Just off the Equinox (June 3-11)

TFLG

Don't mean to hijack but what exactly does the beer n food pairing consist of? We were on the Equinox in January and did see this listed (which means i overlooked it lol) so just curious as we'll be sailing on her again on 7/2. Thanks!

They match up 4 of the items on the menu with 4 of the craft beers. Explain how the diff beer interacts with the different food. Kinda like red wine with beef, and white with fish. Great learning opportunitie about the differences of beer style n taste.

We were also on this cruise. Went to Maya Chan and I highly recommend it. Very relaxing, quiet, all inclusive with terrific food. Check the Costa Maya board for more info.

We're on the same itinerary and heading to Maya Chan in a few weeks. Just curious - what time did you meet their representative in the morning and was the meeting spot easy to find? Thanks!

PS How was the sea grass?

Edited by ricka47

I am sailing with my parents this summer. I am 28 so I am wondering how your young adult children liked it? Did they find enough things to do? I am looking forward to enjoying my week and a half between teaching summer school and going back for the school year so relaxing with a book and a drink is my main objective but I am hoping for some fun activities as well.

Also, where did you go to the beach in Costa Maya, we are still looking for somewhere nice and quiet to spend the day with shade, possibly drinks and wifi and ocean without to much junk in it to go in to cool off.

We were also on this cruise and we went to Tropicante if you google it you will find a lot of information. I loved it. $2 taxi ride/pp the beach is clean. You can reserve in advance loungers in the shade for free. They just want you to order food and drinks. We had a few beers, chips & salsa and a quesadilla for $20. Stayed for 4 hours and relaxed. Free wifi with purchase. Owned by an American named Steve.. On a side note they give massages for $20...

They match up 4 of the items on the menu with 4 of the craft beers. Explain how the diff beer interacts with the different food. Kinda like red wine with beef, and white with fish. Great learning opportunitie about the differences of beer style n taste.

That is funny that you mention red wine with beef and white with fish. On our last cruise that was also on the Equinox we were dining in Blu and had the premium pack. Our wine server asked what we wanted and I said that I don't know as I haven't seen the menu (not one that needs to look and LAN in advance) and don't know If I will have seafood or not. She said it doesn't matter, just order what you like. 🤔

I am more of a beer drinker and have seen those pairing but most times are suggestions. Don't really mean anything, if I don't like the beer the food isn't going to change it or vice versa.

Same with the glasses. It all depends on the situation, atmosphere, and etc. I tried all the beers on board and for some reason none appeal or tasted good to me even though many are what I enjoy at home.

Sometimes drinking wine out of a bottle that is in a paper sack while sitting on a beach is excellent and can't be beat. same stuff different atmosphere and conditions and you wonder if it is the same wine.

Drink up 🍸🍺🍷🍹

That is funny that you mention red wine with beef and white with fish. On our last cruise that was also on the Equinox we were dining in Blu and had the premium pack. Our wine server asked what we wanted and I said that I don't know as I haven't seen the menu (not one that needs to look and LAN in advance) and don't know If I will have seafood or not. She said it doesn't matter, just order what you like. 🤔

I am more of a beer drinker and have seen those pairing but most times are suggestions. Don't really mean anything, if I don't like the beer the food isn't going to change it or vice versa.

Same with the glasses. It all depends on the situation, atmosphere, and etc. I tried all the beers on board and for some reason none appeal or tasted good to me even though many are what I enjoy at home.

Sometimes drinking wine out of a bottle that is in a paper sack while sitting on a beach is excellent and can't be beat. same stuff different atmosphere and conditions and you wonder if it is the same wine.

Drink up 🍸🍺🍷🍹

I did a food and wine pairing on the Equinox and was surprised how different wines have an influence on the way the food tastes both good and bad. Never would have believed it until I took the class.

We were also on this cruise and we went to Tropicante if you google it you will find a lot of information. I loved it. $2 taxi ride/pp the beach is clean. You can reserve in advance loungers in the shade for free. They just want you to order food and drinks. We had a few beers, chips & salsa and a quesadilla for $20. Stayed for 4 hours and relaxed. Free wifi with purchase. Owned by an American named Steve.. On a side note they give massages for $20...

We are leaving towards Tropicante after all of our reading. Was the water swimmable or was there a lot of sea grass? I basically want to sit on the beach, have a drink and possibly swim a bit. Was it relaxing or loud?

We also went to the Tropicante off the Norwegian Getaway last October. It was great. We were with our son and his family of three boys ages 12, 10, and 5. We all had a great time. The boys snorkeled and we relaxed on the beach. The lounge chairs were close to each other but it was a fun vibe. The food was great and reasonable as were the drinks. It's about midway down the concrete walk. Be sure to leave yourself some time to shop and swim in the huge free pool on your way back to the ship. I think an aviary should be open by now. It was our first trip to Costa Maya and we loved it.

We are leaving towards Tropicante after all of our reading. Was the water swimmable or was there a lot of sea grass? I basically want to sit on the beach, have a drink and possibly swim a bit. Was it relaxing or loud?

No sea grass. Warm water and very quiet and relaxing!

image1.JPG.8a50d7fac566a7074d63ffba51b5e924.JPG

image2.JPG.84c4acf5facf3af8386ba918085eb176.JPG

Did any in your party try the GastroBar? The beer n food paring is wonderful and well worth the $20.

Totally agree on the GastroBar. We were on this cruise last week as well with the OP. The Bone Marrow in the GastroBar was amazing! Not sure where or when other than this cruise I would have tried bone marrow! Wish I was back onboard!

Totally agree on the GastroBar. We were on this cruise last week as well with the OP. The Bone Marrow in the GastroBar was amazing! Not sure where or when other than this cruise I would have tried bone marrow! Wish I was back onboard!

No offense to you, but I just got nauseous.

No offense to you, but I just got nauseous.

They ran out on both our last 2 cruises on thevEquinox. I asked people we met from across the pond, all to a person said I missed out.

We're on the same itinerary and heading to Maya Chan in a few weeks. Just curious - what time did you meet their representative in the morning and was the meeting spot easy to find? Thanks!

PS How was the sea grass?

Hi Rick - It was easy to find the meeting place. Just keep walking all the way out of the port gate. It is just beyond that on the right. They have a kiosk and a sign with a few greeters. We met them right around 9. There is definitely sea grass. You will want water shoes for sure. Even so, nothing beats floating in a chair and having a waiter bring you drinks.

PS - the tacos were absolutely outstanding. My 18yo DS keeps telling me I need to get the recipe. They were making the flour tortillas right there in front of you. Yumm........

So looking forward to trying the bone marrow in September!

We were on the Equinox in April. The entertainment is very weak. The shows are now to being equivalent to a the senior high school production. It use to be where the dancers were very professional and talented. Now it appears to be dancers from a dance school that practiced a routine for a recital.

The Guest performers were good and they could probably save a lot of money by doing away with the production shows and just using them.

Street performers are just as good or better than what we had on our cruise playing in the lounges

There are a lot of ships and I am sure that it is very difficult to obtain quiality entertainment willing to be on a cruise ship so the talent pool is getting shallow.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

We were on the same cruise as the OP. They had new shows, and honestly, they were the best we've seen onboard any ship in the last 12 years. New, current music ... and the vocal coach has done a great job of teaching the singers not to bellow into the microphones. A dramatic improvement over everything we've seen in the past.