Mr Sanchos vs Nachi Cocom: People Who Have Been There Recently.. Pros & Cons of both

sabri

I have gone to Nachi Cocom at least 3 times, always with my husband or brother and once with my daughter as well (so I've never gone alone and cannot speak to if that is dangerous). But every time I found the staff helpful and accommodating. Every time the food has been at least very good if not excellent. I personally don't drink anything but coke - but my brother always has mixed drinks and my hubby usually has maybe one iced daiquiri-type drink. NONE of us have ever gotten even slightly ill.

I based my planning of our first trip to NC because of CC forums and I was not disappointed. It's a little far from the port - (though maybe not that far and just feels that way?!) but totally worth it.

Mr. Sanchos also has great reviews just seems a little more party and/or for families with younger kids kind of atmosphere. NC is relaxing and you will relax the day away.

OH - last time my brother treated me to a beach massage for my birthday that was not expensive and it was fabulous!!

Sorry that someone had a bad experience but I've highly recommended NC and will continue to do so unless I find it to be sub-par.

This trip coming up in November will be the first time that I don't plan to go to NC - at least for now - but ONLY because I'm bringing my bff who is a first time cruiser that wants more than anything to snorkel and see a lot. I've brought my snorkeling gear to NC and had fun - but there wasn't much to see there so I'm exploring options.

It happened to us too. We have visited Nachi numerous times and fell in love with the place. It was so private and never crowded. Last summer we were there on our 6th visit and my husband became very sick and blacked out after 3 drinks and lunch. It was horrifying. My parents went several months later and she had the same experience at Nachi. She says that there are hours of that day that she cannot remember. We will never go back to Nachi.

We went to Nachi's a couple of years ago, I had a couple of beers & a couple of Margaritas in a time span of 5 hours. Drink way more on the ship. We were there with a big group from the ship, and we left early as we were going to pick a few things up in the port before getting back on. While we were waiting for the cab I started feeling off and queasy. During the cab ride I was feeling more out of it, and felt like maybe I had been drugged. After getting to the port I had a hard time getting on the ship and pretty much blacked out. Woke up 8 hours later remembering nothing past being in the port. Although I felt as I was drugged I wrote it off as to much to drink in the sun. The next day found out two of the other women in our group had the exact same experience who also wrote it off as to much to drink in the sun. One had also ordered margaritas and the other tequila sunrises. Everyone else in the group was fine and no one else drank drinks with tequila (mostly bottled beer and mudslides). I truly felt like I had been drugged and after finding out the next day that 3 out of 3 had the same reaction with the tequila was almost positive, one of the husbands thought maybe they were using whole grain alcohol in some of their drinks to cut costs. It sounded plausible, but now that all the information is out about the bootleg & tainted liquor that is used in Mexico, the reactions from it, & the dangers I am positive that they use bootleg tequila. I have seen estimates from their government that anywhere from 39% - 49% (depending on the year) of the liquor being served in Mexico is bootlegged most of which is tequila & rum. With those percentages and my own experience I vowed not to drink anything in Mexico but bottled beer. The thing about bootleg alcohol is there is no regulation and any two batches even by the same bootlegger may not be the same.

You can stick your head in the sand and say it didn't happen because you have been there and it didn't happen to you, or someone didn't go to the ship doctor, or didn't report it somewhere but you are seriously risking it at ANY of these resorts. Even the resorts where deaths have happened not everyone in the resort had the same experience but it is happening and it is a very scary experience when it does happen to you. We are going back to Nachi's this fall with a large group, I will not be drinking anything but bottled beer. They have a great quiet beach, we could go someplace else but there is just a good of chance of getting tainted alcohol anywhere else. Tainted alcohol has been collected from places like Carlos & Charlies and Hooter's. In August they seized over 10,000 gallons of tainted alcohol in the Cancun area (and their govt. is so corrupt I wouldn't be surprised if they sold it back to them, the raid was only to protect their tourism business after a lot of bad publicity). If you do not want to believe it is going on in Cozumel you maybe the next victim. Do yourself a favor enjoy the beaches and save mixed drinks for the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow! Victim shaming......classy.

Alleged victim! No one has proven that a spiked drink was served and responsible - maybe it was a medical condition, maybe something consumed before they arrived at the resort, maybe dehydration played a role.

We (group of 4 adults) were just at Nachi this past February. Very quiet but nice. The food is so good and authentic. The staff are very friendly ( in a subdued manner ).

Paradise Beach is probably our slight favourite however. Nicer beach, more to do and just a livelier vibe.

Im male, 6'3" and 225lbs. I do like to drink and can handle a good amount. Sad to say this past trip to Nachi did not end well. I only remember bits and pieces after arriving back to ship. Did not get sick but woke up 16 hours later. Did not make sense for either me or my wife. The tainted alcohol does make sense. Its a Mexican problem, not just a Nachi problem.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Forums mobile app

Alleged victim! No one has proven that a spiked drink was served and responsible - maybe it was a medical condition, maybe something consumed before they arrived at the resort, maybe dehydration played a role.

