Can you get a refund on your deposit on a different card?

Hello. I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with this.

I booked a cruise (it is refundable) for 2019 on a credit card, but due to financial problems we are cutting back and I wanted to get our deposit back to help with our troubles (otherwise I'd just move it dates later on).

The problem is that the credit card I used to book the cruise is no longer valid. It was cancelled.

Can I still get my deposit back?

I know I need to call them (and I will), but not all rep's seem to give the same answer to any question anymore, so was wanting to see if anyone else had an experience with this before I tried to contact them?

I'd really hate to loose the money if it got refunded to a card that is no longer valid.

Thank you!

This happened to me and the answer was no. What I did instead was have them move the refund to the balance owed on another booked cruise. I was also told that they will refund to the last credit card used, so if you make a subsequent payment on your cruise and then have to cancel, the last card used will be the one they refund to. That's been my experience.

This happened to me and the answer was no. What I did instead was have them move the refund to the balance owed on another booked cruise. I was also told that they will refund to the last credit card used, so if you make a subsequent payment on your cruise and then have to cancel, the last card used will be the one they refund to. That's been my experience.

Thanks for your reply. Sadly we won't be cruising for awhile, so moving the balance won't help. I guess I could keep switching ships every year until we finally can afford to go again, but this is such a hassle!

Also, like I said, we have been going through a hard time, we can't afford to pay more on it... unless it can be a very very small amount. I will ask them about this when I call.

Thank you guys. I will keep watching for reply's and see what all my options are before calling.

Thanks for your reply. Sadly we won't be cruising for awhile, so moving the balance won't help. I guess I could keep switching ships every year until we finally can afford to go again, but this is such a hassle!

With the NRD fares, moving a booking won't really be an option any more.

Well I just made a test call to see what the first person I talked to would say... they told me it would be "illegal" to refund the money to another other card even if it is cancelled... and what would happen is they have to "attempt" to refund it then they will mail a check... I asked if there was a way around this like by paying more with a different card and was told "not that's illegal" if say you pay $200 on one card and $200 on another then both cards get refunded $200...

Is this accurate? I feel bad questioning the rep on the phone... but there have been so many mixed posts about different rep's saying different things.

The best you can do, is cancel it, and let it go it's course. No, they can't refund to another credit card. Even if in theory it's the same account. Example, I bought an item in a store, and shortly after that I had a fraud issue. I received a new card. Went to return the item, and they couldn't. They had to try first, and was unsuccessful, so I was issued a gift card instead. Not an issue in this case, but it was a process. So if you need to cancel, just cancel, and make sure you at least have them notate your account, so they know, and might speed things up.

Hello. I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with this.

I booked a cruise (it is refundable) for 2019 on a credit card, but due to financial problems we are cutting back and I wanted to get our deposit back to help with our troubles (otherwise I'd just move it dates later on).

The problem is that the credit card I used to book the cruise is no longer valid. It was cancelled.

Can I still get my deposit back?

I know I need to call them (and I will), but not all rep's seem to give the same answer to any question anymore, so was wanting to see if anyone else had an experience with this before I tried to contact them?

I'd really hate to loose the money if it got refunded to a card that is no longer valid.

Thank you!

My memory from a friend I sailed with who had the card canceled because of fraud, they had to issue a check from RC Corporate and that took about 60 days. This was several years ago FWIW.

Yes it was.

Okay, the reason I asked was because I've personally known of two separate instances where a bank account was issued a new debit card but the account was debited (gym membership) and credited (vacation deposit) after the card had a new number.

The best you can do, is cancel it, and let it go it's course. No, they can't refund to another credit card. Even if in theory it's the same account. Example, I bought an item in a store, and shortly after that I had a fraud issue. I received a new card. Went to return the item, and they couldn't. They had to try first, and was unsuccessful, so I was issued a gift card instead. Not an issue in this case, but it was a process. So if you need to cancel, just cancel, and make sure you at least have them notate your account, so they know, and might speed things up.

