Next Cruise Booking - Alaska - Is RC the Right Cruise Line?

We are sailing July 9th on Oasis. I just found out that DH has agreement from his parents to reserve an Alaskan cruise if we save some money.

• I think we can only save a couple of hundred at best? So, why do it?
  • I will ideally want a balcony that joins an inside or ocean view. I understand there are only 4 rooms like this on the ship. So, I think we would just buy a certificate and then wait for 2019 schedules to be released, and be ready to pounce? Is this usually in March?
  • I think our second choice would be a family room Would they let us book the room w/ separated bunk beds for only 4 people?
  • Is Royal the right cruise line? Are their pools heated? Any other things to be looking for specific to Alaska?
  • Am I limited to what I can buy for family? Would likely be buying two cabins for us, one for in laws and one for BIL, possibly one more.

I only have two weeks to decide if I want to buy anything while on board. We'd probably want to give everyone 2 years lead time to save money.

We are sailing July 9th on Oasis. I just found out that DH has agreement from his parents to reserve an Alaskan cruise if we save some money.

• I will ideally want a balcony that joins an inside or ocean view. I understand there are only 4 rooms like this on the ship. So, I think we would just buy a certificate and then wait for 2019 schedules to be released, and be ready to pounce? Is this usually in March?

Hello again from a fellow July 13th Capt. Bob excursioner (not stalking you, I swear, lol).

DW decided we were doing Alaska before we went on Oasis earlier this month so we went to NextCruise on day 2. Based on her research/preferences/schedule (I wasn't involved) she settled on June 2018 Southbound provided we could get a port side balcony. There were none available so we booked an August 2018 date we knew we would change. Plan A was to wait and hope the cabin she wanted became available (it did and we're going next summer) but plan B was to grab a June 2019 cabin as soon as the schedule was released. The NextCruise agent told us it would be in April.

Hopefully others can help with the rest of your questions because I don't think even my wife could (she's currently focused on excursions and I'm just ready to get back on Oasis). See ya in 2 weeks!

LOL. Like minds. I feel so rushed. I've got everything done for this cruise except packing and cleaning house. Need to go work on laundry. I work so 2 weeks is not that far away in terms of having prep time. So squeezing my normal amount of research for a decision like this is kind of exciting but a stressor. I have no idea which itinerary. I need a primer.

Why port side? I'm suspecting something to do with glacier view? Sounds like I need to meet your wife!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• I think our second choice would be a family room Would they let us book the room w/ separated bunk beds for only 4 people?
  • Is Royal the right cruise line? Are their pools heated? Any other things to be looking for specific to Alaska?
  • Am I limited to what I can buy for family? Would likely be buying two cabins for us, one for in laws and one for BIL, possibly one more.

I only have two weeks to decide if I want to buy anything while on board. We'd probably want to give everyone 2 years lead time to save money.

It looks like you are considering Explorer round trip from Seattle from your cabin comments. We are doing Radiance southbound from Seward to Vancouver next May since we wanted to go farther north than Explorer goes.

There is a lot of information in the Alaska port of call forum including a thread that has a link to reviews for each year.

Why port side? I'm suspecting something to do with glacier view? Sounds like I need to meet your wife!

I can answer this one. :) Since we're going Southbound (Seward to Vancouver), that's the side of the ship facing land so there's more to see (hence the balcony for Alaska while we're staying in our cozy interior cave on Oasis since we've seen the Caribbean so many times).

I can answer this one. :) Since we're going Southbound (Seward to Vancouver), that's the side of the ship facing land so there's more to see (hence the balcony for Alaska while we're staying in our cozy interior cave on Oasis since we've seen the Caribbean so many times).

Actually the inside passage has views of land on both sides. We have always done the northbound (3x's)...prefer to sail towards Alaska than away from it, as the scenery just keeps getting better. And one time a roundtrip from Vancouver not our favorite so far. We love sailing on the Radiance for the Alaska itinerary.

What ever you decide will work best for you enjoy !!

What about flights to the various Alaska ports. If there is significant cost differences that would likely be a big driver of the right cruise. Need to keep the costs down as it would be for a group. DH and I might be less worried about $500 here and there if it was just us. We'd likely be flying from Dallas, Chicago, Denver as we can't get anywhere w/out flying to a hub first.