There are three or four similar stories in this thread alone, all from established CC members.

I was beginning to think that the first/original poster's story was sketchy...

But, others seem to also be coming forward.

I now tend to agree with R&M's post, above.

I have always felt this way about this situation in Mexico, and it seems that Nachi is not immune.

I wish there were some way to bring our own bottle of Rum/Tequila!!!

Don't think you can do that on a Princess Cruise Ship.

I was beginning to think that the first/original poster's story was sketchy...

But, others seem to also be coming forward.

I now tend to agree with R&M's post, above.

I have always felt this way about this situation in Mexico, and it seems that Nachi is not immune.

I wish there were some way to bring our own bottle of Rum/Tequila!!!

Don't think you can do that on a Princess Cruise Ship.

I'm dubious about the poster who claims to have thrown up pieces of xanax, because her story changed from one post to another. Maybe she was just trying to make the story more dramatic, which is a bad idea because it casts doubt on one's story and everyone else's, especially when you get caught.

But so many people have come forward now, and the press coverage ...

The first ladies complaint was that she was drugged in her food. Since that is prepared fresh on site that could only be viewed as something that someone on the NC staff did and I view that as something much different than tainted alcohol that NC purchases unknowingly. I'm not sure if the alcohol problem is far and wide or not. I do know that although Tequila is considered a Mexican liquor it is not that popular in the Yucatan. It's a northern and central region drink... They drink mostly beer in the Yucatan. Tequila and I don't get along anyway so I won't be testing that out... I will be at NC next Friday and in the interest of science and CC followers I'll give my liver a hard time and see how it goes?

The first ladies complaint was that she was drugged in her food. Since that is prepared fresh on site that could only be viewed as something that someone on the NC staff did and I view that as something much different than tainted alcohol that NC purchases unknowingly. I'm not sure if the alcohol problem is far and wide or not. I do know that although Tequila is considered a Mexican liquor it is not that popular in the Yucatan. It's a northern and central region drink... They drink mostly beer in the Yucatan. Tequila and I don't get along anyway so I won't be testing that out... I will be at NC next Friday and in the interest of science and CC followers I'll give my liver a hard time and see how it goes?

Looking forward to your follow up. I'm scheduled to be at NC in Nov (recommendation from friends that just love it), but now some of these reports have made me nervous. I love foo foo drinks like mudslides, pina coladas, margaritas (might want to forgo this tequila drink), daiquiris, wine ... rarely drink beer (unless it is ice cold).

I'm dubious about the poster who claims to have thrown up pieces of xanax, because her story changed from one post to another. Maybe she was just trying to make the story more dramatic, which is a bad idea because it casts doubt on one's story and everyone else's, especially when you get caught.

But so many people have come forward now, and the press coverage ...

Yes. I'm also wondering why her story changed. Interesting that she dropped the "bomb" on this and other similar posts, and then disappeared. There are a troubling amount of "blackout" stories, but none attributed to Xanax, or suspected drugging. Xanax typically doesn't make you blackout, right (maybe when combined with alcohol)? And if there is someone spiking food with prescription drugs, it seems odd that they would target random people in groups (referring to other posts on here, not the solo traveler).

I agree that the bad alcohol is a Mexico problem and not unique to NC, which is why I will stick to bottled beer when I'm there in April, just in case. If the Xanax in the guacamole allegation is indeed true, well that is much more concerning. Again, without a follow up from that poster and explanation as to why she has two versions of the story - it's hard to give it much credit.

Yes. I'm also wondering why her story changed. Interesting that she dropped the "bomb" on this and other similar posts, and then disappeared. There are a troubling amount of "blackout" stories, but none attributed to Xanax, or suspected drugging. Xanax typically doesn't make you blackout, right (maybe when combined with alcohol)? And if there is someone spiking food with prescription drugs, it seems odd that they would target random people in groups (referring to other posts on here, not the solo traveler).

I agree that the bad alcohol is a Mexico problem and not unique to NC, which is why I will stick to bottled beer when I'm there in April, just in case. If the Xanax in the guacamole allegation is indeed true, well that is much more concerning. Again, without a follow up from that poster and explanation as to why she has two versions of the story - it's hard to give it much credit.

I guess I'll also say in closing that xanax is bitter as heck (or at least my generic pills are) and enough of it to actually affect you that much would surely ruin any guacamole. =D

Well, now I see that we can buy a 375ml bottle of rum onboard our cruise, for a price!!!

VERY limited spirits available... only Cruzan Coconut for rum. (We do like that Cruzan, but usually also use a stronger rum with it.)

That would doctor up a few virgin drinks!

If your looking to doctor virgin drinks in port at the beach I would trust a sealed name brand liquor from the store (maybe I am being the naive one here now). Pour it in a couple of water bottles and in with your beach bag or backpack. If your at an all-inclusive, I really don't think they are going to care what you pour in your drink, after all no alcohol is even cheaper for them than bootleg alcohol.

