpressive). I don't see it as a big deal, although they will have to correct some excursion times. We'll see if any more changes occur closer to the sailing date.

Is the OBC per cabin or per person? I haven't heard from my TA yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by dtb55

The switch from Colon to Cristobal is interesting, since that is where the ships used to dock after leaving Gatun Locks to retrieve the passengers who are on shore excursions. Somewhere around 2010 the warehouse portion of the pier was torn down and the pier was devoted completely to container operations. Those of you that were on partial transits back then may remember that pier as having various stores within and some folkloric presentations. As far as I know since Cristobal went to all containers, cruise ships making a port call docked at Colon which is located behind those taller buildings in the background.

A couple of pics of what was there and what is there now... doesn't look like it lends itself to passenger operations as well as the Colon facilities.

33crdy8.jpg

33bk2e0.jpg

It doesn't do any good to call, I called at least 10 times to complain about the transatlantic that eliminated 3 ports do to technical difficulties, even speaking with supervisor does not good or emailing. We cancelled that cruise but were told the problem would be fixed when it got to Ft Lauderdale Oct 7. Apparently not according to your itinerary change it will still have the problem! How frustrating I know. We rebooked the Panama canal for Sept. 27 on the Coral. Can you switch to that one?? Good luck regardless. We have already booked a cruise for next year but this time trying Norweigan. Would like to know what you do.

Dear sp2

As dtb55 stated one of the port of calls change is from Colon to Cristobal, which is no big deal but we are getting shorted in Cartagena, from 8 hours in port to 6 hours. Time is of the essence.

And we were made aware of the itinerary change after it was paid.

If you go to Wikipedia and do a search on the Carribean Princess you'll find this ship has had it share of problems and propulsion issues seem to be a repeated topic

Dear sp2

As dtb55 stated one of the port of calls change is from Colon to Cristobal, which is no big deal but we are getting shorted in Cartagena, from 8 hours in port to 6 hours. Time is of the essence.

If you go to Wikipedia and do a search on the Carribean Princess you'll find this ship has had it share of problems and propulsion issues seem to be a repeated topic

This is true, losing 2 hours in Cartagena is a big deal. I had planned to spend the day on the hop on/hop off bus. I'll have to watch my time now.

?...but we are getting shorted in Cartagena, from 8 hours in port to 6 hours. Time is of the essence.

And we were made aware of the itinerary change after it was paid...

I'm a little confused...Oct. 21 is still 84 days away, so if this is truly a big deal to you, would you cancel? You do have time.

I'm a little confused...Oct. 21 is still 84 days away, so if this is truly a big deal to you, would you cancel? You do have time.

It's not a big enough deal for me to cancel the cruise. I'm still looking forward to it.

Dear sp2

I did look at Wikipedia as you suggested. It wasn't as bad as I feared. The 9 hour total power failure of August 2016 in the Irish Sea was the only thing that really scared me. Besides, my wife won't let me cancel and I'm more scared of her.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, happy wife, happy life.

It's just frustrating. A known mechanical problem. Itinerary changes. No real response from Princess other than a few messily bucks in the form of on board credit and canceling the trip has been discussed. But to tell you the truth, this trip has been long in coming and highly anticipated. At this point, we're going to wait and see what happens.

The CB had propulsion issues when we cruised on her in July 2008 causing a deviation from the itinerary. Propulsion and other issues have surfaced periodically since that time to the point where we will not cruise on her again.

One would think the propulsion issue would have been successfully addressed in the last nine years.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

We experienced delays due to propulsion issues in January 2012. Half a dozen sailings later, she broke down entirely, and passengers who didn't cancel spent a week in the port of San Juan using the ship as a hotel. I can't believe they haven't fixed the problems!

Just got the notice that the problems will not be fixed before the Nov 20th Panama Canal cruise, looks like they have shortened most of the port times and also switched Colon to Cristobal. Not sure how that will work as I did not think Cruise lines docked at Cristobal anymore. With the two ports being so close seems strange that they would have to switch those two.

Most cruises operate at below max speed, but I am concerned that they will be operating at their revised max speed the whole time to even make these times, which could lead to even more changes or delays after they actually operate the route.

We were on June 6th 2018 Round Britain cruise in Caribbean Princess and there were no problems with speed. I have received an email from my travel agent with a letter from Princess regarding our Christmas cruise Dec 20th) saying the same thing about technical issues affecting full speed. (When do they actually travel at full speed?) the itinerary has changed slightly and they are offeribg $50 refundable credit per person. What is going on? Surely this can be resolved before Dec 20th. Unfortunately we have already paid the balance ( a week ago) and have other arrangements and flights organised pre cruise as we are from UK so are unable to cancel.

wow, issues dating back to 2012. That is upsetting if you have a cruise booked knowing their may be issues and re-routing of your upcoming cruise
Prior to 2012! As I mentioned above, the CB experienced propulsion issues when we cruised on her in July 2008. So CB cruisers have been subjected to these issues for at least nine years.

Prior to 2012! As I mentioned above, the CB experienced propulsion issues when we cruised on her in July 2008. So CB cruisers have been subjected to these issues for at least nine years.

That is not good. That many years and nothing has been fixed. I guess they will wait until it finals busts completely like Carnival and it gets stranded at sea.

We were on June 6th 2018 Round Britain cruise in Caribbean Princess and there were no problems with speed. I have received an email from my travel agent with a letter from Princess regarding our Christmas cruise Dec 20th) saying the same thing about technical issues affecting full speed. (When do they actually travel at full speed?) the itinerary has changed slightly and they are offeribg $50 refundable credit per person. What is going on? Surely this can be resolved before Dec 20th. Unfortunately we have already paid the balance ( a week ago) and have other arrangements and flights organised pre cruise as we are from UK so are unable to cancel.

2018 cruise? Guess my calendar needs to be changed.