Escape - Live 7/22

TheDougOut

Sue reviews her onboard account for the first time (with a nervous kid or two nearby)...

judX5919-SE

I don't think her charges are too bad, considering she hadn't prepaid the service charge. Mine is around $600, and I did prepay the service charge.

Both our totals reflect the $100 OBC that was already applied.

Sue reviews her onboard account for the first time (with a nervous kid or two nearby)...

judX5919-SE

I don't think her charges are too bad, considering she hadn't prepaid the service charge. Mine is around $600, and I did prepay the service charge.

Both our totals reflect the $100 OBC that was already applied.

OnBoard Account Review: Revenge of the Ducks

Coming July 2017 to a stateroom TV near you!

Doug, did you notice any difference in the ship's movement? Was the western route smoother or was "the shimmy" (haha) the same for both routes?

We had some rough/windy weather on the Dawn doing the western run out of New Orleans last December. But for both the Escape runs we had smooth sailings. I always thought the odd "shimmy" in the aft of the ship felt mechanical in nature, and have not felt it this time around.

17420ac47a5894990075905b3ee1ea99.jpg

be74eb58ef4aa5dc9c2d2f060c6a809a.jpg

In other non-news, I'm still tied for first and last place...

746140dd85527dc218976dd2abcd6586.jpg

why do you have to pay an upcharge when you use your SDP credit? I am a little confused as to why it's not included like with Cagney's?

Read the terms, I guess. Some of the restaurants have an upcharge. People could discuss why all day long, but it really doesn't matter. All I know is that when I get SDP for free, and I can have all you can eat at Pinchos for $7 each, we are going to do that every single time. :')

And I'm putting $100 OBC on "Emily A." Back-up bet on the guy from Norway. Have you met any of the competition?

I think I've run into 5 or 6 of them. Most are claiming they're not trying... gravitating toward a couple selections again and again. The "guy from Norway" thought he was in the mid 20s at the start of day 3, which is where I was at the time.

I could be anywhere between 30 and 55 right now... it really is tough to keep track. My new routine is just to stare at the coolers until I see something I don't recall having.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think I've run into 5 or 6 of them. Most are claiming they're not trying... gravitating toward a couple selections again and again. The "guy from Norway" thought he was in the mid 20s at the start of day 3, which is where I was at the time.

I could be anywhere between 30 and 55 right now... it really is tough to keep track. My new routine is just to stare at the coolers until I see something I don't recall having.

One of my local bars has an ongoing contest like this, and they keep track of it in a fun way using passports. As their foreign beer selection varies over time, the idea is to fill in a certain number of different beers from each country. When you fill a passport, you get a plaque with your picture on the wall. You'd think if NCL was limiting the number of people who signed up, they could do something similar, or at least print extra stacks of the current menu for personal tracking purposes.

One of my local bars has an ongoing contest like this, and they keep track of it in a fun way using passports. As their foreign beer selection varies over time, the idea is to fill in a certain number of different beers from each country. When you fill a passport, you get a plaque with your picture on the wall. You'd think if NCL was limiting the number of people who signed up, they could do something similar, or at least print extra stacks of the current menu for personal tracking purposes.

When I signed up last year on my Escape cruise the bartender gave me a beer list to take with me and I crossed out each bear until I had completed them all. The thing you had to watch out for was some of the bartenders would ring the beers in wrong (the bottle got rung in as the draft for instance) so it showed that I had missed 4 of the 84 beers, but I ended up tying with another cruisers so we both got the growler, the pint glasses and the tiny shaker. Fun fact, they had a handful of beers that were not on the beer list as well, so you have to ask the bartender if he has an unlisted beers! It was a blurry week...

I love how causal they are about it. It's just 80 bucks worth of rubber ducks, what's the big deal?

Doug how did your account get so high? I'm curious how you ran that up despite prepaying tips and having UBP.

Hey Doug,

Loving your review and photos of the Escape. We are planning a March 2018 family trip on her. I just noticed your signature and see you are from Rochester. We are Bob and Judy and live in Chili, NY. We will be new to NCL having cruised 9 times on Carnival and RCCL so I am finding your review very informative.

Later

Bob ;)

Doug how did your account get so high? I'm curious how you ran that up despite prepaying tips and having UBP.

Well that's a good question. The biggest chunks were the $245 Internet, $75 gratuity for Cam's Beer/Wine package, and $50 for Food Republic. Once you subtract out the OBC, that's still $300 worth of unaccounted "stuff".

We add gratuity at specialty dining restaurants... but only $10 or $15 per meal (all other extra tips are in cash). The girls also bought a couple photos this morning. Beyond that... I think we're looking at Starbucks and Ducks.

There's no one on the planet who deserves it more. Especially if you had to drink that Catalan rice beer.

If Norway steals it this time around, I'm counting on those that board tomorrow to bring the growler back home where it belongs.

My dad orders his favorite vintage while cruising, "large"...

92de9d85ff2f6eddcb36040d5706c013.jpg

I'm sad for you that the leader board isn't being updated. That was always part of the fun of the DH competing. Hilarious evening when he and the guy in second place were trying to match each other beer for beer. I had to then pour him into bed later[emoji4][emoji481]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well that's a good question. The biggest chunks were the $245 Internet, $75 gratuity for Cam's Beer/Wine package, and $50 for Food Republic. Once you subtract out the OBC, that's still $300 worth of unaccounted "stuff".

We add gratuity at specialty dining restaurants... but only $10 or $15 per meal (all other extra tips are in cash). The girls also bought a couple photos this morning. Beyond that... I think we're looking at Starbucks and Ducks.

For your next live report you should set up a Go Fund Me account and all of us on Cruise Critic will gladly pay for your internet package. Hell we would probably cover your whole cruise!