I just returned something to a store a few days ago that was purchased using a credit card and when the machine asked me to insert my card I just put in my debit card. So it seems like some places you can refund to a different card and some places you can't.

Okay, the reason I asked was because I've personally known of two separate instances where a bank account was issued a new debit card but the account was debited (gym membership) and credited (vacation deposit) after the card had a new number.

Yes, because for a check card that's connected to a bank account, in most cases where there has been a new card issued due to fraud, the entire account is not changed - just the card. I've had it happen to me, and the way the bank guy explained it was "Closing the card basically stops anything from coming OUT of the connected account. It will still allow things like refunds to go in. Because the basic thinking is someone committing fraud is NOT going to be putting money IN your account - and it does only work for refunds." I don't know why it doesn't work for credit cards, but it doesn't seem to work the same. Then it is the "attempt to refund and then cut a check when it is returned because of no account" thing. Which applies if you've changed banks as well. Though I will say I had cancelled something after closing my accounts with one bank and moving them to another and the first bank sent the check to me - they still had a record of the account information. But again, that was a check card that had been used.

As for the other part of your post...I'm surprised that actually worked. I would not count on it happening again.

Yes, because for a check card that's connected to a bank account, in most cases where there has been a new card issued due to fraud, the entire account is not changed - just the card. I've had it happen to me, and the way the bank guy explained it was "Closing the card basically stops anything from coming OUT of the connected account. It will still allow things like refunds to go in. Because the basic thinking is someone committing fraud is NOT going to be putting money IN your account - and it does only work for refunds." I don't know why it doesn't work for credit cards, but it doesn't seem to work the same. Then it is the "attempt to refund and then cut a check when it is returned because of no account" thing. Which applies if you've changed banks as well. Though I will say I had cancelled something after closing my accounts with one bank and moving them to another and the first bank sent the check to me - they still had a record of the account information. But again, that was a check card that had been used.

As for the other part of your post...I'm surprised that actually worked. I would not count on it happening again.

But like I said money went both OUT and IN, in my case.

Thanks guys. We cancelled the card completely do to an issue we had with the company. It is resolved now, but we no longer have any credit cards with them.

I am a bit confused about what someone said earlier... can you no longer transfer deposits to another cruise due to NRD (I booked this before they started that)? Like say I can go in 2020... can I no longer switch the deposit in 2018/2019 before final payment?

Just trying to figure out my best course of action right now, because if it's to hard to get a refund... it might just be easier to wait and see what happens and change dates later on when things get better.

(Glad I only paid the deposit right now!)

Thanks guys. We cancelled the card completely do to an issue we had with the company. It is resolved now, but we no longer have any credit cards with them.

I am a bit confused about what someone said earlier... can you no longer transfer deposits to another cruise due to NRD (I booked this before they started that)? Like say I can go in 2020... can I no longer switch the deposit in 2018/2019 before final payment?

Just trying to figure out my best course of action right now, because if it's to hard to get a refund... it might just be easier to wait and see what happens and change dates later on when things get better.

(Glad I only paid the deposit right now!)

Example of the non-refundable deposit: Cruises for next yr I put deposit down on you have 2 choices same deposit amount. 1st you pay more for the total price of the cruise. OR. 2nd or get a discount on the total amount of cruise but if cancel you loose the deposit. I am always picking the higher price with option cancel the cruise and getting my deposit back.

Why not call the credit card company and ask what happens to a refund on a closed account, you would get a correct answer.

I was going to suggest this too. You may find that a credit issued to a closed account will be settled by the issuing bank mailing you a check. This is what I would expect to happen.

I am sure you will get your deposited refunded...it will just take a little more thought and follow up on your part. Sorry to hear of your troubles and postponed cruise. Good luck!

You can move your booking, but, the price between NRD and refundable may be large enough to not make sense financially and then you are stuck with a NRD booking which would cost you $100 pp to move in the future.

It might take a while, but call and get your deposit back. Cruise when you are financially able.

I had the same situation and the credit card company told me that even if the card is cancelled a credit can still be issued to it. Then once it is you can have the credit card company send you a check. Have you asked the cc company about that?