Sorry you can't book a FOV (family ocean view) without a minimum of 5 occupants...however occasionally if they aren't booked by a certain time frame they will be released to book with fewer occupants...Some of our extended family (2 adults one toddler) has gotten this deal twice both times on the Radiance in #8500 . Great cabin with the curtained off 2nd sleeping area.

Radiance pools are heated...and the indoor Solarium pool can be used by children certain hours during inclement weather.

After 20+ cruises RCI is the cruiseline for us...other's of course have their preference.

Edited by Ashland

What about flights to the various Alaska ports. If there is significant cost differences that would likely be a big driver of the right cruise. Need to keep the costs down as it would be for a group. DH and I might be less worried about $500 here and there if it was just us. We'd likely be flying from Dallas, Chicago, Denver as we can't get anywhere w/out flying to a hub first.

If you sail Radiance, you will depart from either Seward, Alaska or Vancouver, BC. If you sail Explorer, you are roundtrip from Seattle. If you are planning on doing a cruisetour before or after your cruise, then that is a completely different scenario.

We are sailing Radiance Southbound with tour 4B which is prior to our cruise and starts in Fairbanks. Flights are just available for next May and getting to Fairbanks at a decent time and on a big plane is proving to be a challenge. We are going in at least one day if not two days early because of the arrival times in Fairbanks.

Flying to Seattle is much cheaper and many more options for us but we want Radiance, so will figure it out.

So I've been researching all day. I want to do the glacier cruise so it seems that Seattle is out. And unfortunately it had my ideal room scenario. I don't want an across the hall inside as we are too protective of parenting style for that. So it seems there are some family ocean view rooms that may not be visible online. Not my first choice as I want a balcony. I don't see family size rooms with bunk beds AND balcony. So it seems I have to save enough for adjoining balconies (grrr) or go with a different cruise line or settle for no balcony and put my nephew in our room so they let us book it. At least this helped me decide that things are up in the air enough that I don't need to buy everyone next cruise while on board. If anyone has other ideas please let me know.

Edited by hollygtn

So I've been researching all day. I want to do the glacier cruise so it seems that Seattle is out. And unfortunately it had my ideal room scenario. I don't want an across the hall inside as we are too protective of parenting style for that. So it seems there are some family ocean view rooms that may not be visible online. Not my first. Voice as I want a balcony. I don't see family size rooms with bunk beds AND balcony. So it seems I have to save enough for adjoining balconies (grrr) or go with a different cruise line or settle for no balcony and put my nephew in our room so they let us book it. At least this helped me decide that things are up in the air enough that I don't need to buy everyone next cruise while on board. If anyone has other ideas please let me know.

I'm not sure how much bigger a "family size" room is than a regular balcony but there are definitely balcony rooms that sleep four on Radiance. I know this because RC wouldn't let us (2 people) book them. We were told eventually they will open them up to a party of 2 if they weren't sold. As an example, if you search Seward - June 22, 2018 and put in 2 people and choose balcony, you won't find any port side cabins. However, if you put in 4 people, suddenly there are several available.

Now, they may be sofa beds, not bunk beds, but they do sleep 4. If it's the "family size" part that's the issue then this won't help but figured I'd try.

We tend to spoil ourselves....don't want to pack 4 in a standard balcony. Also want some privacy. We have adjoining balcony rooms on Oasis. But adjoining on Alaska is pricier.

We tend to spoil ourselves....don't want to pack 4 in a standard balcony. Also want some privacy. We have adjoining balcony rooms on Oasis. But adjoining on Alaska is pricier.

I hear ya. I realized after I was almost done typing that the room size may be the sticking point but figured it couldn't hurt to post anyway.

Hope you find a solution.

Question Mike--do the 2 person rooms always have a pull out couch for a third? I ask because my plan would be to book my nephew in our room but he sleeps on his parents two person room pull out couch. But even that assumption may be tricky.

Question Mike--do the 2 person rooms always have a pull out couch for a third? I ask because my plan would be to book my nephew in our room but he sleeps on his parents two person room pull out couch. But even that assumption may be tricky.

I've never been on Radiance and honestly don't know, sorry. I do know every couch in a balcony room on Freedom, Oasis, Allure, and Mariner does not necessarily pull out so my guess is no but that's not an assumption I'd want to make.

