July 2017 Tracy Arm & Endicott Arm

TheCalicoCat

Have the cruise ships been able to traverse Tracy Arm?

(I saw an instagram where even Endicott was too icy - It has been noted that not all cruisers know where they are so that could have been an error.;p)

How about smaller boats? In other words, had the Tracy Arm excursion that runs directly from the cruise ship been running?

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

The Emerald Princess is cruising Endicott Arm today. We will be on her in 3 weeks and I'm kind of hoping for a successful sailing of Endicott Arm and glacier viewing, rather than a disappointing partial sailing of Tracy Arm. Last time we were there, we got to where we could barely see the glacier in the distance and then turned around and left.

The Emerald Princess is cruising Endicott Arm today. We will be on her in 3 weeks and I'm kind of hoping for a successful sailing of Endicott Arm and glacier viewing, rather than a disappointing partial sailing of Tracy Arm. Last time we were there, we got to where we could barely see the glacier in the distance and then turned around and left.

Wishing you a great Endicott Arm sailing. I completely understand your rational.

How about smaller boats? In other words, had the Tracy Arm excursion that runs directly from the cruise ship been running?

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

The reports I have read have put them into Endicott Arm, same as the ships.

We are on the Emerald Princess right now and the ship was not able to go to either Tracy Arm Or Endicott Arm Bay due to ice. We did the ships' excursion and were very fortunate to visit Tracy Arm (both Sawyer Glaciers). We were told it was the first time in 2 years that they have been able to go up Tracy Arm. It was absolutely beautiful and we had fantastic weather. Although expensive, it was one of the best excursions we've done. I would highly recommend.

We we there last week on the Jewel and went to Endicott arm, we booked the small boat excursion that left ahead of the ship and on that we got top stop and watch a humpback whale feeding and nearer the glacier got to stop and watch 2 separate coastal brown bears feeding along the shoreline. Having been to both Tracy and Endicott now, In the future either will be fine with me as they are both fantastic.

We are on the Emerald Princess right now and the ship was not able to go to either Tracy Arm Or Endicott Arm Bay due to ice. . .

Thanks all! I'm ok with either, I just don't want this scenario...

(I did the small boat in Tracy Arm on my last AK cruise & highly recommend it as well. It is not being offered on my itinerary this time.)

We did the HAL small boat excursion from Juneau last week into Tracy Arm. Too much ice at South Sawyer Glacier so we went to North Sawyer Glacier. It was raining in Juneau but Tracy Arm was beautiful. Saw two bears along the shore on the way in, seven mountain goats on the mountain as we viewed the glacier, and saw a whale on our way back to Juneau as well as a few bald eagles. The included catered box lunch was delicious. Great commentary by Maggie who knows a lot about Alaska.

The vendor was Allen Marine.

We did the HAL small boat excursion from Juneau last week into Tracy Arm. Too much ice at South Sawyer Glacier so we went to North Sawyer Glacier. It was raining in Juneau but Tracy Arm was beautiful. Saw two bears along the shore on the way in, seven mountain goats on the mountain as we viewed the glacier, and saw a whale on our way back to Juneau as well as a few bald eagles. The included catered box lunch was delicious. Great commentary by Maggie who knows a lot about Alaska.

The vendor was Allen Marine.

How many passengers are on the Allen Marine tour? Is there room to walk around outside and go from one side to the other?

And what is the cost?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Zoedokey

Round trip Juneau it was $259.95 pp as a ship tour. The 65 foot monohull vessel holds up to 46 people but it was not full. We may have had 38 max and it was easy to move around, go uptop, etc. The view is great from the cabin and not everybody wants to go uptop since it's very cold.

Round trip Juneau it was $259.95 pp as a ship tour. The 65 foot monohull vessel holds up to 46 people but it was not full. We may have had 38 max and it was easy to move around, go uptop, etc. The view is great from the cabin and not everybody wants to go uptop since it's very cold.

Wow, much more than the independents. But if it is all you have time for, you pay it.

Wow, much more than the independents. But if it is all you have time for, you pay it.

We had only a short time in Juneau from 9:00 to all aboard at 5;00. Not enough time to mess around with other vendors and lots of OBC. I thought it was a great way to spend the day....having been to Juneau several times.

There are other boats than Allen Marine that does this trip?

AdventureBound Alaska does an independent excursion from Juneau. Your ship must be in Juneau by 8 am to do the excursion. It is an all day excursion and takes up most of the time in Juneau.

AdventureBound Alaska does an independent excursion from Juneau. Your ship must be in Juneau by 8 am to do the excursion. It is an all day excursion and takes up most of the time in Juneau.

We went on AB on June 1st.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

This was after a large pieceof ice fell off and when the ice came back up the waterlevel coming toward us went up. Really neat!

enhance

This was the North Sawyer, way to much ice to go in there.

enhance

I just got off of the Emerald Princess this morning and we were unable to get into either Tracy or Endicott Arm this past week due to ice. We were aware that we wouldn't be able to get into Tracy Arm and were told we would be trying Endicott. The captain tried, but we encountered too many chunks of ice for it to be safe. The onboard naturalist, Shelley Gill, later told us of the landslide. She feels the ships won't be able to get in the rest of the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The onboard naturalist, Shelley Gill, later told us of the landslide. She feels the ships won't be able to get in the rest of the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Won't be able to get into Endicott Arm or Tracy Arm? Thanks.

The feeling is that the ship won't be able to get into either Tracy or Endicott Arm. The captain was very apologetic and said our safety was his highest priority...there was just too much ice. We ended up getting into Juneau about 2 1/2 hrs early because of the situation. We just added another excursion and has a great time!

The feeling is that the ship won't be able to get into either Tracy or Endicott Arm. The captain was very apologetic and said our safety was his highest priority...there was just too much ice. We ended up getting into Juneau about 2 1/2 hrs early because of the situation. We just added another excursion and has a great time!

Thanks for the explanation.