Change after final payment question

Just looking for some clarification. My wife and I have a Central Park Balcony booked on the Allure and it is after final payment date. I see the price has dropped (about $120 total) for an "ocean view balcony guarantee." I called to see if they could switch it for us but they stated they couldn't because it isn't considered an "upgrade"... I don't know about you guys but a central park balcony to an ocean view balcony sounds like an upgrade to me... any help/suggestions?

PS we booked before the non-refundable stuff started.

UPDATE... After calling a third time the gentleman was able to see the price I was seeing on the website... He stated that it is considered an upgrade and that we could change to that "room" (guarantee ocean view balcony) BUT.... Our price can't be changed (wont get the $120 difference back) because its after final payment AND we would be converted to a non-refundable fare... which isn't the end of the world because we are so close to sail date (October) that I don't foresee any reason for us changing/cancelling. It is slightly annoying that it took three separate phone calls for them to finally agree... three different phone calls... three different people... three different stories :')

UPDATE... After calling a third time the gentleman was able to see the price I was seeing on the website... He stated that it is considered an upgrade and that we could change to that "room" (guarantee ocean view balcony) BUT.... Our price can't be changed (wont get the $120 difference back) because its after final payment AND we would be converted to a non-refundable fare... which isn't the end of the world because we are so close to sail date (October) that I don't foresee any reason for us changing/cancelling. It is slightly annoying that it took three separate phone calls for them to finally agree... three different phone calls... three different people... three different stories :')

If you are beyond final payment date, your deposit is already non-refundable, whether you make a change or not.

If you are beyond final payment date, your deposit is already non-refundable, whether you make a change or not.

Good point Bob.

Question... we currently have a Central Park Balcony room # 14191

The only ocean view balconies left are a D7 11686 and two D3s 11324 and 11328

From what I can tell they are all the same square footage. Any opinion on if its worth the change? Its a guarantee room so there's always the FAR OUT chance that we could get bumped up to a JS...

From what I can tell they are all the same square footage. Any opinion on if its worth the change? Its a guarantee room so there's always the FAR OUT chance that we could get bumped up to a JS...

You can't switch until you get an assignment, and then, only to another cabin in the same exact category.

I had a similar issue when trying to switch from our D8 (Superior Ocean View with Balcony) to a D2 (Superior Ocean View with Large Balcony). The first representative said it wasn't an upgrade because it was still a balcony. Nonsense.

Good point Bob.

Question... we currently have a Central Park Balcony room # 14191

Do you want your balcony to look out onto central park or the ocean? It's worth the change if you want to have a balcony on the ocean, not worth the change if you don't.

UPDATE So my wife and I decided to make the change and I am currently on the phone with RCL to make the change and they are quoting me an even lower price... AND hes saying they would credit our credit card back the difference.... I have told him that never happens because its after final payment date but he insists he is correct. HAHA he is checking with someone else right now. Will update again...

UPDATE He came back and said unfortunately they can't refund us any money because its past final payment (DUH) and that he couldn't upgrade us to the CAT X Ocean View Balcony Guarantee because its not considered an upgrade (yet another flip/flop) and that he could only offer me a D6 ocean view balcony for $18 more than what we already paid... needless to say we are just staying in the room we already have. Get your act together RCL so that all of your employees are on the same page.

Also make sure that all of your prior reservations aren't cancelled. We were going to upgrade to a JS and pay over 500 more but was told we would lose all of our show and dining reservations and that most of the shows were already full. Sounds crazy, right? And yes, I called a few times and talked to different people...all with the same answer. So we decided to stay in our original cabin and put the 500 toward our next cruise:)

Happy cruising!

Also make sure that all of your prior reservations aren't cancelled. We were going to upgrade to a JS and pay over 500 more but was told we would lose all of our show and dining reservations and that most of the shows were already full. Sounds crazy, right? And yes, I called a few times and talked to different people...all with the same answer. So we decided to stay in our original cabin and put the 500 toward our next cruise:)

Happy cruising!

VERY good point! Never thought of that. We do have all of our show times booked already and that would suck if they all got cancelled out. We are just sticking with what we have. Thanks for the help everyone

UPDATE He came back and said unfortunately they can't refund us any money because its past final payment (DUH) and that he couldn't upgrade us to the CAT X Ocean View Balcony Guarantee because its not considered an upgrade (yet another flip/flop) and that he could only offer me a D6 ocean view balcony for $18 more than what we already paid... needless to say we are just staying in the room we already have. Get your act together RCL so that all of your employees are on the same page.

You are kidding us!:confused:

You seriously turned down an OV balcony because of $18!!!:eek::eek::o

That's what I call frugal!:D

Happy cruising!

I upgraded to JS (also paid 500 more) and did not lose any of my shows or dinner reservations.

I'm glad you didn't lose any reservations:) I tried to get someone who would agree to keep our reservations, but since no one would, I gave up. It may have to do with our TA being from a big box store. Apparently they put us in a group (unbeknownst to us) after we transferred our on board booking to them. Live and learn......

Happy for you that you were able to upgrade! Enjoy your JS cabin...especially the bathroom. That's what I was looking forward to most.

You are kidding us!:confused:

You seriously turned down an OV balcony because of $18!!!:eek::eek::o

That's what I call frugal!:D

I re read my post and I understand how you got that impression but it was more of the uncertainty of the switch. I got 4 different stories from 4 different people and the last person I spoke to was the one that was initially saying we would be getting over $400 back even though I knew that was impossible but then he came back on the phone and said he could get us an ocean view for the increased price... it wasn't the price that made me say no... it was the ineptitude of the individual I was speaking with on our cruise... was worth the headache/hassle if our reservation got screwed up.

Regardless, we booked the Central Park Balcony because we have never booked one before and are looking to try something new.

Happy Cruising everyone!

I guess I was lucky. My travel agent did the upgrade while I was on the phone and when I checked my reservation on royal's site, saw that they had immediately assigned me a cabin and everything on my cruise planner was intact. Good thing as I had 14 reservations!

I re read my post and I understand how you got that impression but it was more of the uncertainty of the switch. I got 4 different stories from 4 different people and the last person I spoke to was the one that was initially saying we would be getting over $400 back even though I knew that was impossible but then he came back on the phone and said he could get us an ocean view for the increased price... it wasn't the price that made me say no... it was the ineptitude of the individual I was speaking with on our cruise... was worth the headache/hassle if our reservation got screwed up.

Regardless, we booked the Central Park Balcony because we have never booked one before and are looking to try something new.

Happy Cruising everyone!

You should rethink this. $18 for an ocean view is a bargain. After the first day of looking at trees, and no breeze. You'll be sorry

Edited by cruisinfanatic

I really have to join the Chorus on this one. Pay them $18 and don't look back. Please. You won't regret it.

So my wife got home from work and we were actually able to discuss face to face and decided to call them back on speaker phone and speak with someone to make sure that price was correct and everything was on the up and up... well low and behold... yet ANOTHER different story/price. The difference this time was the woman was extremely nice and we could understand and trust everything she was telling us. The best she could find was a D7 ocean view balcony for an additional $480... not worth it to us. I think the $18 increase was incorrect to begin with... that was coming from the same guy who told me I would get a refund for the price difference after final payment...

I did get clarification from her that RC only looks at an upgrade as an increase in price of what we originally paid not a better category... I figured an ocean view balcony was considered an upgrade from a central park balcony but they don't see it that way.