I've only been on one ship smaller/older than Voyager and that was when we took the cheapest 4-night Bahamas cruise out of Canaveral we could find because we were sitting on 76 points and wanted to get to Diamond before taking our next 7-night cruise. That's my version of spoiled I guess. No offense to the Centrum, but I really missed having a Promenade.

If I lived anywhere close to a cruise port like you I'd be spoiling myself on quantity of cruises instead of quality of room. It takes a lot of time for me to build up enough miles for a family of four to fly!

No, if there was a pull out couch it would be a 3 person room. The 3 and 4 person rooms have Pullmans.

I sailed Radiance and absolutely loved the views with all the glass. I was in an inside cabin to save money and never missed anything. Some people will say a balcony is a must for Alaska. All of my dinner table-mates had balconies they did not use due to the chilly weather. Some will say the upper outside decks have better views and save the extra money for excursions. Whatever you decide, you will enjoy Alaska.

Another another note, I flew to Seattle for 3 days - had a blast! Then I took the train to Vancouver ($31) for 2 days - had a second blast! Then I sailed from Vancouver to Seward. You see the trend - blast 3x.

Enjoy!!

I sailed Radiance and absolutely loved the views with all the glass. I was in an inside cabin to save money and never missed anything. Some people will say a balcony is a must for Alaska. All of my dinner table-mates had balconies they did not use due to the chilly weather. Some will say the upper outside decks have better views and save the extra money for excursions. Whatever you decide, you will enjoy Alaska.

Another another note, I flew to Seattle for 3 days - had a blast! Then I took the train to Vancouver ($31) for 2 days - had a second blast! Then I sailed from Vancouver to Seward. You see the trend - blast 3x.

Enjoy!!

I appreciate that perspective. I will keep the balcony thought in mind as had been persuaded it was a must. What about flying out of Seward? I use SWAirlines miles typically. Told DH he'd have to find a credit card w/ miles that works for other airlines in preparation for this cruise....if we flew to Vancouver. I didn't realize the train to Vancouver would be so cheap which means flying to Seattle might be an option. I guess renting a car in Seward then driving to Seattle. Wonder how far that is.

We had an inside room on Hawaii cruise. Saved money for excursions. We literally did two a day and collapsed in our room after dinner. Didn't do a single night time activity. Only other cruise I've been on I had a window. Oasis will be my first balcony.

I appreciate that perspective. I will keep the balcony thought in mind as had been persuaded it was a must. What about flying out of Seward? I use SWAirlines miles typically. Told DH he'd have to find a credit card w/ miles that works for other airlines in preparation for this cruise....if we flew to Vancouver. I didn't realize the train to Vancouver would be so cheap which means flying to Seattle might be an option. I guess renting a car in Seward then driving to Seattle. Wonder how far that is.

We had an inside room on Hawaii cruise. Saved money for excursions. We literally did two a day and collapsed in our room after dinner. Didn't do a single night time activity. Only other cruise I've been on I had a window. Oasis will be my first balcony.

You do not want to drive Seward to Seattle, that is almost 2,400 miles. You would want to take the south bound cruise that ends in Vancouver and drive the less than 250 miles to Seattle or fly home from Vancouver.

In every port I had planned private excursions - helicopter ride and glazier trekking, whale watching, float plane ride, rental car in Skagway. Like yourself I also collapsed in the evening. If I had a balcony I doubt I would have used it. As a comparison I paid $672/pp for the inside cabin in 2015 (shoulder season). I booked about 15 months prior.

Upon arriving in Seward, Alaska ( I sailed Northbound) I checked into the Best Western across the street from the SeaLife Center. This is a wildlife refuge built with funds from the Exxon oil spill. After that I walked to the meeting place for the Kenai Fjords tour. There was a ranger onboard who provided excellent commentary. We saw many whales, sea lions and a bear.

The next day I took the bus to Anchorage and flew home. I originally had a rental car booked and planned to stop along the Seward highway for sightseeing. After having so much fun I was too tired to drive. The bus driver made 1 or 2 stops and I was able to sit back and relax.

Edited by Tee & Chilli

I took the train to Vancouver a few years back, though not cruise related. Great trip, smooth ride, interesting scenery, roomy seats. I seem to remember coastal views. Would do this again in a heartbeat!

Sent from my iPad using Forums