Ginger beer on the Unlimited Drinks Package

sasilke

Just a heads up for those non-drinkers or people in general who like ginger beer: It was available on our cruise on the Breakaway to Bermuda last week, which made me very happy. We had the Unlimited Drinks Package, which seemed like a waste on me since I don't drink, but once I saw there was ginger beer I was a happy person. I like the sharpness of ginger beer -- and it makes me feel more like an adult than just getting Diet Pepsi all the time. Also, there are only so many virgin sugary drinks one can handle in a week.

But at the end of the cruise, I was reprimanded by a bartender for ordering it. It was in the Moderno restaurant at lunch. He said he would have to charge me, because it was not on the drinks package. It is considered a mixer on the drinks package, but if you want to consume it WITHOUT alcohol, they will charge you.

I checked my account, and had not been charged for it all week, so I thought maybe he had the facts wrong. But later that night, at the Cirque de Soleil dinner, the waiter told me the same thing. So I stopped ordering them.

I'm glad someone told me they charged for them, because if I'd been charged when expecting my drinks were covered by the package, I would have felt very annoyed. I don't quite understand the logic, and I feel like it takes advantage of non drinkers. It felt like another step by the cruise to nickle and dime people on board.

So that's just a heads up for anyone else who likes ginger beer. It's not supposed to be free. You may get charged if you order it, even with the drinks package.

Just a heads up for those non-drinkers or people in general who like ginger beer: It was available on our cruise on the Breakaway to Bermuda last week, which made me very happy. We had the Unlimited Drinks Package, which seemed like a waste on me since I don't drink, but once I saw there was ginger beer I was a happy person. I like the sharpness of ginger beer -- and it makes me feel more like an adult than just getting Diet Pepsi all the time. Also, there are only so many virgin sugary drinks one can handle in a week.

But at the end of the cruise, I was reprimanded by a bartender for ordering it. It was in the Moderno restaurant at lunch. He said he would have to charge me, because it was not on the drinks package. It is considered a mixer on the drinks package, but if you want to consume it WITHOUT alcohol, they will charge you.

I checked my account, and had not been charged for it all week, so I thought maybe he had the facts wrong. But later that night, at the Cirque de Soleil dinner, the waiter told me the same thing. So I stopped ordering them.

I'm glad someone told me they charged for them, because if I'd been charged when expecting my drinks were covered by the package, I would have felt very annoyed. I don't quite understand the logic, and I feel like it takes advantage of non drinkers. It felt like another step by the cruise to nickle and dime people on board.

So that's just a heads up for anyone else who likes ginger beer. It's not supposed to be free. You may get charged if you order it, even with the drinks package.

Easy fix. I would like Ginger Beer with gin. Please put the gin on the side. (so I can throw it away later).

This would be a case where I would ask to speak to a Food & Beverage Manager. I would point out (nicely) that mixers are not among the listed exceptions to the UBP. Hopefully this is just a case of confusion. I believe mixers are not included in the soda packages and perhaps some staff have conflated that to apply to the UBP as well. Their one "out" may be that the UBP states that it is good for "unlimited fountain sodas."

You might want to contact customer service for a possible refund. You never know until you ask.

Wasteful, but I like it. How about a virgin Moscow Mule, hold the lime?

That's the way to do it and keep the system happy, including their computer. My wife likes Dark and Stormy but likes them with spice rum instead of dark rum. The Dark and Stormy is above the maximum on the drink package, even if you ask for the cheaper Capt. Morgan spiced rum instead in it. It still has to be rung up as a Dark and Stormy. So instead I now ask for a Moscow Mule (which is under the maximum) and say spiced rum in it instead of vodka. Then they (the computer) is happy. A beverage director told me to do that after they all scratched their heads trying to figure out how to make it work.

I don't know if it should be included or not however if you think about ordering N alcoholic drink with ginger beer, they are only going to pour in a certain amount of ginger beer. Not the whole can. So I can kinda see where the "ginger beer is not included" could come from if you were looking to get the whole can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And actually I buy ginger beer when at home (Like Cock and Bull brand best, 4 pack about $6 usually at grocery store, better than Goslings I think). . Ginger beer is somewhat more expensive than regular sodas (coke, pepsi, etc) So that may be part of it not being included.

Just a heads up for those non-drinkers or people in general who like ginger beer: It was available on our cruise on the Breakaway to Bermuda last week, which made me very happy.

Did they have the Gosling's brand?

They do the same thing with Red Bull

From the OP...there are only so many virgin sugary drinks one can handle in a week.

Yes; "on the side", for a quick throw away of that sugary Red Bull.

Edited by $hip$hape

From the OP...there are only so many virgin sugary drinks one can handle in a week.

Yes; "on the side", for a quick throw away of that sugary Red Bull.

They do make sugar free Red Bull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't even know this was an issue. We had 5 of us last Summer on the Dawn that were on the UDP. At least one of us ordered a Ginger Beer everytime we got drinks. We were never charged or told we that there was a charge associated with it.