What is the appropriate amount to tip for room service?

parksguy99

Room service staff are part of the tip pool. What you want to tip beyond that is up to you. If you don't tip you are no more being cheap than if you didn't tip in the dining room every night

I believe the question is, do you tip extra in addition to the auto tip.

We know for sure that the DR staff is included but what about the room service personal. Are you positive that they're included?

Seems hard to believe that they wouldn't be part of the team.

OK, I'll bite. What on earth is a PIA experience?

Jim

"PIA Experience" is not part of the official CC Compendium of Abbreviations. (CCCA)

If my wife or I have been uncharacteristically fussy about room service, we tip a bit more. It is penance for our guilt causing a

Pain In (the) A__ Experience.

Thanks for asking [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Nice thing about this board you can make people think you are a big spender. Nobody leaves a 5 or 10 dollar tip for room service - it is probably 0 t0 1 dollar.

On some cruises we've had room service for dinner (on Celebrity we were able to order from the MDR menu). We ordered apps, entrees and desserts for 3 people. They had to bring a cart - we tipped $10.

It's not about being a big spender, it's about paying a tip commiserate to the amount of work.

I wouldn't tip that much for some coffee and bagels, but delivering a 3 course meal? I thought it fair.

FYI'

But the men who work the docks make far in excess of minimum wage. In fact, according to the union's own material, the average dockworker makes $147,000 in annual salary and pulls in $35,000 a year in employer-paid health care benefits. Pensions pay $80,000 a year.Feb 6, 2015

The baggage people are not dockworkers. Dockworkers are those who load and unload ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On some cruises we've had room service for dinner (on Celebrity we were able to order from the MDR menu). We ordered apps, entrees and desserts for 3 people. They had to bring a cart - we tipped $10.

It's not about being a big spender, it's about paying a tip commiserate to the amount of work.

I wouldn't tip that much for some coffee and bagels, but delivering a 3 course meal? I thought it fair.

You are talking about Celebrity on a Princess board - unless you are full suite you can't order a full dinner room service on Princess

Are you a dockworker?

I recall a cruise where we had to handle because thee longshoremen/dockworkers were on strike - can you explain that?

Because porters, if union members, wont cross a picket line by longshoremen.

You are talking about Celebrity on a Princess board - unless you are full suite you can't order a full dinner room service on Princess

We're in a Window Suite on the Caribbean Princess in November. If we decide to skip the dining room and order room service, we'll still tip accordingly - and for dinner that means more than the $0-$1 you say people tip.

All very interesting. My wife always asks our room steward how many people leave an extra tip at the end of the cruise. Never gotten a figure over one third.

We're in a Window Suite on the Caribbean Princess in November. If we decide to skip the dining room and order room service, we'll still tip accordingly - and for dinner that means more than the $0-$1 you say people tip.

Not everybody has a suite and mini suites do not count

Porters, or baggage handlers, are distinct from longshoremen. Longshoremen, usually ILA members, handle cargo loading/unloading. They may make big bucks because many handle the big cranes and other machinery.

Porters at Port Everglades have an average salary of 23k. So, like a waitress, they are dependent on tips to supplement their income. They are not employed by the cruise lines

"PIA Experience" is not part of the official CC Compendium of Abbreviations. (CCCA)

If my wife or I have been uncharacteristically fussy about room service, we tip a bit more. It is penance for our guilt causing a

Pain In (the) A__ Experience.

OK, thanks. I'm thinking this is better known as PITA.

Jim

The baggage people are not dockworkers. Dockworkers are those who load and unload ships.

Yes, they are, because my cousin and her husband work in San Pedro , and to pick up extra dough (not they they need it based on the already huge salaries), they work when the cruise ships come in to handle luggage. They are two longshore people married to each other and haul in around $297,000 K per year. She told me that the longshoremen also handle baggage on occasion.

Yes, they are, because my cousin and her husband work in San Pedro , and to pick up extra dough (not they they need it based on the already huge salaries), they work when the cruise ships come in to handle luggage. They are two longshore people married to each other and haul in around $297,000 K per year. She told me that the longshoremen also handle baggage on occasion.

Port Everglades is different.

Hi I have a cruise coming up this September and am wondering what is the appropriate amount to tip when I order room service?

Can anyone offer a suggestion,

Thanks

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

We only have tea in the morning for which we tip $1