I get your problem (and others) with her story. But I wasn't there nor am I a doctor or pharmacist. I can say when I left NC it was not a feeling of being drunk, which is exactly why I felt I had been drugged. It was a definite loss of motor skills and even if had thrown up, by the time I was back to the ship it was already in my system and throwing up would not have taken care of the problem. After a year and a half though when I started reading the numerous black out stories that are based on people drinking tainted alcohol and the effects it made complete sense. She said in one of her posts that the Xanax was crushed, if it were crushed how do recognize it? If it were crushed I would think it would be completely broken down and past the stomach by the time you get back to the ship. If you are having effects from it, it has moved past the stomach. Having only one drink (not much alcohol in a pina colada) and the guac, if she felt like I did I would insist that I had been drugged also. But at this point would be thinking it was tainted alcohol. However, being fine after throwing up with enough time to leave NC and get back to the ship makes no sense to me nor does seeing pieces of crushed pills as recognizable Xanax. I tend to think that something did happen and the story was embellished. Although, everyone that ingests tainted alcohol will react differently based on several factors (amount you ingest, your own metabolism, your height/weight) we had left the beach area before any kind of reaction started and I was beyond out of it by the time we reached the pier (I started feeling off while we were waiting for the cab). I am just glad we left early and did not stay for one more drink. Again, bottled beer only for me in Mexico for now on!

I so have not disappeared. I have posted on here for years! Am going on a cruise in November as I now do Southern Caribbean cruises because I prefer them. You know, I hesitated posting this in the first place last year when it happened, or now because I am well aware how people like to pick others apart because it is something that many of us do not like to think of ever happening to themself and because you do not know me and have no idea if I am credible or not. So I understand. . Because I am very clear what happened to me, and because I thought I shd say something, I posted. I realize now that some other posters do not believe me, which is their prerogative but sad. I hope it happens to no one else. And for those who wonder how I could recognize Xanax in guac... I was a prosecutor for years as well as a drug court attorney. The shape of the Xanax pills appeared to be the broken end of a xanax bar which is a 2mg. Drugs & Rx drugs are my practice as an atty. And I can tell you that Xanax and alcohol are not a good combo. I will be graphic. There were pieces of white pills in the vomit. Because of what I do for a living, I am familiar with benzodiazepines because they are a drug of abuse. I could have brought back a nasty bag of vomit for the GBI crime lab and paid a fee to have it analyzed. But quite candidly, without proper refrigeration, the gastric juices would continue the decomp but certainly the contents and crime lab analysis of the drug would of course still be there. But I chose to try and have a good rest of my trip as I was absolutely pissed for allowing myself to become a victim. So no I have not disappeared, but I am not on the Cozumel forum. My friends and fellow attorneys and prosecutors were just glad I was OK. And when I continued to read about some of the druggings that occur, not just in mexico, but anywhere, I thought I wd speak up.

I so have not disappeared. I have posted on here for years! Am going on a cruise in November as I now do Southern Caribbean cruises because I prefer them. You know, I hesitated posting this in the first place last year when it happened, or now because I am well aware how people like to pick others apart because it is something that many of us do not like to think of ever happening to themself and because you do not know me and have no idea if I am credible or not. So I understand. . Because I am very clear what happened to me, and because I thought I shd say something, I posted. I realize now that some other posters do not believe me, which is their prerogative but sad. I hope it happens to no one else. And for those who wonder how I could recognize Xanax in guac... I was a prosecutor for years as well as a drug court attorney. The shape of the Xanax pills appeared to be the broken end of a xanax bar which is a 2mg. Drugs & Rx drugs are my practice as an atty. And I can tell you that Xanax and alcohol are not a good combo. I will be graphic. There were pieces of white pills in the vomit. Because of what I do for a living, I am familiar with benzodiazepines because they are a drug of abuse. I could have brought back a nasty bag of vomit for the GBI crime lab and paid a fee to have it analyzed. But quite candidly, without proper refrigeration, the gastric juices would continue the decomp but certainly the contents and crime lab analysis of the drug would of course still be there. But I chose to try and have a good rest of my trip as I was absolutely pissed for allowing myself to become a victim. So no I have not disappeared, but I am not on the Cozumel forum. My friends and fellow attorneys and prosecutors were just glad I was OK. And when I continued to read about some of the druggings that occur, not just in mexico, but anywhere, I thought I wd speak up.

Thank you for coming back and further expounding on your experience. That's all I was asking - your experience is concerning but I needed additional information. There is also confusion about what appears to be another version of the story, that someone else saw on another forum and commented on in here.

Also wondering if you filed any kind of report (even after you returned from your cruise) with either the cruise line or Mexican authorities, or with NC itself? I would think the owners of NC would be very interested to hear about your experience, since they rely on tourists for their livelihood. Perhaps it is not too late to do so, just to get it on the record somewhere - in case it happens to someone else?